• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you all help me verify something about Sonic, Mega Man and Mario?

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
I do some Super Smash Bros. coverage for an entertainment site and when I was writing today, I started to think about how Sonic's appearance might mark the first game where Mario, Mega Man and Sonic are all together. Here's what I wrote:

Good news, everyone! Everyone’s favorite speedy hedgehog, Sonic, will be coming back to the Super Smash Bros. roster for Super Smash Bros. 4. There had been some debate about whether or not Sonic would be returning to the fray this time around since Mega Man was revealed so early. To my knowledge, this is the first time ever that Mario, Mega Man and Sonic will all be appearing in one game.
Source: Sonic speeding back into SSB4!

I don't want to post something that it isn't true, so I was wondering if someone could help me verify this. Have all three of these characters ever appeared in the same game before or is this really the first time?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yes, I do believe Smash 4 will be the only game with Mario, Sonic, and Megaman in the same game. It's a bit of a first mainly on the Megaman side though. The first one Mario and Megaman share, and Sonic and Megaman share.

In terms of game release dates Brawl wasn't even the first game Sonic and Mario were in the same game. As the first of the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games was the first. But it's an entirely different story with Megaman.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe that is indeed the first time that all three stars are together in a videogame. If I recall correctly, Megaman was never alongside Mario in a videogame before until Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. I could be wrong though. :/

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only time Mega Man and Mario appeared together before 4 was in a German Nintendo magazine.

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I know I'm trying to prove a negative which is always a challenge, but I was wondering if there was some obvious cross-over game I missed.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Remember sakurai said no special treatment for namco but it does not mean hes deconfirmed like that
Sakurai said that so people wouldn't expect an onslaught of Namco characters. There's no way Namco won't get at least ONE character though... and the choice of character is obvious.

Besides, there's the leak (If you choose to believe it) and there's also the Namco rep who refused to confirm/deny if Pac-Man is in the game... with a s***-eating grin on his face the entire time none the less.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Mega Man and Sonic have that Archie Comics thing going on right now, but this is the first time they've ever been in a GAME together. And I agree with Smashoperatingbuddy123... get Pac-Man in there, too... STAT!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally, I'd prefer Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Snake and (maybe) Pac-Man.

5 great mascots. It would be a dream come true!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would prefer Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Simon Belmont.

...but I admit Simon Belmont is not a "AAA" 3rd party character. Pac Man is most definitely the closest one to that status.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, its the first time all three are in the same game. Though Megaman and Sonic had a 12 issue comic book crossover. And Mario and Sonic have their Olympics series.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I do hope we do get Pac-man in these games him, Mario, Sonic and Megaman all going at it would be the best event ever in the history of video gaming.

And for old times' sake: Pac-man vs Mr. Game & Watch (Battle of the oldest mascots, G&W was introduced in 1980 1 year before Mario's debut as Jumpman in the classic Donkey Kong arcade, and Pac-man was introduced during the same year G&W was).

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Won't be the last time, MegaMan being more famous than Snake, I'd say that he and Sonic are permanent smash characters, as far as PacMan goes, even though it would be nice, I highly doubt it. As it is now, a second Sonic representative makes more sense to me than having three different third party franchises involved in one title. For me, the involvement of Namco Bandai in Smash would only have merit if PacMan was the first third party character announced for the game, but no, E3 last year we get MegaMan.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Won't be the last time, MegaMan being more famous than Snake, I'd say that he and Sonic are permanent smash characters, as far as PacMan goes, even though it would be nice, I highly doubt it. As it is now, a second Sonic representative makes more sense to me than having three different third party franchises involved in one title. For me, the involvement of Namco Bandai in Smash would only have merit if PacMan was the first third party character announced for the game, but no, E3 last year we get MegaMan.
How the hell does a second Sonic rep make more sense than having single reps from multiple third parties? I don't understand your logic whatsoever. I could see 5 third party characters from 5 different third party companies getting in before a third party gets a second rep.

The number of third parties involved is inconsequential, ever heard of project x zone (Sega, Capcom, Namco) or playstation all stars? (Capcom, Namco, EA, Konami, 2K)
In fact, ever heard of Smash Bros. 4? Even if Pac-Man isn't confirmed, that doesn't change the fact that Sega, Capcom and Namco are all involved.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
How does a second Sonic rep make more sense than having single reps from multiple third parties? I don't understand your logic whatsoever. I could see 5 third party characters from 5 different third party companies getting in before a third party gets a second rep.

The number of third parties involved is inconsequential, ever heard of project x zone or playstation all stars?
In fact, ever heard of Smash Bros. 4? Even if Pac-Man isn't confirmed, that doesn't change the fact that Sega, Capcom and Namco are all involved.
You confuse me more than I do you! First off, Namco Bandai is a COMPANY, not a franchise. Sonic and MegaMan are examples of franchises.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
You confuse me more than I do you!
Let me make it simple then...

Has Smash Bros. ever had two or more reps from the same third party franchise or company? No.

Has Smash Bros. ever had multiple third party companies involved, each with only a single rep? Yes it has.

There is no precedence for a second Sonic character being added. There is, however, precedence for Snake returning and/or Pac-Man being added.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Let me make it simple then...

Has Smash Bros. ever had two or more reps from the same third party franchise or company? No.

Has Smash Bros. ever had multiple third party companies involved, each with only a single rep? Yes it has.

There is no precedence for a second Sonic character being added. There is, however, precedence for Snake returning and/or Pac-Man being added.
That's not the point! A second Sonic character can still happen, and Snake is very likely getting cut from the game. You have pointed out absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom