• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I use Melee guides to help me start out?

RyoxSinfar

Smash Rookie
I know some things have changed from melee to PM, but as someone just looking to get a little familiar with playing Link on a basic level, does a guide from Melee translate well? It seems like the changes would focus primarily on comboing since the moves are the same but have their number modified. So I figured I'd be focusing primarily on movement and cancels?

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
I'll put my two cents in: I would say it's a good place to start, especially to get down the basics (i.e. wavedashing, moonwalking, ect). I am not sure how viable melee combo videos are to PM, but I'd imagine a lot of the stuff would translate well, and if not you'd learn soon enough what works and what doesn't. There is a lot to learn from melee guides, and you won't regret spending the time to watch/read them (if you haven't already).

Fortress

Smash Master
Not for Link, no. Haha... hahahaha... hahahahahaahahaha. Melee Link, ppppttttbbbbbhhhh HAAAAAAAAAA.
Also, a lot more than the 'numbers' for attacks have been changed. Trajectories, frame data, sweet/sourspots and the like have been modified for most of the cast in some way from Melee to P:M.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
I would say go for it. A lot of stuff has been changed from Melee to P:M but simple bread and butter options such as Jab > Jab > Utilt/Dtilt are even better than they were before. Link's stats are improved, so some strategies from Melee should work better.

Even though Melee Link was terrible he had a well developed metagame. I guess he was so bad that the payers had to get really creative if they wanted to win, and that is a great way to think if you want to get better. There is a lot of interesting stuff in the Melee threads that would be worth looking at, like waveland out of Bair , Nair shield pressure, and SHFFLed Fairs(which, btw, have an advantage of +1 now instead of 0, along with better range, so go crazy).

I believe P:M Link is good, but is even more fearsome when you combine P:M strats with Brawl/Melee strats.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Looking at a Melee guide can't hurt, but keep in mind now that his projectile game and overall speed are now significantly improved. The boomerang in particular is one of Link's best new tools that should definitely be played around with more than any Melee guide will suggest.

RyoxSinfar

Smash Rookie
Thanks all, this helps a lot with my question. I'm nowhere near ready for in-depth study of character data. But some techniques like NaijaboyIrin's mentioned "Waveland out of Bair" are things I couldn't just start trying on my own where I can get a feel for trajectory and sweetspots on a basic level from playing. Granted getting precise with combos then yes I would want to study that much more. Currently I'm happy reminding myself that the dair is not center of mass.

At the very least I need to look at things like the mentioned wavedashing and moonwalking and I figure a link guide will point out how you apply them to the character.

Top Bottom