• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Lucas jump out of Psi Magnet

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
I know this is really really super noob. I noticed that Ness could jump out of Psi Magnet and poor young Lucas can't. Or can he?

So can Lucas jump out of Psi Magnet and if he can, how?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Yep, Lucas can jump out of his magnet.

The difference between him and the Space animals + Ness is that they can all jump cancel out of their down b while the B button is still being held. Lucas for some reason, needs to have the B button released before he can immediately jump out.

He can also jump out of it when he hits someone with it, but it has an awkward, delayed timing that takes some getting used to.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
In 3.5, whiffed magnets not hitting any person/object will be the same 3.02 timing of 4 frames start up and 3 frames to jump out of. The major change being that a magnet which hits a person/object will incur slight hitlag frames, and increase the timing to jump cancel. When making contact with a magnet, Lucas will suffer 5 more frames before he is able to jump cancel magnet, making magnet on shield +3 to -2, thus shield pressure with Lucas went from amazing to Ness' level.

Squ0ldrive

Smash Apprentice
@ D e l t a D e l t a Did you I had to read your post three times before I got it.
Thanks for the very rich techno info.

Last edited:

D e l t a

No problem. Basically no contact = same 3.02 timing. Hits anything = 5 more frames of lag = I crai evrytiem

D e l t a

Lucas' magnet is slower than Spacies shine in terms of startup / active hit boxes and as of 3.5 is also slower to get out of on contact. In terms of "can I multi-magnet easier than double shining with Fox?" Sure, of course you can!! This doesn't mean it's good however. The delay in timing can be hard to get used to and is still very difficult to work with the new hitlag. Multi-mags in 3.02 incurred very little hitlag when connecting with an opponent, whereas 3.5 changed this drastically as mentioned above.

So yes, multi-mag an opponent is technically easier in terms of being able to perform at lower levels with less error than top levels, but it's not anywhere near the practicality and usefullness of double shines or 3.02 multi-magnets

Scraket

Smash Ace
I mean you can magnet then aerial magnet in the opposite direction at lowish percents I believe. It looks flashy and is easy to follow up on. But multi magneting isnt really useful unless you wanna shield pressure... but even then magnet to a DJC aerial does the job easier.

D e l t a

I actually curious to see a TAS Lucas shield pressure compilation in 3.5

I studied Neon & Badge's shield pressure videos while training with the Bowser dummy to get the timings down in 3.02. With 3.5, I only practice mag -> aerial like Neon does, but I'm curious to see what it's like with say, frame perfect DJC Fairs while staying in the max Sweetspot range on shield (super difficult to do).

Now all I see uses for, are to be flashy between stocks or potentially multi-mag opponents who are bad at rolling away and like holding shield a lot. I was near breaking my roommates shield today for the first time because of my shield pressure, despite rarely using multi-mags outside of practice. I mainly focus on building up damage & getting KOs than wasting time on their shield. As one player said, play smart like PPMD rather than flashy & technical like Westballz.

Top Bottom