• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't handle pressure

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I do pretty well when I'm in an advantageous state, but once an opponent starts applying pressure, I crumble. How do I handle pressure, and how do I practice that over the winter break when my usual sparring partners are out of town?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Applying pressure how so? Aerial approaches? Grabs? And against what characters? Or do you crumble against all pressure despite the charcter?

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Applying pressure how so? Aerial approaches? Grabs? And against what characters? Or do you crumble against all pressure despite the charcter?
All pressure. No matter who I"m using, no matter who they're using, I break under pressure.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I know exactly what you mean, but for some reason it happens to me mostly with Charizard. But when I'm losing, even losing by a lot, I remind myself that Charizard is an excellent comeback character. I have made a thread here before saying that Zard was the best comeback character in the game (maybe besides Lucario), and whenever I start getting pressured and I think that I'm going to lose, I remind myself of the many times before where I have thought that a loss was imminent, and actually came back to win, and so I push myself to take a fresh look at the situation, and ask myself, "what do I need to do to win", and then adjust my strategy accordingly. Specifically with Charizard, simply reminding myself of some of my past comebacks, and of Charizard's ability to make a comeback have actually won me games every once in a while that I really shouldn't have won!

I don't know if this method will work for you, or anybody else, but it does work for me. Realizing your win condition at any given point during a game is very important, especially when you are losing and may need to take risks or employ certain strategies.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I think he means take the combos like a man, then adjust your strategy correctly (once you're back in the neutral) based on how you got hit in the beginning. You should obviously try to get out of combos that are less guaranteed, but go for the safer options rather than the risky ones.

Even though you might get pressured, once you're able to get the upper hand, you should be able to make a comeback with all the rage, whether you do that by focusing on walling or aggressive play. Always try to get more of the stage, too.

...though I still want someone to confirm this is all correct lol

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
All pressure. No matter who I"m using, no matter who they're using, I break under pressure.
That sounds more like a mental thing than anything else. Does this happen to you whenever you play in tournament or during friendlies too?

A big part of playing with people who are going ham and playing competitively is knowing what they can and can't do and then taking a massive chill pill. If you know the limits of their character, you can begin to focus on what their options are for pressuring you and try to read which option they choose before they choose it. Do that, and you turn their aggression into your own advantage. That kind of ability is really important to playing Charizard against more fast paced characters.

But taking a chill pill when you get to the tournament or pick up the controller is actually even more important than knowing how to play the game or MU. You can't act on or acquire new knowledge very well without a clear mind. For some people, it helps to take deep breaths. For others it helps to tell themselves comforting things (see Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher 's post). Some even try to zone out and forget where they even are or what they are doing. Everyone has some way of coping when they feel overwhelmed. What do you do when you take exams and they are in your face (you seem to be in college)?

As far as what you can do going forward and over break, just play the game. I recommend going to Anther's Ladder so that you can be sure you get reasonably good opponents. This can also help with your ping if it is occasionally a little spotty because you can determine who you want to play based on geographic location. But be sure to save your losses. Watch what you did, find where you messed up, and don't do it again. Write it down if that's helpful to you. Whatever it takes to not make the same mistake twice. If you need help analyzing your gameplay, feel free to post it in the videos thread or this one and I'm sure the board will help.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I think he means take the combos like a man, then adjust your strategy correctly (once you're back in the neutral) based on how you got hit in the beginning. You should obviously try to get out of combos that are less guaranteed, but go for the safer options rather than the risky ones.

Even though you might get pressured, once you're able to get the upper hand, you should be able to make a comeback with all the rage, whether you do that by focusing on walling or aggressive play. Always try to get more of the stage, too.

...though I still want someone to confirm this is all correct lol
Yes, thank you for clarifying, that is pretty much what I am saying. When I am getting comboed and pressured into oblivion, I find that it helps to take a step back and rethink my approach, try something new, and never give up hope. No match is impossible to win. In fact, some characters like Sheik and Sonic depend on you becoming disheartened by all the repetitive hits and nasty combos, and then they use that insecurity to land the finishing blow. Since Charizard is so stubborn to kill already, if you can stay focused, and you can avoid that finishing blow just long enough, you could very well turn any situation around.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
That sounds more like a mental thing than anything else. Does this happen to you whenever you play in tournament or during friendlies too?

