• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Button Layout for Sheik?

Lajasar

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Sheik for quite some time now and always seemed to be messing around with my button layout. I mostly just change my C Stick to attack for tilts. What does everyone else use?

Elfamis

Smash Rookie
NNID
elfamis
For me, everything default with two exceptions.
1) Set L to jump.
2) C stick to attack

The first because of the raising needles into bouncing fish.
The second for tilts.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
L to jump
X for grab
C stick for tilts (just to space fair on shield)

I used to have Z as jump but ever since I started playing melee I've started to get used to default controls and there were times where I'd press Z in melee when I wanna jump and in sm4sh when I wanna grab and it was ugly, so I changed it back. I used to have it purely for the needles > bf combo but I started getting used to L for jump for that. Other than that, L is for doing stuff OoS (up b, usmash) but it's mostly for other characters.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I play default so that going between games doesn't affect my muscle memory habits.

ShinRamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
KoRShin
Tap jump off (to avoid accidental jumps, though I'm considering changing this)

R jump (buffered full hop aerials and more control over my double jump in general)

C stick attack (zero risk of an accidental f smash when I want to drop shield and immediately f tilt, control over aerial momentum)

It seems that setting either L, R or Z to special may become a must for some of the recently discovered sheik tech though.

For the needles to bf combo, I just claw (index finger on Y, thumb on B). I could be wrong but I think Mr R does it like this too.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
tap jump and a+b smash off. tap jump on is probably fine but I don't want to deal with accidental jumps and sheik gains no benefits from double sticking. L jump for quick jump -> special like Up B OOS and needles -> bouncing fish. C Stick tilts for spacing fairs, sh uairs, and tilts (not all tilts, prolly about 50:50 A and C
Stock).

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
I use z for shield because I feel it is more responsive for tech-ing and for grounded b-reversals. I use claw grip so I don't have to worry about setting L to jump or anything. C-stick to attack. Tap jump off because there isn't any upside.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
L to jump
X for grab
C stick for tilts (just to space fair on shield)

I used to have Z as jump but ever since I started playing melee I've started to get used to default controls and there were times where I'd press Z in melee when I wanna jump and in sm4sh when I wanna grab and it was ugly, so I changed it back. I used to have it purely for the needles > bf combo but I started getting used to L for jump for that. Other than that, L is for doing stuff OoS (up b, usmash) but it's mostly for other characters.
Do you use the L trigger to SH too? I can't get consistent short hopping with triggers for the life of me.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Do you use the L trigger to SH too? I can't get consistent short hopping with triggers for the life of me.
No, short hopping with L is hell lol, I use Y for all my other jumping/short hop purposes

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
No, short hopping with L is hell lol, I use Y for all my other jumping/short hop purposes
I was trying to learn it for retreating fairs, because moving your thumb from the Y button to the C stick felt unoptimal.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I was trying to learn it for retreating fairs, because moving your thumb from the Y button to the C stick felt unoptimal.
That's how I do it, it's not really hard, wouldn't call it unoptimal though

edit: also I only use c stick for fairs when I'm trying to space them on shield. For combos or in general I use jump + control stick and A

Last edited:
Top Bottom