• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Marth reaction tech chase falcon

CypherZel

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkHippy19
I remember hearing somewhere that you can use Dthrow or Bthrow to tech chase falcon and possible sheik but I cant seem to find resources anywhere that goes into detail about this. I just want confirmation from other marth mains if this is a thing, what throw is used and what % does it stop at.

AirFair

Marth tho
yes, he can techchase falcon with fthrow/dthrow, and I would recommend it until around 30% where uthrow can lead into better things.

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVNWvZDZOPk&t=34

According to SSBM Tutorials, Marth's downsmash on Sheik can cover everything except tech roll away.
Thing is that is a very situational setup. It doesn't work well at too high or low a percent AND if they DI well they can also not worry about it and on top of that it's best use is in a certain spacing by ledge.
Although I have gotten a kill on a PR Shiek with this setup so it's an option to keep in your pocket.

And OP you shouldn't try to tech chase Shiek when up throw is better in multiple ways.

On Falcon you use the dthrow at 0 to get a knockdown until 8-9% when fthrow starts to knockdown and then mix it up and go from there. I personally say upthrow doesn't get many followups until 40%~ but test it out. Also Kadano has the Falcon and Shiek upthrow followup table in his thread as well.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I try to RTC Falcon off fthrow. Dthrow is really hard for me so I don't attempt it at this point.

My flowchart is:
Fthrow->WD to his landing->React
  • Tech in place: standing grab
  • Tech roll away: dash jc grab
  • Tech roll in: dash forward out of the WD then dash back (sometimes the leftover momentum from the WD slows my dash back too much to follow the tech roll in so I dash forward quickly to cancel that momentum)
  • Missed tech: crouch
After a missed tech:
  • Get up attack: CC dash jc grab
  • Stand: jc grab (otherwise you can't grab in SquatWait)
  • Rolls: dash jc grab (but dashing out of SquatWait is hard :crying:)
One thing I don't like about dthrow RTC is that you have to react to tech in place with jc grab which is soooo much harder than standing grab.

CypherZel

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkHippy19
Yea I noticed that falcon only goes into knock down at 9% or higher in the lab. As far as how hard this tech chase is, it's actually not that hard, especially when you only want to do it to 30, I haven't really met anyone who is good at getting out without me flubbing but tbh most of the Falcons I play are scrub who think they have a pocket falcon on netplay.

Pent

Smash Rookie
Yes, the MU on paper is actually absolutely horrible for Falcon. Between CC and chaingrabs into utilt, falcon should get 0 deathed every time Marth gets a hit. People just don't play it enough. The best example of how the matchup should go is Dart VS Darkrain.

Also, that "0-death" everyone thinks Falcon has can literally be escaped by holding down and away into anything. Falcon has nothing if you learn to DI.

CypherZel

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkHippy19
After using the Kadano flow chart and tech chases this is actually my best MU now haha

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
You can't reaction techchase off of dthrow unless you're in a corner.
So before you can begin techchasing with fthrow, you should get nothing off a grab other than like stage control.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Also Marth's fthrow techchase is faaaaaaar from perfect.

It sends them really far forward depending on DI, so if they're near the ledge they can quite easily slide off and get the ledge.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Also throwing Falcon to platforms before 68% means that he has access to double stick DI on your uair, and his weight makes platform techchasing really hard.

imo Falcon still punishes harder than Marth.
There's tons of frame perfect links that Falcon can do in response to good Marth DI to continue combos or set up techchases.

Top Bottom