• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I PLEASE get a straight answer?

blackHybrid

Smash Rookie
as long as link isnt nerfed alot i'm happy

i dont have brawl yet since i live in the uk but when it comes out here i plan to main link again.
unless i find i feel more comfortable playing as one of the newcomers

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
I've played with alot of different characters so far and have won alot with each character and whenever I ask people who they think I play the best with they say Link...so I guess it really just depends on whether your good with him or not...I've even broken it down to Toon Link and Link and ppl still say I'm better with Link

Legan

Smash Lord
The only thing stopping Link from being a great character is this ****ty recovery. Link still has his flaws and hes far from the best character but if you mained Link in melee then this shouldnt be new to you. The small flaws in this character shouldnt keep you from playing him if you really like him.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Buffed or nerfed, compared to anoth returning Legend of Zelda character who's received an almost tragically humorous nerf'ing (light enough to the point that she can be Star K.O'd at laughably low percentages), Link plays at a decent-enough pace for me. This may be because the game's physics, coupled with Link's overall speed boost, helps to better fit my personal ideal playstyle for Link thus even if he's not better, I feel better using him than in Melee. I only wish I could say the same for Captain Falcon (but I still manage). I also find the wavebounce/b-sticking/whatever for Link's Gale Boomerang useful against the speedier blade users. I put his grab to little use, mostly because I haven't felt the need for it as much I used to (though I don't reccomend doing the dash-grab unless you're maybe trying to close in on an enemy that's coming in for a landing).

As for his recovery, it's sadly far from good, I can understand weakening the ground spin attack (uncharged at least), but I honestly don't know where they were coming from nerfing its recovery capabilities as well, it just feels less reliable now. But I was surprised mostly by how far he still was from the ledge after the move, yet still grabbed the ledge. Anyway, it's really mostly the low-trajectory launchers that are almost guaranteed to do Link in. Thankfully, it's still not QUITE as bad as SSB64 Link's recovery. And while I think the Tether Recovery is a little underrated (I mean at least it comes out fast, you gotta respect that, even if it is the only thing), it's NOT to be taken into any priority.

Bottom line, Link's far from what can be called great, but he's just as far from what can be called crap. If it weren't for the recovery, and the still hard-to-tolerate-slow F-tilt (though to its credit, it's still undeniably faster than in Melee, if only by a margin), he'd be at a high level of good, but in my experience(s), he's like a mediocre level of...well, mediocre. Kinda wha I expected, so I guess that's also why I just jumped into him. Even if he sucks by metagame standards, it doesn't necessarily mean one would suck AS him, and that's usually what matters when it comes to maining a character.

Eten

Smash Ace
I'd like to point out link's insane projectile dominance. His neutral standing shielding cancels EVERY projectile except for Olimar's Pikmin latch. Even things like Din's fire(even when released behind link), Pk Thunders, etc. And if you crouch you can't get hit under your feet either.

And of course his boomerang is fast and spammable, and bombs have a very low trajectory that very very rarely have trouble hitting small guys. When you combine his three projectiles with his shielding link's projectile game is so that he can almost completely overpower anybody else's projectile game. This gives him a crazy advantage because it forces even those who have spammable projectiles to approach link, and approaching link is freaking hard with x^n number projectiles he has to hit you with and the length of his sword and the area's his sword attack hitboxes cover. As long as you are careful on how you use bombs and know how to use neutral standing shield, you should be able to drive even those with spammable projectiles insane.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I honestly think Link had improved pretty nicely, his bombs can actually kill you at a high enough percentage, the bow has a purpose, and a lot of his aerials can be put off so easily now that your almost in a never ending air combo, hes gotten a tad bit faster also. I'm finally winning matches against my bros Captain Falcon, which was almost never the case in Melee, but then again Captain Falcon is nerfed in some way. There's really no way I can say that link has gotten "worse" cause plainly I don't see it.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
I don't see anything wrong with link's recovery. It goes high, and far horizontally. I've been knocked off the stage innumerable times, and I've always made it back

Legan

Smash Lord
I don't see anything wrong with link's recovery. It goes high, and far horizontally. I've been knocked off the stage innumerable times, and I've always made it back
No his recovery is garbage, you cant steer it at all like you could in melee and hes the most easily gimped character in the game.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
He feels a fair bit nerfed to me, just because up+B got weaker, the bomb recovery is gone, and tether recovery is as good as useless. The increase in sword range and slight attack speed buff are nice but his recovery is just too predictable and easy to gimp now. His attacks are also difficult to chain due to knockback on most of his attacks.

He's not bad for casual play, but once your opponents learn how to gimp your recovery effectively, he's actually kinda bad. If we're talking tiers I'd put him somewhere in the lower end of the middle tier.

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised nobody has complained about Link's f-air. I hate it. They changed the strong hit to the second one. Combined with his weaker n-air his forward aerial capabilities are so much lower, and that bothers me a lot.

Gimpable recovery is eew. I've died a good number of times already going out for sex kicks and trying to change directions with my up-b to die horribly with no DI. Tether recovery blows hard. I loved using it in Melee. Now it's too short to matter, can only latch to the edge, and only when someone isn't already on it.

