• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Someone Help Improve my Mario?

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Ok, first off, don't use fireballs when you're near you're opponent or you'll get hit. I also recommend you that you don't use the mario tornado except for recovering, although it doesn't hurt to use it once in a while. The main reason why people don't use the tornado is because of its lag time and how you're opponent can take advantage of it. Don't use the same move repeatedly because your foe'll catch on (I take advantage of my friends when they do that.) Also, don't be afraid to run into your enemy to finish a combo unless you think they'll counterattack. Only use your super jump punch for recovery or sometimes for a combo breaker. I can't really say much more, though, unless you're fighting a real person. Although I will admit Bowser makes a great punching bag. Oh yeah, btw, you can't double or triple post in these forums; it's against the rules if you didn't know.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Well you both double posted...

Practice your L-canceling, wavedashing, wavelanding and techs. You should play against lvl 1 computers because of their DI. It would be best if you played human players. Watch videos of Eggz...I highly recommend it....and always keep it gangsta when you play as Mario.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Well you both double posted...

Practice your L-canceling, wavedashing, wavelanding and techs. You should play against lvl 1 computers because of their DI. It would be best if you played human players. Watch videos of Eggz...I highly recommend it....and always keep it gangsta when you play as Mario.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!:)

you also the person who posted before thank you too

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1. I can only rate anything if they are fighting a real person, computers are st00pid S***
2. Is it ever humanly possible to get a Mario that good in a day or 2? Your REALLY good for 1 day!
Now for some advice:
Even though the Dash attack may make an easy Combo-into, dont use it, thats why we have wavedashing.
Only use the Up-B as an Attack move if you know ALL of it will hit. Even at that its risky.

OH thats right, when you do a Uair, make sure to launch a second one XD

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Read: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=56009
It won't make you better instantly, but that should answer all the questions you have. All that's left is practice.

Also, don't play against Bowser-- the biggest target alive who seldom will play in a real match.

As for a start point? Go do 3-4 BAIR's off the edge and recover, and learn Mario's edge guarding limits. I also suggest going to Battlefield and getting to the middle top platform using only his tornado.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hmmm, combo practice on a computer.

Don't abuse the F-air. It has incredible startup lag and if you don't L-cancel it the afterlag can also get you punished. Keep in mind, it's also not all that good as a meteor. I'm not saying NEVER use the F-air, because it certainly does a lot of damage, and can start combos such as leading into Mario's awesome U-tilt IF you L cancel it.

Approach more with the D-air. It's perhaps Mario's most abusable approach due to its multiple hits and extremely high priority. Take care to L-cancel this move too so you can lead into U-tilts, or better yet if you can manage to get the move to end before you land on the ground, you can combo into a U-air or N-air.

Avoid using the Dash attack or the Mario Tornado. The ending lag for them is pretty bad if you whiff either move.

As for Fireballs, either only use them for Long-distance spamming, or get good like Eggz and waveland behind a Fireball for some sweet combos. =P

Abuse the Jab. Along with Mario's F-tilt, it's perhaps his most overlooked move and it is very valuable for combo breaking or even comboing into a D-smash.

Oh, and practice chaingrabbing on some fastfallers. That too can be very valuable.

I dunno, those are just some basic combos that you need in competitive play. Can't say much else since you're just working with computers.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
*same thing as in the link thread*
Start of playing humans. Don't forget I live 5 minutes away from you (by WALKING).
We could record matches today, and people can then give you tips or w/e.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
You dont seem to know Marios style so heres a BIG guide just for you^^
IMPORTANT GOOD INFO :
Read this if you want to get better!!!!

First lets review the video!
-You shouldnt to UpThrow against Middle Floaty characters (Bowser, Mewtwo, Marth)
You should DownThrow instead, ill tell you why!
With DThrow you can either start a COmbo (which is very hard to choose what you are going to do from these choices :

-DSmash (Do this if your opponent has high percentage or you just want to get him away from you)
-UpSmash (Do this to Combo FastFallers at pretty low percentages and to kill FLOATIES ONLY (Jigglypuff, Kirby)
-UpTilt (Do this to Combo Fastfaller at HIGH percentages (70-50 %) )
-FullJump Dair (I do NOT recommend this... DONT DO IT)
-FSmash (ONLY after

Now while we are at it lets check out the other throws :

-Backthrow : An OK Kill Move, do this near the ledge or try it at high percentages
-UpThrow : Great for FastFallers (Falcon, Fox, Falco) Mainly because you can Chaingrab them with UpThrow and after 5 UpThrows UPTILT THEM and COMBO THEM

Now you might wonder what I mean with ''Combo'' them... well heres what I mean :

When I say combo after a grab you should imagine a move like this :
Fox Chaingrab (4 times with 1Headbutt each (Very important to do 1 Headbutt or 2)) - UpTilt (maybe 2 times) - Uair Shffl ( against a Fox or Falco do Uair Shffl only 1x to Fox or Falcos they fly to far away and @ Characters who float middle or are TALL like (Roy, Falcon, Ganon, Marth, Samus do 2-4 Uair Shffls (you Dont need to l-cancel them actually) - Finish with a DSmash or FSmash or NAIR

Lets sum the Combo up and I want you to imagine the correct way of doing this combo : Chaingrab Fox - UpTilt (@High %) UpSmash(@Low Percentage (30)) - Uair Shffl - Finish (FSmash ,DSmash, Nair)

Alright now we have finished the Grab section...
Lets look at his approaches :
A good Mindgame is always to pay attention if youre opponent ist Shielding or not Shielding
If he shield alot then you should simply come at him with a JumpCanceled Grab (Press X and Z at the same time and experiment to get the timing right) with this grab you can do the stuff Ive written above.
If he is not shielding many times and you seem to know it now then just start goin crazy with Uair Shffls or a Nair Shffl approach to JAB (Tap A 2 or 1 time)

Now Ive said Uair Shffls and Jab...
Let me give you tips for this occasion.

Uair Shffls :
-You need to be good at this before you try it! (Be fast and do fast fall with good timing)
-Start with a low Uair (Do the Uair but only do it a tiiiny bit later so you can get him even if he/she is a small character (Doctor Mario, Roy, Pichu...)
--> Now after the first Uair youve done you can either Jab (Tap A and Grab or Smash or do something afterwards, I prefer Grab to DThrow this way you can Combo... AGAIN) or you can continue Uair shffling about 2 more times and finish with a Smash or a Nair maybe even Bair if your good enough.

I can say like so much more but im too lazy^^ I know all this stuff thx to Eggz, my fellow German Smashers and my own tourny experience (yesterday)
Oh and be sure to watch more Mario main Videos

Top Bottom