• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain N: The Game Master

Want to see the original Captain N The Game Master in Super Smash Brothers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
THE GAME MASTER!!!!

image.jpg

(Yes, that little vomit-green colored thing in the bottom-right is Mega Man, and the genetic combination of Gastone and a WW1 Flying Ace in the background is Simon Belmont. Oh, and fat Squidward over there is King Hippo.)

The concept was originally conceived as a short-lived Nintendo Power comic series titled Captain Nintendo, where a Nintendo employee become Captain Nintendo, and must fight Mother Brain in the real world.

But that is not what this thread is about. The concept in the comics gained enough attention and popularity that is was changed drastically and made into a TV show titled, "Captain N! The Game Master."
And if you're already fascinated just by reading the title, lets dive in to the story, shall we?

The basic plot is that a 15-year-old high school student named Kevin Keene gets transported to the video game world, where he must saved the world from the evil ranks of Mother Brain, Eggplant Wizard, and King Hippo.
To do this, he must team up with some of the most famous video game character of all time (only about the last decade, because video games weren't around that long at this point).

How could this idea go horribly wrong, you ask?
Simple. Every little fact about Nintendo characters are wrong. Pit's name is "Kid Icarus" and he looks emo and always says "-icus" after everything he says, Mega Man is fat, green, and speaks like a smoker' and adds "mega" into random sentences, like "That's Mega-Great!" for example. Simon Belmont, the best vampire slayer in the world, is a flamboyant coward who is dressed like a WWII flying-ace.
Not to mention that Mother Brain is pink Swiss cheese that is voiced by the plant from Little Shop of Horrors (seriously, it was the same voice-actor)
Really he wasn't even teaming up with the best video game characters. He was just teaming up with the famous characters that didn't have their own shows at the time
!

There was also a comic book by Valiant Comics that was based on the show. Though this was better than the actual TV show, to be honest. It had 5 issues, no third-paty characters, and had better developed plots and story lines.
And it had Samus, which is cool I guess.

But Why Should He Be In Smash Bros.?
I'm Because why not? He could serve as a historical character like Mr. G & W, or R.O.B.
Don't worry, I have more to back up this character:
1. The show was basically the original Smash Bros.
Captain N was the first time that a bunch of Nintendo characters all got together, and fought evil. As terrible as this may be, this was the first step on the pathway to future Nintendo crossovers, like Smash itself.

2. He uses Nintendo hardware to fight.
Nothing says "historical" like actually fighting with history. Many other people say that Duck Hunt Dog can use the NES Zapper in battle, but he doesn't actually do that. Captain N on the other hand, actually uses the Zapper many times, and it is his main weapon.

3. Samus, Pit, and Mega Man are already in Smash, and Blemont is a possibility.
Wouldn't it be cool to have the entire N Team back together once again. There could even be some 4th wall shattering moments, like Mega Man and Pit looking at each other and saying "Mega" and "icus" while laughing hysterically!

4. This is a chance for the character to be modernized/rebooted.
Nitendo said they are more willing to get their character out there to be licensed for TV shows or stuff.
This is the perfect opportunity to revive Captain N, and have him be in an all new TV show, or even be in his won game!

The 3 Big Arguments:

Whenever the idea of Captain N as a SSB fighter, there tends to be 3 key counter-arguments to it: Nintendo doesn't own Captain N, Captain N was a U.S. only show, and anime characters can't be in Smash.
All of these are claims are false.

-NINTENDO OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE CHARACTER.
The first is the false notion that the animation studio that made the show, DiC, are the owners of the character. In truth fellow Captain N fans have emailed both companies over the years & had it confirmed to them multiple times that Nintendo indeed are the owners of the character while DiC owns the "video rights" to the show. The guy who was in charge of the show's DVD release has posted on Captain N fan forums confirming this & adding that the concept arts sketches for the show were still stored somewhere within NOA's HQ, further affirming Nintendo's ownership of the IP. So provided that there's no actual video clips from the show in SSB4 (& why would there be any?), he should be legally viable.

-CAPTAIN N DID AIR IN JAPAN (maybe), AMONG OTHER COUNTRIES.
Next point is he wouldn't get in because people in Japan won't know who he is. While I can't find any proof of it, I swear I've heard before that the show was dubbed in Japanese at some point. There are certainly plenty of videos on youtube of it dubbed in other languages like Spanish, German or Hebrew, so it did have an international presence in any event. & we've had obscure characters in Smash before, that's what the internet is for. Cap would basically just be the inverse of Marth/Roy in Melee.

