• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request Calibration Tool

Acryte

Smash Ace
So right now it seems that people are going out and buying new controllers or modifying them with notches just to get them to be perfect shield-dropping controllers, where the notches line up to do it easily and consistently.

Wouldn't the more tourney friendly and acceptable option be to to allow for players to quickly calibrate their controller joysticks so that everyone's controller can operate the same without providing distinct advantages that have nothing to do with actual player skill?

F-Zero GX has one. Something similar in Melee would be absolutely amazing.

[Not sure if this belongs more in the melee workshop than just the codes section]

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
So right now it seems that people are going out and buying new controllers or modifying them with notches just to get them to be perfect shield-dropping controllers, where the notches line up to do it easily and consistently.

Wouldn't the more tourney friendly and acceptable option be to to allow for players to quickly calibrate their controller joysticks so that everyone's controller can operate the same without providing distinct advantages that have nothing to do with actual player skill?
How exactly would you provide the ease of notches? The whole reason they exist is because you feel the control stick click into place. That's not something you can just reproduce with software.

Also, modified controllers are tournament friendly, assuming you don't have Turbo Mode or some nonsense. That's pretty much standard FGC rules.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Well, there is a specific value that corresponds to the easiest shield dropping controllers in that corner, as there are 3 different values of tilt that give shield drops, and the easiest ones have it somewhere in the middle at the corner, as per the Kadano Video. Controllers who's corner notch align to that value will shield drop easiest. Therefore, you have them rotate their control stick fully in all directions, mapping out it's extremities, and then it auto adjusts it proportionally by a hair so that those corners now align with the shield drop value. I think it's a pretty simple and straightforward concept, and I think that it's a whole lot better than constantly controller hunting or modding when the game should honestly take care of things like that for you via calibration anyways.

This is how the one in F-Zero works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPMl4stBMLc

it's pretty fast and easy. You plug up your controller, do a quick 360 and then your good to go. If you could have your controller calibration setting specific to your tag that would be pretty awesome. People could get on the setup plug their controller and just swap the tag instead of calibrating each time they used the same setup.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
There's a GC controller calibration ISO here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jauol3fwd1j1l03/PAD_MEMES.iso

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it should help. You can use this on console or on Dolphin. It's really helpful for finding/testing deadzones and whatnot for ICs in Melee, and I'm sure it has plenty of other uses.
Thanks for the Vid, though I'll probably just use the one in 20XX 4.05 now in the extras. How would I use this on console? I get you could use it to help make notches.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Thanks for the Vid, though I'll probably just use the one in 20XX 4.05 now in the extras. How would I use this on console? I get you could use it to help make notches.
You can USB load it with homebrew software such as Nintendont or DIOS-MIOS. I personally recommend the prior.

Top Bottom