A big part of playing with people who are going ham and playing competitively is knowing what they can and can't do and then taking a massive chill pill. If you know the limits of their character, you can begin to focus on what their options are for pressuring you and try to read which option they choose before they choose it. Do that, and you turn their aggression into your own advantage. That kind of ability is really important to playing Charizard against more fast paced characters.

But taking a chill pill when you get to the tournament or pick up the controller is actually even more important than knowing how to play the game or MU. You can't act on or acquire new knowledge very well without a clear mind. For some people, it helps to take deep breaths. For others it helps to tell themselves comforting things (see Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher 's post). Some even try to zone out and forget where they even are or what they are doing. Everyone has some way of coping when they feel overwhelmed. What do you do when you take exams and they are in your face (you seem to be in college)?

As far as what you can do going forward and over break, just play the game. I recommend going to Anther's Ladder so that you can be sure you get reasonably good opponents. This can also help with your ping if it is occasionally a little spotty because you can determine who you want to play based on geographic location. But be sure to save your losses. Watch what you did, find where you messed up, and don't do it again. Write it down if that's helpful to you. Whatever it takes to not make the same mistake twice. If you need help analyzing your gameplay, feel free to post it in the videos thread or this one and I'm sure the board will help.
It happens during friendlies too.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
It happens during friendlies too. I'm also really nervous about doing more on Anther's because I'm 0-4 already there.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
For advice on Anthers, when playing ranked, it is good to take into account not only your opponent's rank, but their mains too before you challenge them. If their mains are your worst matchups, even if they are even or (especially) slightly below you, don't challenge them if possible because that is how you lose a lot of points. On the contrary, if you see someone in gold rank that only plays characters that you destroy, jump on that opportunity. However, if you don't feel confident on the ranked side of things, endless friendlies on Anthers' are the absolute BEST way to get better at the game, especially if you play someone with knowledge of your character (Kinda rare with Zard though, but not required to be a good experience). If you can learn how to deal with pressure in friendlies, since you say you also struggle with it there, you should be in good shape in ranked play.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
It happens during friendlies too. I'm also really nervous about doing more on Anther's because I'm 0-4 already there.
I don't really see how or why you are getting so worked up in friendlies unless you have actual anxiety issues (and there's nothing wrong with having them, btw. it's just another thing you have to work around).

If Anther's makes you nervous, do friendlies before going to ranked. Make sure they're playing at least half seriously though because it doesn't help if you just beat up on people who are messing around. What Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher said about playing in your good MUs is helpful if you're trying to elo farm but I think it's better to play against all players if you're just trying to get better at the game. You can also make an alternate account to play on if that helps take the edge off your nervousness. An account just for practicing; one that you don't have to take too seriously.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I don't really see how or why you are getting so worked up in friendlies unless you have actual anxiety issues (and there's nothing wrong with having them, btw. it's just another thing you have to work around).

If Anther's makes you nervous, do friendlies before going to ranked. Make sure they're playing at least half seriously though because it doesn't help if you just beat up on people who are messing around. What Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher said about playing in your good MUs is helpful if you're trying to elo farm but I think it's better to play against all players if you're just trying to get better at the game. You can also make an alternate account to play on if that helps take the edge off your nervousness. An account just for practicing; one that you don't have to take too seriously.
I'm really more worked up over ranked. I have pride issues, and I feel like every loss is a hit to my pride, especially at my local league. I don't want to appear inferior.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I'm really more worked up over ranked. I have pride issues, and I feel like every loss is a hit to my pride, especially at my local league. I don't want to appear inferior.
I get why you might feel that way, but know that absolutely nobody will see you that way if you lose. Try to tune everyone out and pretend they are not there like it's just an average game. I used to feel pretty nervous too (tourney nerves op) but I got over it pretty quick after I went to a couple events. Just keep putting yourself out there and that part of you should stop acting up soon enough.

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
DI/SDI. Try to mix up landings with your jumps and rock smash. Don't land on your opponents. Remember that you can afford to drift over to the ledge. Airdodging also exists. Shield is p good in this game, more specifically powershielding. Disjointed moves are also rly good. Utilt is good against airborne opponents, specifically ones behind you but also in front. Don't be afraid to roll/spotdodge.

Top Bottom