-THE "NO ANIME" RULE ONLY REALLY APPLIES TO THIRD PARTIES.
The other big argument is that being a character from a cartoon/comic & not an actual Nintendo game he can't be a SSB fighter. This is admittedly a much stronger point but it still has flaws. When Sakurai stated there would be no anime characters, he said that in regard to third party character possibilities, not so much for Nintendo based animation. In fact, not only is it entirely possible for Nintendo related animation to appear in SSB, its already happened at least twice. (See spoilers)

[collapse=Nintendo Anime in Smash]
Ash Ketchum in SSB64 Intro:
Though not alright confirmed, we can tell by the shoes that Ash Ketchum appeared in SSB64's intro.

Anime Misty trophy in Melee
& the Misty trophy in Melee is wearing her outfit from the Pokemon anime that she NEVER wore in the games (except for Puzzle League which is based on the anime).
[/collapse]
These instances are rather minor compared to a full-blown playable fighter, they are nonetheless solid evidence that "first party anime" CAN have a presence in Smash Bros. & thus Captain N's chances are not absolute zero. They're not very very high either but he's still possible.

Moveset Potential:
As I said before, Captain N can use the NES Zapper and other Nintendo Hardware in his moveset. Nintendo could even make him more modern and give him more current technology than the NES.
So really, Captain N can use any Nintendo accessory, that is somewhat suited for combat.

Roster and Signature Icons:
I already have one, and I'll put the link in here soon!

List of Supporters:
Mega Bidoof

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The OP could be far more detailed by having images, movesets, pros and cons, and so on...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want Captain N. He would be a great addition to the roster. Princess Lana could be an Assist Trophy, too.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm a huge Captain N fan and I think he would fit very well in Smash Bros but unfortunately since he hasn't been in an actual game he's not eligible.

Moves he has in the cartoon/comic
Zapper
Speed Boost
Super Jump
Morph Ball ability (like Samus)
Pause the game
Duke Assist (his pet dog)
Fires Tetris shape ice blocks

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
lol, Captain N, I remember that show. There's no way he'd get into smash brothers, cuz he's not a video game character. He's a TV show character.

I did always think about stuff from this show when it comes to Smash bros, since Captain N was like, the original depiction of a nintendo crossover.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm a huge Captain N fan and I think he would fit very well in Smash Bros but unfortunately since he hasn't been in an actual game he's not eligible.
Well, yes... but he is the only non-video game character who makes the most sense as a Smash character. Isn't Captain N owned by Nintendo? Isn't that enough to justify his inclusion?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I agree of all the non-video game characters he makes the most sense. He was one the one that really got me thinking about a Nintendo fighting cross over game in the first place. When I was young me and my brothers would argue who would beat who Mario, Link, Samus (We called her Metroid at the time), etc.

According to Sakurai's twitter one of the rules for including a character is that they must originate from (or be featured in) a video game. I'm not sure what is the exact translation. I'll tell you one thing if there is a create a character option in this Smash you can bet he'll be the first one I'll make.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Because someone had to make this thread at some point.

ORIGINS
Originally known as Captain Nintendo (civilian name Maxwell W. Powers), he first appeared in a couple of short stories in early issues of Nintendo Power magazine in which he was an employee of NOA who got strange cartridge based super powers & had to fight video game villains who were suddenly appearing in the real world.

The stories were popular enough that they got made into a cartoon series that ran for 3 seasons, with a acouple of minor adjusments. The hero's name was simultaneously shorten & lengthen to Captain N: The Game Master, his civilian name was changed to Kevin Keene & he was now a 15 year old high school student. Oh, and his powers were now controller based than cartridge based. & his adventures occurred in the video game worlds rather than the real world. & there's a dog now. Actually come to think of it the show didn't have very much in common with the original stories at all.

In the show version, Captain N teamed with the most famous heroes of the NES era who didn't already have their own shows at the time: Mega Man, Pit, & Simon Belmont from Castlvania in addition to a rotating list of guest characters like Paperboy or (once his own show was canned) Link. Admittedly the accuracy to which most game characters were portrayed in the show were.......not very. They got Pit's name wrong, Mega Man was a green chain smoker, they both had pointless verbal tics, the writers somehow got the bright idea of making the vampire hunter a coward, & Mother Brain was the talking plant from little shop of horrors (seriously, it was the same actor).

