• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"C-Bouncing" - the Hybrid of B-stick and default controls.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Original Brawl thread (This also applies in Smash 4).
This technique was discovered by a Brawl Lucas player, Galeon and documented by HailCrest.​

C-Bouncing is the name given to a set of controls that allows for easy wavebouncing while retaining smashes/tilts on the C-stick.

1. Set any shoulder button to Special (e.g. L, R or Z)
Note: Although this works with any button, you'd have to use an awkward clawing grip to execute it.​
2. Enter Training Mode.
3. SH forward.
4. Press your Special button and flick the C-stick backwards at the exact same time.
5. Voila - wavebounced PKF.

Although it has limited application, C-Bouncing is useful for people who want to wavebounce. This control setup has a high learning curve but it combines the best of both worlds.

Check out the original thread for a full explanation.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I will practice this. I've given up being able to do 1 footstool rep consistantly when I switched to -sticking but this might push my Lucas over the edge.

Edit: I don't think this works in Smash 4 tbh. I keep getting wavebounced PK-freeze. I think it has to do with the way inputs are prioritized in Smash 4 compared to Brawl.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
It works for me.
You have to do Special and C-stick inputs at exactly the same frame.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
So I did more training mode because I want this in my life.
I've actually never played brawl (I do have it thanks to PM) so I've tested it in that game as well.
It literally took me 2 minutes to get consistant at this on brawl.
So there must be something going on in the way that smash 4's processes inputs.

Turning Alternate smash on/off doesn't matter.
Alt. smash is Smash4 exclusive and changes priority of your moves. If you press A+B with alt.smash on in the air you get a N-air, without it you get PK-freeze. So, naturally you'd think that this makes it impossible to wavebounce since Attacks prioritize specials right? Well, not really. Apparantly the C-stick (When put on attack) doesn't give 2 cents about your attack input and just does what he wants. When L is changed to specials and Up-taunt to attack you can use L+Up-dpad to smash. But you can't use Specials+C-stick to do a smash so that means that C-stick doesn't do what it tells you it's doing what leads to this.

Changing Attack/Smash on the C-stick matters!
For some weird reason putting your C-stick on Attack results in a wavebounce PK-freeze. This makes absolutely no sense because you are infact holding forward and pressing Back thanks to the C-stick. Because C-stick+Special doesn't give you a smash ever you can test if your inputs get through or not and with attack they don't but on smash they do. However on smash you always get a B-reverse instead of a wavebounce and after even more training mode I've finally cracked it why it kept failing.

Brawl's troubleshooting still applies
  • You do a short-hopped Bair (c-stick too early)
  • You do a SHPKF, no wavebounce (c-stick too late)
  • You PKF backwards but don't turn around at all (C-stick too late by 2-3 frames)
  • A full-hopped wavebounced PK Fire (held your Jump button too long)
  • Any combination of the above
But this needs to be added.
You do a Wave bounce PK-freeze. (Put C-stick on smash)
You PKF backwards but don't turn around at all (Held the C-stick too long)

The reason is very simple. In smash 4 you can charge your smash attack with the C-stick alone. It seems that the C-stick keeps pushing a direction and seeing how fuzzy inputs aren't a thing in smash you keep facing the wrong direction or when you do Attack no direction at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom