• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you even perfect shield the KO punch is SSB4?

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
Many people ask me this, and i dont want to give then the wrong answer, is it perfect shieldable?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The KO Uppercut is unblockable, so you can't block that attack at all, but you can actually stop the attack before it executes, though it is a very risky maneuver.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You have like, what, 8 frames to stop it before it strikes you? Yeah, you're better off either not letting it happen or dodging it the best you can.
I know it sucks that you can't shield it and stuff, but the KO Punch is harder to use than it looks, so you can try to dodge it via a mindgame.

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
You have like, what, 8 frames to stop it before it strikes you? Yeah, you're better off either not letting it happen or dodging it the best you can.
I know it sucks that you can't shield it and stuff, but the KO Punch is harder to use than it looks, so you can try to dodge it via a mindgame.
Thanks for clarifying and by letting me know how many frames it has, it helps alot to know that. :)

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
It CAN be perfect shielded if it is aerial. As well as the "Falling KO punch" which is preformed by doing a fast fall when in the air, and then using the KO punch while in the air just above the ground resulting in you landing with the grounded verson of the KO punch.

As you can see this is the grounded verson of the KO punch beeing perfect shielded, it can also be countered when done this way. The "falling KO punch" is still a great move but keep this in mind.

I am probably going to make a thread about this later, not many people know about this. And i just found out about it a few days ago.

Last edited:

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
It CAN be perfect shielded if it is aerial. As well as the "Falling KO punch" which is preformed by doing a fast fall when in the air, and then using the KO pumch while in the air just above the ground resulting in you landing with the grounded verson of the KO punch.

As you can see this is the grounded verson of the KO punch beeing perfect shielded, it can also be countered when done this way. The "falling KO punch" is still a great move but keep this in mind.

I am probably going to make a thread about this later, not many people know about this. And i just found out about it a few days ago.
Wow, have you also heard about Mr.G&W helmet (Up-Smash) can indeed block the KO, it just goes straight through his head. Is there any reason for that?

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
This is because his head is invincible during the attack, it has the same properties as when you respawn after loosing a stock.
Same goes for bowser`s up smash and a few other moves.

The KO punch Ignores the folowing properties:
Super armour
Shields
Weak armour
Reflectors

It can not hit oppnents when they are:
Intangeable (While roling or spotdodgeing)
Invincible

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
So far, I have managed to find various ways to intersect a KO punch from happening...well, at least avoiding it more often. it sorta happened today when I was playing my Mac friends, and when I released its totally avoidable.

So, let me not get to carried away with this and try to make this as clear a possible.

So first of all, :4littlemac: his main combo tool is his D-tilt, lets just use this for an example. So when :4littlemac: is trying to set you up into his D-tilt, into KO, instead of imputing DI away from Little Man, your going to want to DI towards Little Mac. This gives you a 50-50 chance of not getting hit, depending on the characters body size, because when the KO punch come out, it pushes Mac forward a bit, allowing you to have a chance to squeeze by him, allowing you to live a little longer.

:GCDL::GCL::GCDL::GCL: By trying to smash the control stick quickly in theses directions, towards Mac, your chances of living will be higher, but not guaranteed every time. (The same apples when he's on either side)

Then it's just up for Mac to adapt and know how to read their opponents, afterwards.

Last edited:

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
So far, I have managed to find various ways to intersect a KO punch from happening...well, at least avoiding it more often. it sorta happened today when I was playing my Mac friends, and when I released its totally avoidable.

So, let me not get to carried away with this and try to make this as clear a possible.

So first of all, :4littlemac: his main combo tool is his D-tilt, lets just use this for an example. So when :4littlemac: is trying to set you up into his D-tilt, into KO, instead of imputing DI away from Little Man, your going to want to DI towards Little Mac. This gives you a 50-50 chance of not getting hit, depending on the characters body size, because when the KO punch come out, it pushes Mac forward a bit, allowing you to have a chance to squeeze by him, allowing you to live a little longer.

:GCDL::GCL::GCDL::GCL: By trying to smash the control stick quickly in theses directions, towards Mac, your chances of living will be higher, but not guaranteed every time. (The same apples when he's on either side)

Then it's just up for Mac to adapt and know how to read their opponents, afterwards.
The thing is that d-tilt is frame 3. Most people can not react that fast. Either way it is very unatural to DI like that. Most people do not tend to do it. Also fall speed plays a factor as well. in total there is not a lot of characters that can avoid this. I have never have this happen to me. And i have KO punched about 1500 people by now. i asume that this is about 45% and up, because any lower than that and it should be guaranteed.

Top Bottom