• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buster's Pikmin Explaination and Tactics

Buster High Man

Smash Rookie
I'm confused, does nobody experiment? I've seen alot of misinformation as far as what the Pikmin do, so I'm going to clear it up.

RED Pikmin do the most damage out of the primary three, but not at the loss of range and speed, like Purples. As far as I can see, you can't kill them with fire based attacks. In Norfair, they don't get killed on contact to the lava. Pretty much they're the most straight forward of them all.

YELLOW Pikmin have the most range of the primaries, but not at the loss of damage, like Whites. Pikachu has a hard time killing them. Their damage is decent, and they seem to have the most satisfying sounds when they hit. Their range really does make a difference. I feel as though I hit with their forward smash more then any of the other colors.

BLUE Pikmin have the lowest key ability of the main three. First of all, they can't drown. Other pikmin usually die after a short while on contact with water. Blues, not so much. The most unique thing about them, is they have the most powerful throws out of any of the pikmin. If you remember, in Pikmin 1 and 2, they threw the other ones out of the water if they were drowning. Let me put it like this, the back throw for a Red does about 7% damage and horrible sending. The back throw for a blue does a disturbing 13% and can be classified as a killing throw. Just to make it more level, 13% is alot. If my memory serves me, Dedede has the strongest throw in the game, and that's about 16%. Blue pikmin are for your grabs. They don't do more damage when you throw them at enemies, no matter what the Dojo says.

PURPLE Pikmin are your killing moves. Their range as far as forward smash and side b is concerned, is rather poor. Their main power rests in the air attacks. A forward aerial attack with a Purple pikmin is one of your best killing moves, especially when you follow them off the edge. And, as everybody should know, they don't grab on, but rather act as a more traditional ranged attack.

WHITE Pikmin are the weakest and fastest. They do the least damage, but they fly quickly. They have a much better sucess rate then the others, as far as latching. Sometimes you get connect with one across the level. What's important about whites is that, when they're attached, the posion damage not only hurts the character they're on, but also anybody standing near them. Not very effective in one on ones, but it makes Olimar have a slightly larger damage radius in free for alls. EDIT: Okay, so I was kind of wrong here. Whites are the weakest when it comes to smashes, but when you toss them, they do the most damage.

Edit Edit: From what I can tell, the Red, Blue, and Yellow all do the same amount of damage when you toss them, and Whites do the most.

Tactics

Single Pikmin Fighting: While you should generally have a full troop, fighting with a single pikmin, especially at low damages or certain stages (Shadow Moses comes to mind) can be very rewarding. For example. One Blue can rack up crazy damage with throws, especially if you don't need to cycle through the ones that do very little throwing damage. (Whites come to mind) I'm not saying to do this alot, but when you're fighting, especially in the air, you can get away with one pikmin. Another example would be one purple pikmin, and really pound those directional aerial attacks.

Hand to Hand: Some of Olimar's most effective moves on fast characters are the ones that use no pikmin at all. His tilts, two hit combo, and neutral air are all surprisingly fast, and are good against enemies that are trying to get in close. The idea is to hit them back into the range of your pikmin.

Basically, let me say this.

When you play as Olimar, treat yourself like a ranged character that's always doing ranged. Your forward smash dosen't have the best priority in the world. Heck, if you throw out your down smash at the wrong time, you could get two pikmin killed very fast. Always keep your enemies at a distance, but don't be afraid to be agressive if you see an opening. The most important thing is do not care about the lives of your pikmin. Flowers do nothing, they're purely for looks. Go ahead, throw your pikmin to their death. They do so little damage unless you can really stick them good, that you might as well be throwing them all the time.

I could go on and on about Olimar, but I'll leave it like this for now.

Slashed

Smash Cadet
Reds and Yellows are amazing with aerials. I often combo with a blue dthrow > y/r usmash > y/r uair > purple fair. If they come close to returning, I just give them a nice dair spike.

Another good thing about reds and yellows is that if someone's hanging on the ledge, you can dair them with a yellow/red Pikmin and spike them. It's impossible to get back on at a high enough percentage. Dair spikes, fairs, fsmashes, and usmashes are my primary kill moves with Olimar.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I've actually used the Single-Pikmin tactic in your post quite a number of times. Though, I didn't purposefully choose to use only one Pikmin, though. There are times when all of my Pikmin are killed, I'm being pressured by my opponent, and I have just enough time to pluck ONE single Pikmin out. Surprisingly, my Olimar can still fend off the opponent, even with a single Pikmin. Usually I just grab my opponent with my single Pikmin, throw them afar, and pluck the rest of my Pikmin out. I don't purposefully fight with a single Pikmin.

