• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone explain this? (Little Mac's B KO Punch) May be bugged?

LinkOscuro

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkMigue
3DS FC
2191-7674-1782

Some explanations?

The 1st part is in a real match, the second one is even worse about that what happened in the 1st one lol

D

Deleted member 269706

If I'm not mistaken, the KO punch only sends out 1 hitbox. When Link sends out his boomerang, he also sends out a hitbox. My guess is that the two hitboxes cancelled each other out ultimately protecting Link. It's like when two characters start a jab next to each other and instead of both getting hurt, nothing happens. But in this case, the boomerang and the KO punch cancelled each other out without a trade. That's all I got, I could be completely wrong for all we know, but that's all I got.

LinkOscuro

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkMigue
3DS FC
2191-7674-1782
I think you're wrong. ... Sorry. Link's boomerang doesn't enter into the KO hitbox.

D

Deleted member 269706

I think you're wrong. ... Sorry. Link's boomerang doesn't enter into the KO hitbox.
It's hard to say for sure...I don't think Link has any armor on release of the boomerang does he? The boomerang has hit boxes all throughout it (top to bottom), and if I'm not mistaken, the KO punch's hit boxes initiate close to the bottom of Little Mac, and move in an upwards motion in the direction he is punching. The only explanation I can provide is hitbox cancellation. Either that, or the KO punch just has some really wonky hitboxes. Or the game just didn't register the hit, which is very likely if this took place during an online match.

LinkOscuro

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkMigue
3DS FC
2191-7674-1782
It's hard to say for sure...I don't think Link has any armor on release of the boomerang does he? The boomerang has hit boxes all throughout it (top to bottom), and if I'm not mistaken, the KO punch's hit boxes initiate close to the bottom of Little Mac, and move in an upwards motion in the direction he is punching. The only explanation I can provide is hitbox cancellation. Either that, or the KO punch just has some really wonky hitboxes. Or the game just didn't register the hit, which is very likely if this took place during an online match.
How do you explain the last KO? I mean, the 3rd one at the end of the video. I'm hitting Link and he's BEHIND me.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've seen Mac's KO punch fail often against me when I face him with Zelda. Whenever I suspect Mac is going to throw out the KO punch, I'll initiate Nayru's Love. I'll see the animation, windbox, and flashy colors, etc. for the KO punch while Mac is inside of the hitboxes of Nayru's Love but I won't actually get hit by it. Instead, at some point during the KO punch animation, Mac's superarmor will end and he'll take a few percent from the ending hitboxes of Nayru's and be sent away with the final hit. This is the only time I've seen it happen and I suspect it happens because Zelda has invulnerability during Nayru's Love while Mac has superarmor during his KO punch thereby allowing the animation and hitbox to occur but essentially hitting nothing because of the invulnerability. This is the only reason KO punch should be failing against targets since it goes through shields and counters as well. I also believe that KO punch has transcendant priority meaning it shouldn't clash with any other hitboxes (though I wonder what would happen if 2 KO punches were used against each other). Seeing as Link has none of this while throwing his boomerang, there must be some weird interaction between laggy online (which it looks like this is) and the KO punch's windbox/hitbox (I have seen the windbox affect someone that was clearly inside of the hitbox instead of the hitbox affecting them like it should). This is a weird case since Link isn't affected by anything at all.

Now that I look at it really closely though, pausing the video at around 0:02 reveals that Link is actually behind Mac and is crouched as he is in the animation of throwing his boomerang. Mac uses his KO punch as Link is approaching the ground, not on the ground or close enough to the ground for him to be affected by Mac's push as he steps forward like the two tests showed. It seems to be a case of, Link's hurtbox was in just the right spot as Mac stepped forward to not be affected by Mac's push, the KO punch's windbox, or the KO punch's hitbox. I suspect, if not for Mac's step forward, this would've landed.

Top Bottom