Finally there was a comic book version by Valiant Comics who had been doing other Nintendo related comic books at the time. IMHO the comic version was the best of the 3 iterations. It only lasted 5 issues & didn't have any of the third party characters that were in the show, but it did have (comparatively) better written plots & characterization. If the comic's writers had wrote for the show, I bet it would've been more fondly remembered today. Plus it had Samus in the main cast, who wasn't even mentioned in the cartoon, so bonus points there.

REASONS FOR INCLUSION INTO SSB
I'm not even gonna try to pretend the show wasn't totally dumb, it most certainly was. However just about every complaint I've ever seen in regards to it had nothing to do with the main character himself. People hate the episode plots, they hate how messed-up most of the game characters were, but I never hear of issues with Captain N himself. So as far as I'm concerned the Cap himself is perfectly a-ok as a SSB fighter, provided no other element from the series shows up (we don't need a talking Game Boy). In addition, my other reasons for his inclusion:

-THE SHOW WAS SSB YEARS BEFORE THERE WAS A SSB.
Captain N was the earliest attempt at having multiple Nintendo & select third parties appear together on screen. In a way it was an indirect predecessor to SSB, paving the road for future Nintendo crossovers.

-HE USED THE GUN FROM DUCK HUNT AS AN ACTUAL WORKING GUN & THAT'S BADASS.
Seriously, wouldn't you just love to play a character who wields the NES Zapper? There's a carnal childhood wish fulfillment fantasy to it.

-HE WOULDN'T JUST BE A REP TO HIS SERIES BUT TO NINTENDO HARDWARE AS WELL.
Because his moveset would be based around the use of Nintendo controllers & other peripherals, he acts as a personification of Nintendo's hardware history, giving him a purpose in SSB not fulfilled by the other playable characters save ROB & Mr. G&W.

-PIT, MEGA MAN, & SAMUS ARE ALREADY IN THE GAME WITH SIMON AS A POSSIBILITY.
How awesome would it be if the the N Team was fully reunited? Well except for Lana, the dog & the demonic talking Game Boy from season 2. They can be trophies I guess.

-ITS A CHANCE TO UPDATE/REBOOT THE CHARACTER.
Below are 2 movesets concepts, 1 based directly on the show & 1 that shows what a present day Captain N would be like. I prefer the latter because Cap is definitely overdue an update.

-NINTENDO OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE CHARACTER.
Whenever the idea of Captain N as a SSB fighter, there tends to be 3 key counter-arguments to it of which I'll address. The first is the false notion that the animation studio that made the show, DiC, are the owners of the character. In truth fellow Captain N fans have emailed both companies over the years & had it confirmed to them multiple times that Nintendo indeed are the owners of the character while DiC owns the "video rights" to the show. The guy who was in charge of the show's DVD release has posted on Captain N fan forums confirming this & adding that the concept arts sketches for the show were still stored somewhere within NOA's HQ, further affirming Nintendo's ownership of the IP. So provided that there's no actual video clips from the show in SSB4 (& why would there be any?), he should be legally viable.

-CAPTAIN N DID AIR IN JAPAN (maybe), AMONG OTHER COUNTRIES.
Next point is he wouldn't get in because people in Japan won't know who he is. While I can't find any proof of it, I swear I've heard before that the show was dubbed in Japanese at some point. There are certainly plenty of videos on youtube of it dubbed in other languages like Spanish, German or Hebrew, so it did have an international presence in any event. & we've had obscure characters in Smash before, that's what the internet is for. Cap would basically just be the inverse of Marth/Roy in Melee.

-THE "NO ANIME" RULE ONLY REALLY APPLIES TO THIRD PARTIES.
The other big argument is that being a character from a cartoon/comic & not an actual Nintendo game he can't be a SSB fighter. This is admittedly a much stronger point but it still has flaws. When Sakurai stated there would be no anime characters, he said that in regard to third party character possibilities, not so much for Nintendo based animation. In fact, not only is it entirely possible for Nintendo related animation to appear in SSB, its already happened at least twice.

