• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C4, me, and a major issue

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Quick little note; fan or SSB for a long time, going competitive with Brawl, will be posting here more often. Nice to meet you.

Anywho, I was curious about snake's C4 and if there was a good way to plant it on someone. It's too easy for someone to dodge it if you try and use it out of a down throw, if I recall you can't attatch it to a shielded opponent which is risky anyway, and just hoping it sticks to them like any other attack is just not good enough for strategy. Has anyone found a good, solid way?

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
By the way, i've been looking around and seen some people saying a few things about C4 that they're not sure is confirmed or not. Of the major rules of C4, and although I have no proof, here are some C4 rules the you'll just have to trust me on:

1. C4 can be dropped in the air. This is the quickest and least visible way of planting it.

2. C4 has no momentum - where it's dropped is where it will land.

3. C4 can be detonated in the air. Useful in Snake's recovery (last resort for recovery)

4. Falling C4 will not stick on an enemy. Wish it would, but it won't.

5. Planted C4 will detonate after set time (I don't know how long exactly though)

6. C4 has a downward radius as well - it can hit people below platforms and if timed right below the stage

7. C4 planted on opponents has "shorter fuse" (will explode quicker than if it were on ground)

8. A player with C4 on him/her can "pass" the C4 by running by someone else. Snake can be passed his own C4.

9. Seeing as C4 can only be dropped or put on someone, C4 cannot be placed on anything over a 90 degree angle

Hope this has been somewhat useful.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
you need to be close enough to them and then plant it. I think its easier to simply set up a situation where they can get hit by it when they roll right on it or carelessly walk on it.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
No guaranteed way to plant it on people. It would be too good if you could combo into it. You just have to get lucky and take advantage of your opponent messing up. Also, against Pokemon Trainer, if they switch pokemon it's a guaranteed C4. Just wait for the new one to come out and plant them.

VU!?

Smash Cadet
No guaranteed way to plant it on people. It would be too good if you could combo into it. You just have to get lucky and take advantage of your opponent messing up. Also, against Pokemon Trainer, if they switch pokemon it's a guaranteed C4. Just wait for the new one to come out and plant them.
Better yet charge a forward smash. It usually does like 40% or kills them.
Back on topic- planting C4's on some one seems near impossible in a 1v1 match. I've planted C4's in free-for-alls though. I haven't had a chance to try yet but I think you can plant a C4 on your parter in a doubles match =)

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't one try it as though they're going for Jigglypuff's rest move? If someone goes about it like that, I'm sure the strats for C4 planting will come to us.

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Nice idea about the pokemon. I really wanna try to plant it on a pikmin now, cause if you could I think that would be hilarious. Anywho, about using it like a rest it seems impractical just because you can't pull it off as fast. However, I play fairly often (it's my friend who actually has Brawl) and i've got some questions now that i'm going to answer if no one else gets to it before me.

If you can plant it during invincibility frames then there's a world of possibilities for doing when they recover from an edge. Furthermore, i've spent quite a bit of time planting it right on the edge of a stage, and if you're too far forward it just drops off the edge. I'll try to find out today if you can plant it while they're hanging there too.

Matu

Smash Rookie
Planting C4s in your opponent body is AWESOME. I REALLY love doing that. I guarantee you that planting a C4 in his body can give you the victory, no joke.

Yes, I plant C4s in 1v1, and yes, It is quite hard to do, but the secret is knowing your enemy's delay movements.

Now I am focusing muy training planting C4s in my enemy's body WHILE WE (Or only me.) ARE IN MID-AIR. It's very enjoyable listeng the sound of a C4 planted in his back! Therefore, if your opponent hears the noise, be sure that he will be very scaried, and will move in a different way that always. That makes your situation in the battle A LOT better. Now, if he doesn't hear that, he will be KO'd in a few seconds :laugh:

Trust me, C4s are awesome.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
You can plant C4 on your partners, yeah.

