• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Capture Card AND Game Bridge?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I've been capturing video of smash for a while now. I just want to be able to capture multiple setups at once now (for tourneys). So, i thought i'd get a vcr (that way, i could use both my computer and my vcr at once). Turns out, that vcrs don't really get sold too much anymore, and i am having difficulty finding an appropriate one.

So, i look into dvd recorders. Hm. These guys seem ok... until you take a finer look. more specifically at the price. There are only a few under $70, and the cheapest ones (around $55-60) have consumer reviews saying they break and go bad after 12 months. Also, some don't support lower quality recording (allowing on the upwards of 6-8 hrs). And others who bring vcrs i won't be able to capture w/ this.

Ideally, i want a recording device that stores its data on reusable media. Is preferably a vcr (since vcrs are more common for others to bring/ buy). and is under $70.

Any other way that ppl record lots of setups at once would be legitimate suggestions as well.

Thanks for your help.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Here's what Amazon has VCR-wise

Yesterday, I had some friends over, and I had 2 setups going. My first one was at my computer, with my Gamebridge capturing.

The second was at my TV in the basement, with a digital camera (a Nikon Coolpix L10) on a tripod. It worked really well (it records it Quicktime though. Ew). If you do have a digital camera with a video mode (or even a digital camcorder) and a tripod, you should be good for one setup.

Here's how much video you can put on a 1 Gigabyte SD card on my camera in each mode (to give you an idea):

640 x 480, 30 fps: 19m40s
640 x 480 15 fps: 28m19s
320 x 240 30 fps: 53m27s
320 x 240 15 fps: 1h43m55s
160 x 120 15 fps: 5h14m2s

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Basically, what i'm trying to do here is provide complete (or close to complete) video coverage of a series of bi-weeklies my crew will be hosting.
Well, i already have a capture device for my laptop (and have been using my tv's AV-out to capture for a while).
Perhaps i'll get a game bridge as well, and capture w/ both simultaneously (while running tio nonetheless), anyone tried this before?
I'll probably end up getting that $40 VCR (if i can't borrow one from my parents).

Hopefully, the rest of my crew will be able to cover about 3-5 more capture sources.

What i'd really like to ask, is: Can I capture w/ my capture card AND a Game Bridge at the same time?

_kSo_

Smash Master
methinks your computer won't be fast enough to capture 2 tvs at once. but perhaps you could try. if not, hook the gb up to your desktop or vice versa

SCOTU

Smash Hero
First off, i only have a laptop, so i don't have a desktop to work with. Sencond, my "capture card" is basically like a GB, so it does all the capture w/ my CPU, so that is what i was worried about. However, I'm also running a 3.4 GHz P4, which is great for data chunking. It doesn't even break a sweat (under 50% CPU utilization) to capture off my card, run Tio, and run excel simultaneously, so i was wondering how much impact does an additional vid capture device (all cpu based, like GB) actually have? And if anyone has done this before or two GBs, please let me know your results. Thanks.

Top Bottom