• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth ALL Moveset References (Warning: Spoilers!)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
byleth moveset references.jpg

So, we've all seen the gameplay shown by Byleth and clearly there are a myriad references to Fire Emblem Three Houses, so I(don) have decided to take the time to put all the moves in one place and link them to their source material (if there is any). It was quite the effort, so I'd appreciate if you credited me for making this thread and gave me a like.

Now let me make note of some things before we start: some moves are a bit ambiguous or smash original so keep that in mind. Also there are several miscellaneous animations are different between the male and female versions, in general with the male version being more stoic and serious while the female version is a bit more relaxed and gentle. The names of course are simply placeholder until we get their real names.
And now without further ado...

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Appearance:
    • Commoner Class/ Canon outfit for most of the game.
  • Render:
    • Identical to their idle animation.
      • Reference to their "selection" animation when chosen to perform an action on the overworld. Usually they'll quip a short line like "what's my strategy" or something dire like "I must pull through" if they're on low HP.
  • Stance:
    • Non-Enlightened One swordsman. The subtle difference wherein male Byleth has it in a tighter grip with the sword tip down and the female Byleth has a softer grip with the sword tip up is retained from the original game.
  • Idle Animation
    • Flips the sword backhand and brandishes it in front. Female version instead brandishes it facing forward and with a different pose,
      • Reference to their "selection" animation when chosen to perform an action on the overworld. Usually they'll quip a short line like "what's my strategy" or something dire like "I must pull through" if they're on low HP.
    • Female has a second idle animation where they adjust the sword on their shoulder slightly
      • Smash original
  • Crouching
    • Puts his fingers to his chin a thinking pose, a pose he does a lot throughout the course of the game in dialogue.
  • Taunts
    • Transforms the sword into a whip and flourishes it around himself before returning it into its sword form
      • Smash Original, could reference the Battle of Gronder, where Byleth has the sword in whip form before making it go into sword form.
    • Lets his sword drop to his side as he places his fist on his heart and looks skyward. Female version flips the sword back hand and leaves it behind her as she lays her hand gently on her chest and looks forward.
      • Reference to their respective victory animations in non-Enlightened One classes wielding a sword.
    • Points the sword forward and up towards the enemy.
      • Referencing the motion used to command battalions to attack.
  • Walk
    • Reference to the non-Enlightened One running animation where they hold the sword behind them as they move forward.
  • Dash
    • Reference to the Enlightened One running animation where they hold their sword out in front of them as they move forward.
  • Shield
    • Reference to Byleth's defensive position when an enemy initiates an attack.
  • Dodge Backwards
    • Back step from when you dodge a short-range attack
  • Dodge Forwards
    • Dodge roll to the side when you dodge a long-range attack
  • Alt Colors
    • 1. Male Byleth
    • 2. Female Byleth
    • 3. Dimitri
    • 4. Edelgard
    • 5. Claude
    • 6. Sothis
    • 7. Male Fused Byleth
    • 8. Female Fused Byleth
  • Victory Animations
    • Does a Cinematic Version of their victory taunt.
      • References non-Enlightened One, non-riding, swordsman victory pose for Byleth
    • Stabs the Creator Sword into the Ground and poses in front
      • References the game-over screen for FE3H
    • Unlinks their sword and whips it forward before linking it back
      • Smash Original
NORMALS
  • Jab Combo: Chop -> Roundhouse Kick -> Whip Flurry -> outwards horizontal slash or Chop -> Roundhouse Kick -> Donkey Kick
    • The first hit is Smash original, but it probably references Byleth's Enlightened One palm strike critical, or Nemesis's back fist critical. Both involve the creator sword user hitting the enemy with their off-hand before following up with a sword swing.
    • The second hit references Nemesis's missed Roundhouse against Byleth.
    • The Jab infinite is almost identical in appearance to sublime heaven
    • The jab finisher is a reference to Nemesis's back hand critical second hit where he knocks the opponent away by swinging outwards.
    • The last kick is the brawler dodge counterattack
  • Dash Attack: Downwards and inwards slash
    • Byleth's normal attack when initiating combat
  • Down Tilt: Whip Crack
    • Byleth's animation when he attacks from 2 range with the creator sword.
  • Forward Tilt: Downwards and outwards slash
    • The second hit of Byleth's normal attack when doubling without retaliation.
  • Up Tilt: Upwards arcing slash
    • The first time Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator, he breaks through the rebel priest's shield and kills him with an upwards arcing slash.
SMASHES
  • Down Smash: Aymr Spin
    • Smash original, could be referencing the Axe Combat Art animation for armored units like Edelgard.
  • Forward Smash: Areadbhar Stab
    • Dimitri's Paraselene Combat Art, aiming upwards it is nearly identical in animation
    • Angled downwards could also be a reference to Dimitri's final "attack" on Edelgard.
  • Up Smash: Sword of the Creator Tornado
    • Startup activation for Sublime Heaven when on a flying class.
AERIALS
  • Neutral Air: Failnaught Spin
    • Smash Original, might be a reference to how Claude likes to spin his arrows around or the Battle of Eagle and Lion cutscene where Claude is flippantly tossing his bow around.
  • Down Air: Axe Crush
    • Edelgard's final attack against Rhea.
  • Forward Air: Spear Slap forwards
    • Dimitri's jumping slash in the Flame Emperor reveal cutscene where he takes down 4 soldiers with one swing of the silver lance.
  • Up Air: Whip Twister
    • Startup activation for Sublime Heaven when on a flying class.
  • Back Air: Spear Slap backwards
    • Smash original, just a variant of the forward air except backwards.
SPECIALS
  • Neutral Special: Failnaught Pierce
    • References Claude's Fallen Star attack and/or Claude's final attack against Nemesis except aimed straight on.
    • Even the arrows are actually the special relic arrows that Claude has for his Failnaught.
  • Side Special: Areadbhar Carve
    • The first hit of Dimitri's High Lord showcase attack which is only seen when examining his class on the overworld map.
  • Down Special: Aymr Slam
    • Standard infantry axe combat art animation
  • Up Special: Sword of the Creator Lash
    • References the non-Crimson Flower timeskip cutscene where Byleth extends the whip and pierces the mask of a crest beast attacking Rhea
    • Could also reference his attempt to kill Kronya
  • Final Smash: Progenitor God Ruptured Heaven
    • Activation is just the 2-range version of Byleth's standard creator sword attack
    • References Byleth and Sothis's fusion
    • Pose when powering up is the Enlightened One stance, a class only accessible after fusing with Sothis
    • Name is a roundabout way to reference Sublime Heaven
    • Animation is almost identical to Nemesis's introduction cutscene where he tears apart an entire army with one swing of the sword.
THROWS
  • Down Throw: Slaps them down with the creator sword in whip form
    • Smash Original
  • Forward Throw: slaps them forward with the creator sword in whip form
    • Smash original
  • Up Throw: Sword Bunt
    • Smash original
  • Back Throw: Spin throw
    • Smash original
And that's all!
Think I missed anything? Mis-referenced? Reached for a reference that wasn't there? Let me know!

Last edited:
Top Bottom