• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't beat anyone online to save my life, solution?

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
New to the forms but not to the smash seen, I have been playing Super Smash Brothers since its first installment back in 1999 on the Nintendo 64. I have been playing back and forth between the n64 version, male a, brawl occasionally, and now the Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U. Naturally I'm a little rusty because I haven't played Super Smash Brothers in so long since melee but I decided to pick up where I left off and try to compete professionally. I have been training for the past few months and I am seeing some slight Improvement but not much. Naturally I felt like the best way to get some good training was to play online and now that I am playing it online I'm getting my ass handed to me every single match lol

I'm not too hung up on winning as I am trying to practice my techs as well as my combos but for the most part I can't even on a good day take one stock away from my opponent. My main problem is that I get them to a high percentage usually around the hundred and forty and I cannot deliver a finishing move. Instead I keep trying to tech and pull off combos and hopes to bring them off the edge and finish them. Instead, I get both of my stocks taken with little or no effort from my opponent.

I mained Fox back in melee and again for the Wii U but I decided to switch in the past few days to warRio. I like Warios unorthodox style as well as his Chomp ability. My main question is, how can I get better playing online matches when I can't even win one? How should I go about training with wario to maximize My kill moves and finishers while playing online? I want to compete professionally and actually in her some tournaments but I don't want to go on prepared to make a total ass of myself considering I can't even finish my opponent off or execute/practice my combos effectively, anything helps

DMan64

Smash Cadet
First and foremost, understand that getting better takes time. As such, start by practicing fundamentals. Practicing in training mode to get a feel for the character and how you should space with them. Then, practice against a level nine CPU and try not to get hit. Afterwards play online, and always record your matches and look for where you screw up and what you get right. Another thing to consider is practicing with one character at a time, especially if they have very different styles, such as Fox and Wario. Finally, go to tournaments and play in friendly matches, you'll get great experience there. Also don't worry about doing advance tech or combos, fundamentals are much more important.

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
First and foremost, understand that getting better takes time. As such, start by practicing fundamentals. Practicing in training mode to get a feel for the character and how you should space with them. Then, practice against a level nine CPU and try not to get hit. Afterwards play online, and always record your matches and look for where you screw up and what you get right. Another thing to consider is practicing with one character at a time, especially if they have very different styles, such as Fox and Wario. Finally, go to tournaments and play in friendly matches, you'll get great experience there. Also don't worry about doing advance tech or combos, fundamentals are much more important.
I'm going to keep training with level 9 CPUS until I can beat them effortlessly and without any trouble. I still feel like I should at least get to that level before I enter an tournaments. I'm patient, just wasn't sure what way to really go. Any good posts or threads on the fundamentals?

DMan64

Smash Cadet
Honestly, fundamentals are kind of something you have to learn on your own. But some key things you should practice are
1)Spacing
2)Mix-Ups
3)Follow-ups
4)Set-ups
5)MOST IMPORTANT, your neutral. Your neutral is something you develop the more you play and combine what I said, in a way it defines your style. I'm pretty sure there are threads out there, but videos and tutorials can only help so much.

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
Honestly, fundamentals are kind of something you have to learn on your own. But some key things you should practice are
1)Spacing
2)Mix-Ups
3)Follow-ups
4)Set-ups
5)MOST IMPORTANT, your neutral. Your neutral is something you develop the more you play and combine what I said, in a way it defines your style. I'm pretty sure there are threads out there, but videos and tutorials can only help so

1)Spacing
2)Mix-Ups
3)Follow-ups
4)Set-ups
5)MOST IMPORTANT, your neutral. Your neutral is something you develop the more you play and combine what I said, in a way it defines your style. I'm pretty sure there are threads out there, but videos and tutorials can only help so much.
Thanks, will head to reddit to check for some guides and browse the forum as well

KirbCider

Smash Ace
In truth, the only true advice is to keep practicing.

Everyone gets better through time and the important thing to remember is not get frustrated if you don't feel like you're improving. I should also note going against actual, human players will be far better and more beneficial than going against CPU opponents.

Even CPUs at their highest difficulty can be pretty stupid.

Some won't use their recoveries correctly (like taking advantage of Side B moves that help)
You can't expect a CPU Ganondorf or Bowser to cide you
CPUs, no matter what level, can fall for the stupidest things and don't adapt to you.

Human opponents know advanced techs, can take advantage of anything their character can do, can read and adapt to you, and more. You just can't get that with a CPU. Now, sometimes training with CPUs can be helpful like getting a certain tech or combo down but eventually you need to be be able to practice those things with human players otherwise you'll set yourself up for disappointment. You also have to keep in mind that some characters are just harder to master. I dunno how difficult Wario is.

Other than that, reading guides/watching videos and asking for advice helps a ton. Sometimes even posting/sharing your own replays helps because people can actively see what you're doing wrong in your matches and give you further advice as well.

smashingsince99

Smash Rookie
In truth, the only true advice is to keep practicing.

Everyone gets better through time and the important thing to remember is not get frustrated if you don't feel like you're improving. I should also note going against actual, human players will be far better and more beneficial than going against CPU opponents.

Even CPUs at their highest difficulty can be pretty stupid.

Some won't use their recoveries correctly (like taking advantage of Side B moves that help)
You can't expect a CPU Ganondorf or Bowser to cide you
CPUs, no matter what level, can fall for the stupidest things and don't adapt to you.

Human opponents know advanced techs, can take advantage of anything their character can do, can read and adapt to you, and more. You just can't get that with a CPU. Now, sometimes training with CPUs can be helpful like getting a certain tech or combo down but eventually you need to be be able to practice those things with human players otherwise you'll set yourself up for disappointment. You also have to keep in mind that some characters are just harder to master. I dunno how difficult Wario is.

Other than that, reading guides/watching videos and asking for advice helps a ton. Sometimes even posting/sharing your own replays helps because people can actively see what you're doing wrong in your matches and give you further advice as well.
I got a capture card on the way so I can record my matches for feedback. Will definitely post them in the forum for good feedback

Top Bottom