• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cape. to. win.

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
I've always been a sucker for special moves that make your opponent work for you, and the cape is at the top of that list. Unfortunately, the specifics of the cape are spread all across the internet and not conveniently in one place. That's what the Smash Boards are for right?! So I'm gonna do my best to list out the many awesome functions of the cape, and if I miss anything, please feel free to add your two cents.

1. First and Foremost: Gimping!
Nothing makes me happier than watching some scrub miss the ledge sweetspot just in time for me to show him the cape, and ultimately, his demise. The most notably easy characters to shut down with this are C. Falcon and Ganondorf, because their Up-B's both have a set arc. Sadly, this technique will not gimp all characters though. You should know that if you cape Mewtwo, Snake, or Sonic (Not sure of a few others, someone please confirm), they will get their Up-B back so go with another option when dealing with them.

2. Reflecting Projectiles.
If your opponent is not thinking twice about shooting arrows or lazers, you've undermined a great power. Many a time a cocky pokemon thought they could gimp with an Aura Sphere, only to get killed by their ultimate attack. This ability makes Mario's recovery pretty safe considering that the opponent will actually have to go out for the gimp. Also, It should be noted that the cape multiplies damage by 1.5, which is pretty nice. Lastly, any cape projectile will be sent back in the trajectory that it can from, so keep this in mind too.
Now I won't list all the reflectable projectiles (Here's a link that includes most: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Reflection), but here are a few notable ones:

PK Flash- Caping this is a last resort in my opinion, only to save yourself from the blast. No competent Ness will blow himself up with this. Though if someone has video evidence, please post so we can all enjoy it.

Thunder- This one is fun, as Pikachu is usually stuck taking this hit at the bottom.

Spirit Bomb (Super Aura Sphere)- This one is great for ruining a Lucario who thinks this is a great idea.

Diddy's Rogue Rocketbarrel- This is not highly recommended, but if you want some style points and some real hype, try this out.

Toad- Nothing beats a counter like a counter. Gotta be two steps ahead of the opponent.

3. Spinning opponents.
Now, you might say, "Sure, I can turn around the opponent, but when would that ever be useful?" Well I'm glad you asked.
Turning around your opponent is a good way to control positioning. You can reverse smashes to make them useless, and even spin your opponent's shield to prevent an otherwise easy shield-grab! Also, the cape does 7-8% even if your opponent is in shield! As with all techniques, don't try to over abuse this or your enemies will teach you a thing or two. From experience, characters with attacks that sweep both sides don't really give a crap if you spin them around, so keep that in mind as well.

4. Gliding/ Stalling.
The cape is invaluable to Mario's recovery, not only because it sends back projectiles, but because it has a cute little stalling effect to it. Many characters have stalls, but the cape is pretty unique. The first time it's used in the air, you will actually gain a little bit of height, which is fantastic. The downside is it has diminishing returns, so the second barely stalls you. After that, don't think the cape will save you again until you've reset on the ground.

So, that's what I've got on the glory that is the cape. If anyone has anything to add please feel free. Also, if you have any good videos of the cape being used to it's full potential, please share them!

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I like to sometimes use it as an option to come safely onto the stage from the ledge and you can even cape people under you, if I'm thinking right. I think I've caped people trying to sweet spot while I was over them. I also go for b-reverse capes as I jump to a platform waveland on to the platform, for ledges I'll do it like how Marth can sh bair and it'll turn him around. That's just for a little extra flavor though.

Last edited:

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
You can cape underneath yourself.
I like to do that to link's boomerang when it's returning because it doesn't look like it connects and throws off the link when he gets hit in the face.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Tinks rang might as well be a piece of paper when you compare to link's rang haha

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
I keep trying to instinctively cape squirtles side special. (I think it's technically called withdrawal)
It doesn't seem to help that much, or give me much to capitalize with when doing it on neutral, but doing it when squirtles are trying to recover is pretty hilarious.

Also, you can Cape Link's Up-Special Recovery, but I can't do it consistently without usually taking a sward to the face.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I keep trying to instinctively cape squirtles side special. (I think it's technically called withdrawal)
It doesn't seem to help that much, or give me much to capitalize with when doing it on neutral, but doing it when squirtles are trying to recover is pretty hilarious.

Also, you can Cape Link's Up-Special Recovery, but I can't do it consistently without usually taking a sward to the face.
learn the capes sweetspot and you will be fine

Top Bottom