I'm still going to try and manage. I used Link for the last however many years in Melee. Hopefully it just takes some getting used to.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised nobody has complained about Link's f-air. I hate it. They changed the strong hit to the second one. Combined with his weaker n-air his forward aerial capabilities are so much lower, and that bothers me a lot.
Speak for yourself on the F-air. Every time I use it, the second hit is alsmot guaranteed to hit anyway due to how much faster the move is overall (it has about the same start-up time though), not unlike the Up-Smash. The Nair is weakened by so small a margin that it's still usable at best. The only problem with the F-air is that you can't do the short-hop move as well as in Melee (if at all), but Link isn't the only one who suffers from a loss of short-hop combos coming in from Melee, and in the end, the whole TACTICS move is still better, it's faster, as spammable, and offers better spacing possibilities, just don't use it near a ledge.

Link's air-game does feel almost as nerfed as his uncharged ground spin (ALMOST), but it still doesn't feel unusable either.

The Hylian Shield might not be able to stop Snake's missle, but almost everything else he has CAN.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
No his recovery is garbage, you cant steer it at all like you could in melee and hes the most easily gimped character in the game.

Legan, you have more control over it now than you did in melee. Sure his clawshot could be longer, but I wouldn't call his recovery garbage

Hong

The Strongest
I always wanted to play as a competitive Link in Melee but I couldn't stand it. Now in Brawl I love him. All the ideas and concepts I wanted to use in melee that weren't too effective (for such reasons as evasive wavedashing) now work in Brawl. I'm actually not fond of the new boomerang, though. Thankfully the bow has been vastly improved which makes up for it. At least to me. I find with the floating air mechanics, it's easier for Link to "wall" people off and limit their options without fear of retaliation.

Legan

Smash Lord
Legan, you have more control over it now than you did in melee. Sure his clawshot could be longer, but I wouldn't call his recovery garbage
I dont understand how we have more control of his recovery in brawl than in melee. In melee you could steer his recovery left or right while he was rising and descending. In brawl onces the animation has started, you can no longer guide it to where you want to go. I found myself alot of the time being right next to the edge but not being able to steer into it because link recovery is garbage.

Eten

Smash Ace
You can guide it to a similar degree actually, but link did lose the hookshot as a recovery tool and compared to the rest of the cast, just falls so fast that he can't DI over to the stage for recovery as well. He never had a whole lot of height or recovery power to begin with, and the loss of any hookshot recovery with it being so short and comparitively to everyone else, link dies in ways that almost nobody else does.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
You CAN control the left and right movement, although it's a little hard if you're going hard right to go back left

Iceburgh

Smash Journeyman
yea but how easy is it just pull out a bomb and throw when your recovering to distract your oppenent...I've never had a problem recovering yet

Throwing a bomb when you are "In Range" is fine and dandy and of course you wouldn't have a problem recovering then. Were talking about in the past like Melee where Air dodge to Hookshot gave you a ton more horizontal recovery boost due to being able to DI the Air Dodge as well as the hook having extra length. There is a huge weakness in Link's recovery now though all around as long as you stay on stage there isn't any problems. one thing i have noticed that you can use the Airdodge Grapple is on CCd hits. if you would normally slide off and away from the stage to fast to normally grab you can FF into a grapple and prevent yourself from flying anywhere. seems much more useful that way than as a normal recovery techinque the main problem with Links recovery now is people will know when you are going to have Up+B to come back.

Legan

Smash Lord
You CAN control the left and right movement, although it's a little hard if you're going hard right to go back left
Yes, you can steer it in one direction when your ascending, but when your descending you have no more control over where you go. You cant strafe left or right to an edge or platform unlike you could in melee. Thats what i was stating.

enzo2cool

Smash Rookie
Link improved. but the stupid ***** who make this game dont realize how popular link is he is 2nd to mario man!! I mean all the moves in twilight princess they could have made him way better. Like when he has no damage they could have made the spin attack way cool like in tp. All his hidden skills in the regular attacks etc. The double clawshot would have been great tool to recover. but he is still great. The master sword is shorter than it was in tp to! Those *******s! Ok i think im done now lol

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you can steer it in one direction when your ascending, but when your descending you have no more control over where you go. You cant strafe left or right to an edge or platform unlike you could in melee. Thats what i was stating.

Wait... Really? you can still strafe after it ends, it's just not as dramatic because he falls a little faster

Coselm

Smash Ace
Okay, bottom line.

Does Link suck or not suck? I've gotten so many differing opinions on this I'm confused. One one hand, 99% of the Link mainers are all saying he's improved (PLEASE) and a lot of other people are saying he sucks now.

What's the answer folks? Does he suck, or not suck?

Not that it matters.

Maining Link 4 Life,

Ogre_Deity_Link
Okay I'm not going to read 5 pages of posts... sorry.

Think about it like this. Link has gotten faster and has more spammable projectiles.

The only things bad that happened to him are that his up-B no longer spikes, and his chain is a little bit shorter.

Those were my initial thoughts. He seems a lot better, in that I am able to beat my friends mains with him.

Most people seem to think Toon Link is better, but I disagree.

Answer: Link does not suck.

Top Bottom