• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buying a laptop

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I want a laptop for $600 - $800 that i could play games on like spore and the sims 3 when those come out. Any laptops for that price like that? Oh yeah and I want it to have a fast web connection to and a good sized screen.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Chances are you won't be able to get a gaming laptop for that price. Unless you look on eBay.

Alienware has gaming laptops starting at about 1,399 dollars.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I saw a nice HP labtop for $850 on walmart.com, would that work...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...1573&povid=cat4070-env7711-module81592-rLink8
would that work???
That's a decent gaming laptop. The 2.1 GHz will hurt you with frame rates of games like Half-Life and will make it impossible to play Crysis, but you could play most game fairly well with that.

But, that computer is kinda lacking on most other features. It's a decent computer, just not ideal for gaming.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
....it costs 1000 if you're getting the lowest model (MacBook, I think) in white.

And I don't think I've ever seen anyone honestly recommend a MacBook for gaming. Not trying to discredit you, just thought it was funny.

TBH, though, my girlfriend just got a MacBook and I've had some time to tinker around with it....it's good. I think it's just 'cause I've been on Vista a lot lately, but, Leopard's a **** fine OS. There were a little quirks that took some getting used to (CTRL Q to actually quit things, for example) but they're definitely better off than Vista machines.

...except in gaming.
You could always use bootcamp. Honestly who wants to play games on the PC anyway, we've all got Smash.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, I am once again in the laptop market. This time for realsies. :) Last time, money wound up taking it's toll and I couldn't buy anything, but this time I'm really in the game.

Currently looking at the Dell "Studio 15". Looks like a good system, good price. I think it would actually outpace my desktop right now, which is kind of cool.

Sensai

Smash Master
You're not getting the lowest one on the totem pole, are ya? 'Cause...that's a pretty shotty graphics card.

Other than that, that (my last 3 words all start with tha-, how odd) is a pretty nice deal. :-D

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't plan on doing a whole lot of gaming on it.

But one big thing is that it's ATI. NVidia's 2D drivers for Linux blow so hard, and they refuse to put out a new version nor provide any information for the community to make their own. I can do lots of 3D stuff with the NVidia 6600 I've got right now, but the 2D drivers suck so hard that just scrolling around in firefox gets slow and choppy.

ATI, however has embraced the open source community and released the specs for driver development on Linux. So that's a plus. And the it is a 256 Meg card and not some crappy integrated video support.

One of my concerns is getting the Dell built in Wifi card into monitor mode, I'm having trouble finding any resources on it... It'd be a bummer if I had to get a separate card to do that.

EDIT: I think it uses a broadcom chipset, but I'm not sure. I wish Dell had more technical info like the Sony website. They're pretty detailed.

Top Bottom