• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caping

Leggin

Smash Rookie
Donkey Kong and Bowser, I'm having a hard time caping their recoveries. I'm coming from a Smash 64 background and small details about the cape aren't quite clear to me yet. Should I cape them the moment they begin their recovery, during, or as soon as it is completed?

Max?

Smash Champion
Caping DK and Bowsers recoveries are tough. The best way to edge guard them is to hold the ledge for invincibility as they UpB back, and then hit them with a bair with ur invincibility.

Or, if you're feeling flashy, take the ledge again, drop off it, and wall jump out at them with a nair. You'll have invincibility with the wall jump which should go right thru their recovery and you should be able to recover back easily afterwards.

Leggin

Smash Rookie
Caping DK and Bowsers recoveries are tough. The best way to edge guard them is to hold the ledge for invincibility as they UpB back, and then hit them with a bair with ur invincibility.

Or, if you're feeling flashy, take the ledge again, drop off it, and wall jump out at them with a nair. You'll have invincibility with the wall jump which should go right thru their recovery and you should be able to recover back easily afterwards.
Thanks a bunch, man. Glad to know it's not just me and that they are legitimately hard to cape. I practiced the wall-jump nair a couple times today and it looks snazzy as ****s. Cheers!

j3ly

Smash Champion
there are a few chars that you can't really cape that well in every situation.

Samus - gains height, you can normally do something disgusting of the charged smash variation when she lands.
Dk - turns around, gains a little height but loses no horizontal ground. Dnt do it unless he starts and finished the upB from below the stage, but even that situation the cape isnt a great option.
Bowser - same as DK pretty much, but you can cape the last few frames and gimp his horizontal chance of grabbing the edge.
Sheik - never really tried lol, you're (probably) always better off baiting her recovery onstage -> fair -> something, or ledge drop -> DJ bair her startup frames where she isn't invulnerable.
Fox/Falco side b's - they turn around but instead of being in fast fall special lag like everybody else, they go into some wierd mode where they have to tumble recover. edgehog -> ledge drop -> DJ nair always finishes the job here if a simple edgehog won't.
Falcon - kinda similar to dk, bowser and samus if you cape falcon while he is recovering high, and is in line with the edge of the stage - don't do it, it will give him height. Similarly, if he is trying to sweetspot from below the stage, the cape will gimp him out of his chance to grab the edge.
Ganon - identical to falcon, bu he gains a little more height than falcon. also, if you cape ganon/falcon in the startup frames of their upB's, they gain huge height and for some reason additional in air maneuverability - so never cape those frames (normally mario jumping offstage and caping in midair)
Peach - goes into the same stun fox/falco's side b's produce - you can edgehog her death, but she might upB you after u lose ur invulverability. similarily, you can wait for her to upb again and use a down angled fsmash/dsmash to see if she fails to sweetspot. I'm also sure u can do some silly **** like running off the stage and bairing her into the side of the stage, while she is in her wierd tumble recover lag.
IC's - the cape can hit nana when she is invulnerable (the whole of Ic's upb frames) but it doesnt kill, similarily the cape gives ic's additional height and speed out of their sideB like it does to DK. Not worth it, WD and walk to setup the spacing for a fsmash.

I think that's most of the situations mario can't cape, but if you know what is going to happen before it happens, you can normally get something out of these situations even if u mess up and cape by accident. we cant really cape pika/pichu/jiggs, but i didn't think that needed mentioning :p lemme know if anything here doesn't make sense.

Leggin

Smash Rookie
Thanks J3ly! That covers pretty much anything I could possibly be confused about, cheers.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, good stuff j3ly. But about the peach and IC thing, there's a little more to it then what you explained.

Top Bottom