• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Ike wavedash effectively?

Spellbinder

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing wavedashes because I never used them before. I can't seem to find videos of him doing it. I might get one to work but I can't seem to make consecutive wave dashes happen at a speed that makes it better than just shielding to the side repeatedly?

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Ike has a decent wave dash and has a pretty average jump start, what it sounds like you are doing is that you are pressing L or R before you leave the ground causing you to move your shield. What I recommend is holding the direction you want to go (down and right or down and left) and pressing X/Y then L/R until you get the wave dash timing down then you can start incorporating the diagonal direction. Its how I first learned how to do it in Melee and I have found that it is a very effective way of teaching players that are new to the technique of how to perform it.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yeah he can. But very few characters travel their fastest when straight WD'ing, as that's not what it's usually for. A good application of WD for Ike specifically is spacing with Ftilt, and WD'ing out of QD for quick positioning.

Traditionally WD'ing is for positioning as it doesn't have much lag on it. Think of it as mostly safe movement.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've been practicing wavedashes because I never used them before. I can't seem to find videos of him doing it. I might get one to work but I can't seem to make consecutive wave dashes happen at a speed that makes it better than just shielding to the side repeatedly?
Ike's jumpsquat isn't particularly fast (frame 5), so wavedashing is best saved as an out-of-shield option or to cancel QD. For example, if you FThrow someone, QD after them, and see that they'll be able to tech before you can follow up, you can WD out of QD to tech chase them.

Top Bottom