• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you Up-B cancel in PM 3.6?

ArmorAbsCrabs

Smash Cadet
Title of thread says it all. I can do it in Melee, although not on purpose, but when I want to do it PM I can't seem to get it. Are you not able to do it in Project M?

I read the Mario guide posted on here, but I didn't read it all the way through so there's a good chance that I probably missed.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
No, you can't. I never looked into why but if we wait long enough someone more knowledgeable is bound to come along.

But short answer is no

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think short answer is that Doc in Melee undergoes a landing detection bug / downward shift when he performs Upb cancel. This bug doesn't exist for Mario in Melee, and it does not exist in PM.

My 2 guesses would be either it doesn't work in PM because Doc merged with Mario (consider Mario the base character with Doc buffs), or PM/Brawl engine changes do not feature that same Melee detection quirk and Upb cancel could not be programmed in even if they tried.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I think short answer is that Doc in Melee undergoes a landing detection bug / downward shift when he performs Upb cancel. This bug doesn't exist for Mario in Melee, and it does not exist in PM.

My 2 guesses would be either it doesn't work in PM because Doc merged with Mario (consider Mario the base character with Doc buffs), or PM/Brawl engine changes do not feature that same Melee detection quirk and Upb cancel could not be programmed in even if they tried.
Obviously too late now but I mean they could maybe make some custom/special version where if it detects the inputs (eg, back within 2 frames or whatever) it cancels the upB if its grounded, it wouldnt have to use that weird landing bug Melee did

masterpad

Smash Journeyman

yes and the other simple reason is, according to the PMDevtTeam official descritpion: Doc in PM is JUST A SKIN of Mario. they have the same spec.
The flames texture have been changed to electricity textures for the Forward smash and a winning animation and to pill textures for the neutral-B animation and the down-taunt animation.

Actually when Kirby swallow Doc, he ends up with mario's red hat...i don't know if it is a bug but i don't think so.

last thing, i have all ready ask about it here, there are futher answers:
http://smashboards.com/threads/what-about-up-b-cancel-and-others-doc-mario-skills.405651/

Last edited:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
The flames texture have been changed to electricity textures for the Forward smash
thats actually not true anymore. they changed it to a neutral hitbox for consistencies sake. Before the electric hitbox did more damage or sent them further or something. idk. though i know they changed it in 3.6b.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
thats actually not true anymore. they changed it to a neutral hitbox for consistencies sake. Before the electric hitbox did more damage or sent them further or something. idk. though i know they changed it in 3.6b.
I believe the electric hitbox had more hitstun. It now has a light element rather than electric.

Top Bottom