• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we please get a ruleset update?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
(first of all I'm not sure if this warrants a new thread or not, merge it with something if deemed necesary)

Official PM Rules said:
General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • All chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned

Doubles Rules
  • Team Attack enabled
  • Sharing stocks is allowed

Stage List

Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Smashville
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Dreamland (64)
    • Fountain of Dreams
    • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
    • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
    • Pokemon Stadium 1
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Wario Ware
    • Green Hill Zone
    • Norfair
Not to overstate things too much, but this is a bit outdated now. Now, I know 3.6 isn't even officially out yet, but it's still being used, so we should try to keep our rules up-to-date along with updates. Specifically, adding a Warioman-ban, a clause to keep auto-L-cancel off, and getting rid of Pokemon Stadium 1. Warioman is a given here, and although auto-L-cancel has had discussion, at this stage we should keep it on, and seeing other rules have rules, L-cancel needs to have one simply for consistency.

PS1 is the one I expect a bit of controversy for. Now, let's be honest: the main reason PS1 is a legal counterpick in PM is because it was in Melee. It's a bit negligible to say this, but I think the fact that every Melee starter is on PM's kinda shows the - admittedly expected - bias to Melee in a game that is not Melee. And, let's be real, PS1 is pretty much only still legal in Melee because it doesn't have enough good stages. It's still a good stage, mind you - but I bet that if we had a single CP better than it, PS1 would be banned. But we don't, so it's not, and by the extension of familiarity of Melee (IMO the biggest problem in the PM community) we have a legal stage that was only legal for a problem PM doesn't have. So, PS1 doesn't exactly seem well fit as a CP in PM, especially with it being moved to an alternate. I'd suggest probably Castle Seige, but Skyworld, or Delfino's Secret could be good replacements/additions, though I know people don't like those 2 all that much. Whatever we do, even if we simply get rid of PS1, it kinda needs to go.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
This might just be cause I'm from a country more focused on melee but most people don't even know the stagelist and just agree on battlefield or stadium. (If they come from sm4sh they might even try to agree on smashville)

Additionally I think we follow a different ruleset (since fd is nowhere near a neutral here afaik) So I think the rulesets here are outdated cause communities made their own at some point and this simply isn't a true list anymore. (that or the people in charge of coming up with the ruleset didn't like this ruleset)

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
This might just be cause I'm from a country more focused on melee but most people don't even know the stagelist and just agree on battlefield or stadium. (If they come from sm4sh they might even try to agree on smashville)

Additionally I think we follow a different ruleset (since fd is nowhere near a neutral here afaik) So I think the rulesets here are outdated cause communities made their own at some point and this simply isn't a true list anymore. (that or the people in charge of coming up with the ruleset didn't like this ruleset)
This actually is true. Most places use their own rules anyway, but it'd be nice to at least fix up the "official" rules.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Why would PS1 ever be legal lmfao. Hasn't been legal at majors in over a year.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Yes, its a good place to start.

Still having trouble getting even Character First implemented, but I haven't been trying that hard. Just collecting data on a trial period was painful enough...
Yeah, I seriously don't get why character first hasn't been uniform since the start, as it is in every other game.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Where are you even seeing these "official rules"? As said, the PMDT has never issued an official ruleset and TOs have been left to decide for themselves what they want to do.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Where are you even seeing these "official rules"? As said, the PMDT has never issued an official ruleset and TOs have been left to decide for themselves what they want to do.
It's not actually from the PMDT. It's on the "Rulesets" tab on Smashboards.

Regardless as to whether it's used at all, it would still be an upgrade to update what's being advertised as the "official" PM ruleset, especially when the others are all up to date. (the Melee one could use some touching up though) I'm just kinda afraid newer players might look to that page to see the rules and take it as a given, and then get all confused later on.

Top Bottom