• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Capedashing and Cape Gliding

???????

Smash Journeyman
After quite a bit of testing I believe I've finally cracked some of the cape’s mechanics but I mainly want to talk about an exploit in both the dash and running animation, and the cape's momentum mechanics. I've found that canceling the transitionary animation from the initial dash to the running animation causes a slight slide based on the momentum of both the initial dash and run (This seems rather obvious at first but it is quite a bit more involved than it seems). The slide in general is small and nearly unnoticeable, but Mario's cape travels with the momentum causing a far more noticeable slide while in his cape animation and is a bit similar in appearance to Snakedashing. Simply put, you cancel the transitionary animation of running (Between the end of the initial dash and the beginning of the running animation; the timing can be difficult and the timing is similar to the timing you use to pivot after a foxtrot) with the cape and travel on the momentum. I've also found that Cape Gliding is directly related to this technique and that if Capedashing is done off a ledge some of the momentum will spillover giving the same benefits of normal Cape Gliding. However, Cape Gliding and Capedashing are still different techniques because Cape Gliding does not require the animation cancel to use the momentum and can be used at any point while dashing off a ledge; basically this means the two techniques are interchangeable and useable into each other but can be used as separate techniques as well. Overall, what makes make these techniques special is the considerable distance they give in comparison to other characters.

The basic controls to do this is to hold the control stick until you begin to run but cancel the run by pressing B, but instead of using this to pivot or get a small slide you cancel as you're running; for some reason Mario wildly slides forward in his cape animation (This is much different from the effects of other characters doing this), and like I stated earlier is similar in appearance to Snakedashing.

*The basic idea of Cape Gliding is using Mario's cape to slingshot of the edge like other characters' B moves but add momentum to considerably boost the distance using the momentum mechanics of the cape; momentum does not help other characters to increase the distance of the slingshot effect*

*Of course Capedashing doesn’t have to be the official name I just thought it seemed appropriate*

*I apologize if this article is confusing but I cannot record anything right now and am trying to be as descriptive as possible*

*I will be experimenting more to see if other characters may possibly have any variation of this technique*

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm not sure about your analysis of capegliding comparing to this capedashing thing. Although I haven't tested these out much myself so I'm not sure what the capedashing is like, capegliding, is a feature possible with other characters' B moves as well. DK's foward B, Lucas's Up B, G and W's Hammer, and several others have the same sort of effects as capegliding. Although this momentum increase on the ground may enhance capegliding to the length that Mario's is, it definetly is not the cause of the increased momentum off edges because other characters can do similar things without any momentum change if used normally on the ground. It's a very interesting analysis and I'd love to see this capedashing in action but it seems to me that it is entirely different from capegliding in the way it works but may give a similar effect.

???????

Smash Journeyman
You're right that the slingshot effect is usable with other characters but it seems that momentum adds a profound effect with the cape. However, it does seem I have more research to do and I'll try to get this recorded so you can see exactly what Capedashing looks like.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I've confirmed that other characters can cancel their transitionary running animation with their Side B moves for a slide but Mario's still seems to give the most distance.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
You're right that the slingshot effect is usable with other characters but it seems that momentum adds a profound effect with the cape. However, it does seem I have more research to do and I'll try to get this recorded so you can see exactly what Capedashing looks like.
im getting a video ready for your enjoyment, i will also add cape pivot and fireball pivot.

Top Bottom