• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't play online on my 3DS

MrMontolio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1246-9578-3898
Hello everyone. First I apologize if someone created a similar thread, as I couldn't find any before creating this one. I couldn't find anything that could help me browsing online either.

So I have this problem since a few weeks ago: I can't connect with the server. I merely try to go online and it says error. It doesn't even display the With Friends, With Anyone options.

It doesn't say what error I get. Simply "A communication error has occurred."

The game has the latest update, as well my console. And yes, I have no problems using the internet with the rest of my games/apps.

If there's anything unclear, please just ask. Thanks.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Can you connect with the DLC shop via the Smash Bros. game?

I believe I have the same issue, but I am not sure. I was suspecting my new router to be the cause of the problems so far. The thing is: I can still enter the DLC shop without problems. And after that I can enter the online mode most of the times. Sometimes I can enter it after I played a solo mode for some time, but it doesn't work always. I have way less luck if I get this error message and try to enter online mode repeatedly. When I'm in online mode everything is working fine, that is I'm not experiencing more lags or connection errors than before.

So you may try to enter the online mode after you entered and left the DLC shop of the game. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a try.

MrMontolio

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1246-9578-3898
Can you connect with the DLC shop via the Smash Bros. game?

I believe I have the same issue, but I am not sure. I was suspecting my new router to be the cause of the problems so far. The thing is: I can still enter the DLC shop without problems. And after that I can enter the online mode most of the times. Sometimes I can enter it after I played a solo mode for some time, but it doesn't work always. I have way less luck if I get this error message and try to enter online mode repeatedly. When I'm in online mode everything is working fine, that is I'm not experiencing more lags or connection errors than before.

So you may try to enter the online mode after you entered and left the DLC shop of the game. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a try.
Thanks for commenting!

Yes, I never had problems entering the DLC shop. I think I did it around 5 times since this issue started. But like I mentioned above, once it started, I never could play online again.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
One thing that I believe could be effecting your online play is you router. Specifically, your router settings.

From what I can say, when you connect to the server and get your error, it's possible that your router is blocking access to connect you to the Sm4sh services.

I'm not much of a tech genius but check your router settings. See if you have any ports being blocked but don't need be or any connection settings have been in-correctly put.

It's possible your connection settings on your console can incorrectly be configured wrong (Possible not if you can connect to the store but a possibility).

But if you can't connect to the Sm4sh services, it's a 99% chance that it's your router causing the problem.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
If anyone's got any solutions I'd love to hear them

Because my 3DS can connect to the internet fine, it can connect online through Pokemon, and even connect to Smash's DLC shop
But when I try to go Online in the game specifically, I keep getting "A Communication Error has occured" with no error code or anything.
I'm rather used to this, like I'd get it the first 2 times but the 3rd time it goes without problems for the rest of the entire session, but now for the past 2 weeks all I've been getting is this same communication error!

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
If anyone's got any solutions I'd love to hear them

Because my 3DS can connect to the internet fine, it can connect online through Pokemon, and even connect to Smash's DLC shop
But when I try to go Online in the game specifically, I keep getting "A Communication Error has occured" with no error code or anything.
I'm rather used to this, like I'd get it the first 2 times but the 3rd time it goes without problems for the rest of the entire session, but now for the past 2 weeks all I've been getting is this same communication error!
There is a partial solution. You can go to the in-game settings (options), go to the internet settings and turn off the option to receive data from friends. It will help you get online (a lot faster than usual too), the only downside is you can't get replays or anything from friends. We still haven't figured out why this is happening and we are hoping it will go away after the next patch but in the mean time we have this temp fix. Also you aren't a lone at all since what you described was exactly what was happening to me and I'm pretty sure to the others as well. I wouldn't really pay attention to the initial communication errors and I would go online but after switching out my old 3DS for the New model this issue immediately presented itself (but the model switch was confirmed to NOT be the problem though we don't necessarily know if it is one source). Anyways, enjoy online!

Top Bottom