• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U C-stick for tilts?

Dreadknotts

Smash Rookie
For a while now I mapped the C-stick to tilts for the ease and the aerial advantages but recently I've come under fire. A buddy of mine is convinced that using the C-stick for tilts is a horrible habit and that using it for Smashes is way more advantageous. Is this true? Should I break my habit? Is it worth it?

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Not much as far as I can tell. If you change it to smash, and then use it for aerials, you will experience changes of momentum. Say you want to do a fair with the c-stick on smash, you will get a boost forward as if you held the left thumbsick. If you don't want to deal with the extra momentum, keep it for tilts.

I am actually considering switching it to tilts. I prefer tap-jump on, so I find it hard to uptilt with my current settings. Using it for tilts would open up a few options for me.

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Your buddy is wrong. Not because the C-stick is better for smashes than tilts or vice versa but because he thinks his preference applies to everyone - which is what these custom controls are for, preference.

I use the c-stick for tilts as well for many reasons, most notably because I like it for perfect pivots to uptilts (character dependent), and because uptilt in general I find easier this way since I enable tap to jump. Now getting a little off topic tap to jump off might be better but Ive been playing this way since smash 64 and am not about to try and retrain myself.

Last edited:

Dreadknotts

Smash Rookie
Well he argues that doing perfect pivot to Fsmash for Pikachu and perfect pivot to Dsmash for Sheik (My two mains) are impossible/ way to difficult without the c-stick

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Setting C-Stick to smashes helps you whip them out at a moment's notice, which is useful at higher levels of play. Tilts can also be done by tilting the main stick slightly in the direction you want.

All things said, if you're not a tourney-goer it won't matter in the long run. Just do what you're comfortable with.

:231:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
It honestly depends on what character you're playing. Some get more out of a fast smash then a tilt and vice versa

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
Well he argues that doing perfect pivot to Fsmash for Pikachu and perfect pivot to Dsmash for Sheik (My two mains) are impossible/ way to difficult without the c-stick
Your friend is either trolling you or thinks he knows more than he actually does...At this point in the metagame's development, the number of situations in which using any variation of perfect pivot + x attack would be absolutely necessary or even optimal is almost zero. The number of situations in which using a perfect pivot to dsmash for Sheik pretty much IS zero. Even plain dsmash has limited utility for her.

As for attack on c-stick, it's about personal pref and what character you're using - it gives you more control over your aerial momentum and tilts (obviously) at the cost of losing quick smashes and possibly accidentally inputting jabs/nairs (diagonals on the c-stick register as these). For Sheik, her tilts > her smashes and her aerials are incredibly important, so I think it's nice to have greater control over both.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Just go with whatever you want.

You have your preferences, your buddy has their preferences. IMO, tilts on C-Stick is better in this game, as using tilts in the air doesn't stop your aerial momentum, unlike smash attacks.

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
I see my whole preference speech fell on deaf ears.

Perfect pivoting on pikachu is pretty much useless as I don't think anything other than normal jab continues the sliding animation. So your friend isn't really gaining anything with his Fsmash. Tilts don't really work either. Even if Fsmash on pikachu did continue the sliding animation imo Upsmash is far more reliable . Not to mention jump cancelling for that extra range is even an easier input than PP. Just my opinion though, I rarely use pika's Fsmash unless I read a neutral get up or something and theres no real need for any extra range. I can't see too many instances with shiek that would benefit either as your only option is her down smash and dash attack or grab is easier, fast, and sets you up better for combos. But hey, if your friend claims to benefit greatly from the extra 2 pixels he moves his pikachu into the Fsmash then let him do what he likes.

So to reiterate use what you like, I just gave you the reasons in my previous post why I use the cstick for tilts. Im not saying you should switch to smashes because your friend says its better and Im not saying keep it at tilts because thats what I like. I'm saying your making this more complicated than it has to be and should just use what you like better - which is probably tilts as you had originally switched it to that in the first place before you let your friend start brainwashing you.

Top Bottom