• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

capture card w/new tv problem

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I watched your video Kiyoru.

The input that you're used to is called "Composite" video. It has three cables: red, white, and yellow. The yellow one sends video (the picture) and the red and white send sound (in stereo, that's why there's two).

The thing you're seeing on your TV is "Component" video. It also has red and white cables for sound, but it's video is different. Rather than having one yellow cable, they have three different ones. (Red blue and green)

So simply put, there's no way to plug your composite video into your component TV. Though every TV I've seen has composite input for backwards compatibility. What TV do you have exactly? I find it hard to believe that it doesn't have composite input somewhere.

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
Thank you for the reply.

Hm, it's an LG TV. I'm really not sure what make, actually.. I'll edit this if I can find out. But, are you saying I need another cable, different from my current one? I had a look on the back and here's what is there:

-COMPONENT IN-

VIDEO:
GREEN, BLUE, RED

AUDIO:
WHITE, RED

-RGB (PC) IN-

-ANTENNA IN-

-HDMI/DVI IN-

-AUDIO IN
RGB/DVI IN-

-RS-232C IN
(CONTROL AND SERVICE)-

-2 AV SLOTS-

-PCMCIA CARD SLOT-

That's all of the sockets in the back of my tv.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, you're out of luck then. I am surprised that your TV doesn't have a composite input. They usually do just for backwards compatibility. But if not, there's not much you can do.

Note: It appears that there are component to composite converters, but they run in the $400 range. So that's probably out of the question. Try googling "Component to composite converter".

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
You're kidding?! :(

So, there's no way I can connect my Capture Card to a Component TV? Is there not a different cable to plug in to my Capture Card with Component cables on the end instead of Composite, that I could plug into my TV?

Top Bottom