Though not alright confirmed, we can tell by the shoes that Ash Ketchum appeared in SSB64's intro.

& the Misty trophy in Melee is wearing her outfit from the Pokemon anime that she NEVER wore in the games (except for Puzzle League which is based on the anime).

These instances are rather minor compared to a full-blown playable fighter, they are nonetheless solid evidence that "first party anime" CAN have a presence in Smash Bros. & thus Captain N's chances are not absolute zero. They're not very very high either but he's still possible.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
MOVESETS
I've had 2 different ideas for Captain N's movesets but am open to ideas.

Moveset A: Classic

A/Grab: Power Glove. Uses the imfamous power glove to punch, slap, & grab opponents. Becomes electrically charged in smash attacks.

B: NES Zapper. Pretty straight forward projectile.

Up B: Super Jump. Presses the A button on his belt buckle controller to leap a great height.

Forward B: Super Dash. Presses the B button (or d-pad, they're inconsistant with that) to dash with blinding speed over a short distance.

Down B: Game Boy. Pulls out a normal sized game boy that projects a forcefield deflecting any projectiles

Final Smash: Pause. Presses the start button on his controller, freezing everything except himself. This gives him a few seconds to freely attack defenseless opponents. As an added visual flair, this moves uses the actual in-game pausing, with the camera zoomed in. You could think of this as balancing the move since the zoomed-in view would make a little harder to move around.

Pros: More nostalgic set, NES Zapper is always awesome.
Cons: Basically makes him another Fox clone, Nintendo doesn't own the rights to the power glove & would have to lisence it, gear's appearance would have to be change to Famicon in the Japanese version.

Moveset B: Modernized

This set updates Captain N to the modern times. His appearance is also changed to give him a fresh new look, much like Pit in Brawl.

A: Nunchuck. Uses the nunchuck wiimote attachment as an actual nunchuck, giving him pretty good reach.

B: Wii Zapper. Uses the zapper shell that came with Link's Crossbow Training. Like the super scope it can be rapid fired or charged (the character animation shows him rotating the nunchuck's stick to power it up)

Up B: Stylus. A tether grab where he uses a 3DS stylus to draw a line to the ledge. When standing the move can be used as an upward strike.

Forward B: 3DS. A close range attack where Kevin flips open a 3DS & thanks to the magic of 3D an object pops out of the top screen & hits the opponent, then retreats back into the screen. The object is randomized & can come from any number of 3DS games. Examples include swords, arwing, & barrels.
Here's a video for some examples, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKAWC3pOnvc

Down B: Rumble. Places the wiimote on the ground & sends low shockwaves in both directions with its vibration feature.

Grab: Points his wiimote at the opponent & grabs him with the home menu cursor.

Final Smash: Pause. I can't really think of a more devestating power for him than stopping time.

Pros: More original set, updates the character to current Nintendo
Cons: Perhaps deviates away too much from the classic version (though I suspect some people would call that a good thing)

TAUNTS

Up: Checks batteries in NES controller/Wiimote.

Forward: Plays on Game Boy/3DS for a couple of seconds.

Down: points at self & says "I still got it!"

Win animation 1: Twirls zapper & holds it pointing up while facing the camera.

Win animation 2: Kneels down & pets his dog Duke.

ALT COLORS/COSTUMES

If classic design, I imagine he would just have his varsity jacket be in different colors like blue & green. Modernized I'm visualizing him ditching the jacket & wearing different Nintendo-themed t-shirts like the 1-up mushroom shirt for his green scheme.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The "no tv characters" rule was mostly about 3rd party characters. We've seen references to the pokemon anime in SSB before so I think that there's the possibility of Nintendo based animation having a role in the series.

My vision is that he would be made up to date with Wii & 3DS based weapons. He'd still have a zapper but the wii versions & he'd have moves based wiimote motion controls, rumble feedback & drawing things with a stylus. Heck, just having him be an excuse to have weaponized nintendo controllers probably justifies his inclusion more than anything else.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Well great. That never came up in a forum search (then again a guy whose name is the letter n is kinda hard to search). Can mods merge threads here?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
ATTENTION!

This thread is now under management of the new-and-improved Mega Bidoof!
My goal is here is to make Captain N considered seriously for Smash Bros., along with Sandbag but that's for later.

New OP coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom