• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Bouncing: Tech and Potential Applications

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
C-Bouncing is a sort of grounded wavebounce, which allows Marth to pull back while using his neutral B (shieldbreaker), while still facing the opponent.
This allows for very good mixups, such as being able to run towards an opponent hanging from the ledge, and C-Bouncing shieldbreaker to cover neutral getup, roll, and jump.
This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ796o57IY4&ab_channel=BelakXvibe® shows how to C-Bounce and some applications.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
And running towards the ledge like that might make them think a ledge trump attempt is incoming. This baits out an attack/roll/jump.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah the OP forgot to mention it because at this point, it's assumed that we're all running tilt stick.

Yes, I am messing with you

Fledge

Smash Cadet
I wish it could be done without cstick set to special :/
Grounded wavebounce can be performed without C-Stick, but it requires more sensitive input and precision timing than the C-bounce technique.

Wavebounce is basically doing a turnaround B and then reversing it. The aerial version is easier to execute because moving the control stick left/right in the air only affects your horizontal positioning, it doesn't actually affect the direction you're facing in your jump arc. Grounded wavebounce, however, is trickier because on the ground moving control stick left/right can also change the direction you're facing, which during dash can engage the slow turnaround animation and thus interrupt the wavebounce inputs. Consequently grounded wavebounce timing and input is stricter. C-bounce technique is just an easier way to achieve grounded wavebounce by exploiting quirks of the C-stick (Bidou tech can also be used for wavebouncing), but if you don't want to change your C-stick mappings or use a custom controller setup it IS possible to do grounded wavebounce without using C-stick. It just takes finesse, precision and practice to get down.

1. Dash to the right.
2. Quickly move the control stick slightly to the left, then press B-button.
3. Quickly move the control stick slightly to the right.

You have to be careful not to smash the control stick left/right or push it too far, or else you'll execute side-B Dancing Blade. If your timing or input ordering is off you can either wind up doing turnaround B or a grounded B-reverse, so you have to be careful. Proper input all happens in less than a second and is fairly sensitive.

It's best to use the Gamecube controller because the control stick roller ball/gate is very large, giving a lot more space for finer precision movement than the smaller Wii U gamepad or the tiny, wonky 3DS control stick. Here's a video showing that it is possible to perform grounded wavebounce without C-Stick on the 3DS controller:

Last edited:

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Since I use L as Grab and R as Shield on my GCC, I have no real use for the Z button. So, I set it to Special Move just for this. Much easier to hold down Z and the C-Stick rather than the B button and the C-Stick.

Top Bottom