• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick, Tilts or Smash Attacks for Marth:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I can't choose a controller setup to play Marth with and it's driving me insane.

First I'd be like to discuss pros and cons and hopefully people contribute to help other players with a similar problem.

As many of you know, having the C-stick set to smash attacks makes the input a macro of a direction and "A". As a Marth main this can screw you up when trying to space properly.
For instance; You want to do a retreating Fair so you don't get instantly punished because of your insane endlag, if your C-stick is set to smash the fair will give a forwards input while you are trying to go backwards. If you are not prepared for this it can feel pretty clunky when Marth tries to go in two directions at once. Other problems include instant fastfalling to your death if you try to use Dair with this setup (why are you using dair?)

So you'd want to change it to tilts so you can space properly right? Well, now you are missing your easy smash attacks. As an ex wiimote user this isn't much of a problem for me, except for when you factor in Marth's dash techs. You can do a smash attack pretty easy in between foxtrots. Also you can run backwards or forwards to adjust your spacing. With a Fsmash like Marth's, one use of this simple tech can end a match. Then again, with tilts you can do some tech that you couldn't before such as perfect pivot uptilts.

What control scheme do you use and why? More importantly: which scheme do you believe to have superior competitive value?

Personally I'm going 50/50 with either scheme. Winning with smashes in one, and offstage play with the other.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
I use Gamepad for those 420 Perfect Pivot grabs (yes i'm serious)

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
Wait,, does gamepad have an extra C stick function?
I don't know what you mean by extra C stick, but it's easiest to PP on gamepad because of it's medium sized analog stick, being bigger than any other controller :p

SSB Pride

Smash Rookie
I personally use c-stick for smash attacks, but really it doesnt make a huge difference.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
I actually use tap jump, so having the ability to do up-tilts with the C-stick is very important, as well as using dual sticking to get frame perfect rising aerials. You can't do either of those with smash stick. Also spacing with your aerials is even more important with the new shield mechanics, so I'd say that tilt stick is superior to smash stick even if you don't use tap jump.

Additionally, most of the time I use smash attacks with Marth is off of a setup like jab or FF nair, so I can just buffer the input with the analog stick during the end lag of the attack. It's no harder than using smash stick in those cases.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
All I do is turn tap jump off. C stick is fine as is to me, same with using the control sick and A to space out aerials and tilts. I've pretty much grown up on using the control stick and A, so it just feels natural to me when trying to space with Marth. I don't really have any issues with this setup.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
My settings are:
Tap Jump = On
C-Stick = Attack
Attack+Special Smash Attack = On

I find it much easier to space my aerials as well as execute frame-perfect rising SH aerials with tap jump and tilt-stick. It's also easier for me to do pivot tilts and walking tilts this way. Another thing I like about having the C-Stick set to attack is that the diagonal input registers as a Jab or Nair, so it offers better control over these attacks as opposed to using the control stick and A.

I kept AB Smash on for easier pivot F-Smashes. I find them easier to do with AB Smash instead of just the control stick and A.

Last edited:

Caststarman

Smash Rookie
My Controls:

Tap Jump = Off
C-Stick = Attack
Attack+Special Smash Attack = Off
L = Jump (For easy OoS Up B becaus TJ is off)

The C-Stick barely affects my play as Marth, although it does help my spacing a bit. I mostly have it set to attack for when I play Jigglypuff. With Marth, you're basically choosing one option over another with your C-Stick.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
I would expect every Marth here to have C-stick = attack but that seems not to be the case. Grounded tilts and Dair for me require C-stick = attack to be executed fast and consistent. Coming from a S64 player....

Top Bottom