• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Roy be used like marth?

Can Roy be used like marth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
This is for both melee and projectm anyways people say roys a low tier character but how I see it is he can be played exactly like marth

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
This is for both melee and projectm anyways people say roys a low tier character but how I see it is he can be played exactly like marth
Roy is very different than Marth, and they play very differently in both games. You can play them the same way, but you won't get very much success, and you'll be playing in a very sub-optimal manner.

Marth revolves around grabs and low percent combos into dair spikes or tippered fsmash kills for KOs, and then using his great gimping abilities and offstage game to edgeguard. He is faster, and has a better grab game. Dtilt is great for pokes in neutral and fantastic for edgeguarding. His main killmove is going to be fsmash, with little else having consistent kill power. Marth's main weakness is kill consistency, since he can't combo into his fsmash after a certain percent, which means he kills at either midrange percents or at extremely high percents like 150.

Roy is a little slower, with a worse recovery, and is a semifastfaller like Falcon instead of a semifloaty like Marth, which changes their airborne feel dramatically. Similarly, his main killmove is fsmash, but he also has his bair as a quick aerial killmove, granting him much better kill consistency and allowing him to kill at the percents where Marth struggles. His edgeguard game is also much weaker, since he is a fastfaller and cannot perform many aerials off the stage. His dair spike is also much more situational and difficult to land than Marth's bread and butter spike. His dtilt, instead of a neutral poke and gimping tool, is his bread and butter combo tool, allowing him to convert into a combo very easily. He also has a better sideB than Marth, with more options that are more useful, and give him additional kill consistency off the sides and the top. Though his grab game is still very good and very important, it is less centralizing for him, with Roy relying more on his dtilt out of dashdance instead of grabs out of dashdance.

Marth can also short hop double fair, where Roy can't really do any short hopped double aerials, which can change how they wall with disjoints and control neutral.

In PM, Roy is not a low-tier character - he's actually very good. In Melee, however, he is very low tier, and for good reason. He inherits all of the problems that Marth has - fairly predictable recovery, lack of kill consistency at higher percents, etc. - while also providing extra problems of controlling space less effectively, slower movement, being easier to combo, easier to kill and gimp, and having even less kill power in general.

Melee Roy lacks the aerial killmove that PM Roy has, and many of his other tools, like his sideB, are also much less effective. Roy's fsmash is less powerful than Marth's sweetspotted fsmash, which means it can be tougher for him to kill in general, and it's tougher for him to combo into that fsmash on most characters at percents where it will actually kill. He also has barely any edgeguarding power for the reasons above. His dtilt is still very good, but the combos that he nets off of them tend to be fairly lackluster in damage and very difficult to combo into his one killmove.

If you play Roy like Marth, you'll be hitting Roy's sourspot, flubbing all your edgeguards, self-destructing when you try to attack offstage, dropping combos, and grabbing instead of dtilting too frequently.

If you play Marth like Roy, you'll have god-awful spacing, horrible kill consistency, mediocre edgeguards, and be poking in neutral instead of grabbing too frequently, alongside with misusing or not using some of your best tools for gimping, edgeguarding, and controlling space.

TL;DR no

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Roy is very different than Marth, and they play very differently in both games. You can play them the same way, but you won't get very much success, and you'll be playing in a very sub-optimal manner.

Marth revolves around grabs and low percent combos into dair spikes or tippered fsmash kills for KOs, and then using his great gimping abilities and offstage game to edgeguard. He is faster, and has a better grab game. Dtilt is great for pokes in neutral and fantastic for edgeguarding. His main killmove is going to be fsmash, with little else having consistent kill power. Marth's main weakness is kill consistency, since he can't combo into his fsmash after a certain percent, which means he kills at either midrange percents or at extremely high percents like 150.

Roy is a little slower, with a worse recovery, and is a semifastfaller like Falcon instead of a semifloaty like Marth, which changes their airborne feel dramatically. Similarly, his main killmove is fsmash, but he also has his bair as a quick aerial killmove, granting him much better kill consistency and allowing him to kill at the percents where Marth struggles. His edgeguard game is also much weaker, since he is a fastfaller and cannot perform many aerials off the stage. His dair spike is also much more situational and difficult to land than Marth's bread and butter spike. His dtilt, instead of a neutral poke and gimping tool, is his bread and butter combo tool, allowing him to convert into a combo very easily. He also has a better sideB than Marth, with more options that are more useful, and give him additional kill consistency off the sides and the top. Though his grab game is still very good and very important, it is less centralizing for him, with Roy relying more on his dtilt out of dashdance instead of grabs out of dashdance.

Marth can also short hop double fair, where Roy can't really do any short hopped double aerials, which can change how they wall with disjoints and control neutral.

In PM, Roy is not a low-tier character - he's actually very good. In Melee, however, he is very low tier, and for good reason. He inherits all of the problems that Marth has - fairly predictable recovery, lack of kill consistency at higher percents, etc. - while also providing extra problems of controlling space less effectively, slower movement, being easier to combo, easier to kill and gimp, and having even less kill power in general.

Melee Roy lacks the aerial killmove that PM Roy has, and many of his other tools, like his sideB, are also much less effective. Roy's fsmash is less powerful than Marth's sweetspotted fsmash, which means it can be tougher for him to kill in general, and it's tougher for him to combo into that fsmash on most characters at percents where it will actually kill. He also has barely any edgeguarding power for the reasons above. His dtilt is still very good, but the combos that he nets off of them tend to be fairly lackluster in damage and very difficult to combo into his one killmove.

If you play Roy like Marth, you'll be hitting Roy's sourspot, flubbing all your edgeguards, self-destructing when you try to attack offstage, dropping combos, and grabbing instead of dtilting too frequently.

If you play Marth like Roy, you'll have god-awful spacing, horrible kill consistency, mediocre edgeguards, and be poking in neutral instead of grabbing too frequently, alongside with misusing or not using some of your best tools for gimping, edgeguarding, and controlling space.

TL;DR no
Do people even understand it dosent matter how the character is its how you play.I use to play alot marth before unlocking Roy then used my marth skills on my Roy I play

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Do people even understand it dosent matter how the character is its how you play.I use to play alot marth before unlocking Roy then used my marth skills on my Roy I play
Why are you even asking a question if you don't want people to give their views?

By that logic, Fox plays the same as Luigi. It doesn't matter how the character is, it's how you play, right?

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Players have different styles even amongst players with the same mains. Just because that is true, and players have styles that emphasize different strengths of a character (look at M2K's Marth vs. PPMDs in melee for a good example), does not mean that a player can just freely adopt a style that disregards the strengths and weaknesses of a character.

Roy and Marth have similar looking attacks with entirely different properties. You cannot just pick up Roy and play him just like Marth. You might have mild (very mild) success with the neutral, but you'll have a god awful punish game and little to no edgeguarding ability (unless you're just going to fsmash the ledge).

Feel like I'm feeding a troll here but it's worth saying just for any others that might have a similar question.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
what kind of troll post is this OP? Don't respond like this if you don't want to hear it how it is. binary clone put it pretty cut and dry; they both play really differently in both games, with roy having many more options in PM - making him very viable now.

Top Bottom