Also, rest comes out on the first frame or something. C4 is much slower.

You can't really plan for a C4, or go out looking to stick it. You just have to get the right opportunity and take advantage of it. If the other guy isn't giving you chances to C4 them, just forget about it and stick one on the ground. That way, you can combo into it or hope they forget or whatever.

You've got more options when there's a C4 on the ground than when there isn't. Keeping it saved to try to stick the other guy is generally a bad idea.

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Of course, of course. Using moves in situations where it's called for is always the best bet, esspecially with a tactical move like C4. If you just use it when it feels right, you have the best chances of avoiding things like the Parthenon combo (sorry, but it was a good place for a joke XD. No harm meant, friend.)

However, you say you CAN drop it and have it stick on an opponent from the air Matu? How?! Or is it just really hard and all my attempts just haven't worked yet?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
That makes sense. More mindgames can come out of limiting an opponent's movements than just their impending doom.

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Completely. And then you know you're doing it right if your mindgames not only limit their movements but give them an accurate idea of just how soon their impending doom shall be upon them ;)

Also, another C4 note that my friends don't seem to practice. I play a lot of games, and one technique that is the simplest and least used is commonly used for mindgames is sense of a color scheme. Picture a platform, white with a big ole black border. You just killed your opponent in a major match and while everyone is making noise over the lost stock, you take the time to place C4 in the center of said platform. Black trap on white background. Now, picture the same thing but you place it on the big black border. Black on black.

When using C4, think before you place about which will be more advantageous, them seeing it or them not. Then, think about WHERE you're putting it to get said effect, on light colors or dark ones

Thanatos180

Smash Rookie
Pretty much. I use it a lot in first person shooters mostly. You team color is generally blue, so hiding in blue-lit corners and darker areas makes you harder to see. Countless times i've had snipers look right over me cause I didn't stand out. So far it seems to be working in Brawl too. It's just harder to notice something black on a dark surface. Using C4 on Newport City or Shadow Moses is great because in one the C4 blends in and in the other you're always panned out so far the C4 is hard to see.

Either way it's just something to think about. By no means should you ALWAYS hide your C4. Showing it just so they will run away ( or towards something ;] ) can sometimes be better than actually hitting them with the C4.

Karuvin

Smash Rookie
quick question can you attach c4 to lets say Ike during his super armor frame?

ConeZone

Smash Ace
this is a little off topic, but what is the deal with his Dthrow? It looks like people are stunned or something when snake uses that throw. Am i seeing this right..

Matu

Smash Rookie
Of course, of course. Using moves in situations where it's called for is always the best bet, esspecially with a tactical move like C4. If you just use it when it feels right, you have the best chances of avoiding things like the Parthenon combo (sorry, but it was a good place for a joke XD. No harm meant, friend.)

However, you say you CAN drop it and have it stick on an opponent from the air Matu? How?! Or is it just really hard and all my attempts just haven't worked yet?
Sorry, I meant that if you use C4 when you are in the air, if your enemy is close, you will plant a C4 in his body even quickly than if you plant It on the ground. The animation is faster and a lot more agil. Try It!

I have played a few matches right now and I'm training A LOT with grenades and C4. Snake is finally mi main, is for me the best player in the game, indeed, only if you know how to use him.

@ConeZone: Snake's down throw is "weird", but It is the throw that causes more % (12 - 13% sometimes.), also, I use It trying to know what is my enemy going to do:

1- If he attacks from the ground, then I dodge and counter-attack with A, A, A, or strong A, A.
2- If he goes to the left while I'm facing left, I do dash attack to him.
3- If he goes to the right while I'm facing left, I charge a Smash attack to the right.

Obviusly, you must be VERY quick, and know your foe a bit.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
You can Jump cancel any attack out of a shield in Brawl, so it's quite possible to plant a C4 on your opponent instead of shield grabbing.

Top Bottom