Fino

Smash Master
Not to bam on your post, but the 1 pikmin tactic sounds absolutely horrible. you're taking out your b> which is one of the easiest ways to rack up some damage on your opponent, not to mention the mind games you can play with that, and you take out you're b^, which granted, as your said, isn't necessarily needed on stages like shadow moses island, but the move is still effective. Also, from how I read it, in a stage like SMI and using your 1 pikmin tactic, spamming throws with blue pikmin will do you alright for perhaps 2-4 moves, but after that you get your diminishing returns and then you can't "rack up crazy damage" as much as you'd think.
Another critique here; how does the blue pikmin "have the most confusion" ?

Not trying to be a tool here, I'm just putting in my opinion ;)

~Fino

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Good summary. I always thought that blues did more damage with smashes. I don't like that "one pikmin strategy" using only one pikmin sounds very stupid IMO and as Fino says you basically take away some of your best damage moves and mindgames.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Unless I am reading this wrong, you are saying whites are not strong?

Ok...an unshaken white pikmin can gather up around 30-35% damage ALONE.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend using purples for aerials, as blue and reds make great Bairs and Fairs.

Yellows are godly with Up Smash, Forward smash, as well as U air

Buster High Man

Smash Rookie
What I'm really trying to say with the single pikmin tactic, is in certain situations, you don't need all of them. Let's say you're fighting some good metaknight, and you only have a chanc e to pick one.

Fight with it! Don't keep running away to pick more. In the air, you are just as good with one pikmin as you are with six. Sometimes better, if you have a purple.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
What I'm really trying to say with the single pikmin tactic, is in certain situations, you don't need all of them. Let's say you're fighting some good metaknight, and you only have a chanc e to pick one.

Fight with it! Don't keep running away to pick more. In the air, you are just as good with one pikmin as you are with six. Sometimes better, if you have a purple.
Oh if you meant it that way than I can see how it is useful. I assumed you were saying to use it if you have ALL 6 six pikmin with you. My bad.

Buster High Man

Smash Rookie
Unless I am reading this wrong, you are saying whites are not strong?

Ok...an unshaken white pikmin can gather up around 30-35% damage ALONE.

Also, I wouldn't really recommend using purples for aerials, as blue and reds make great Bairs and Fairs.

Yellows are godly with Up Smash, Forward smash, as well as U air
Whites aren't strong from the standpoint of the A button.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean by yellows have the most range? The only increased range I've found is very minor and specific, they have increased horizontal range on the USmash in front of Olimar, but only slightly more than red, which is only slightly more than the others. There is no increased range that I've ever seen/noticed/found for any of the other attacks, but please correct me if i'm wrong and clarify what you mean.

-True

C~SLY

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know what u mean about the 1 pikmin thing haha I use it when I'm at low damage and my oppenents are high damage

But the thing is that my friends just pwn me with diddy and metanight
I put up a good fight w/ his ddd
But the diddy and mk just murders me
We are equal in stocks but his diddy and meta just keeps getting beter and better

I'm pretty good against my other friends who uses diddy. I'm thinking its just that they know my playing style which owns

I get edgehogged constantly
And ikno that the purp knocks them off the ledge if u upB

I usualy don't throw my pikmin against diddy and metanight as much as the other chars caz I can't offord to lose pikmin against close combat that are fast like mk and diddy
I usually do smashes grabs and arials I don't really use side b against them

I think I need new playing styles
How do i play against certain chars like mk diddy oh and zero
Fast chars that go close up and destroy u?

Any tips plz?

=sly

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I think I need new playing styles
How do i play against certain chars like mk diddy oh and zero
Fast chars that go close up and destroy u?

Any tips plz?

=sly
Well, there are lots of topics about fighting specific characters. I suggest searching for them, because there's a lot of information posted in those topics. Really, though, there isn't any single method of dealing with opponents that like to get close up with Olimar. I suggest watching youtube videos of Olimar versus other characters, and learning strategies that way. I recommend reading NC-Echo's Olimar guide, which is stickied as the first topic. In his guide, he has links to several videos of him using Olimar against opponents, like Diddy and Meta Knight. You can learn a lot from just watching others play. Good luck.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to get better at reading which Pikmin I have next in line, as this seems to be a huge part of being aggressive with Olimar, so you know if you know which color is next you can plan which attack would be the most efficient: Pikmin throw, throw, USmash, etc.

Is there a trick to seeing which Pikmin you have next in line? In certain maps, and in any FFA games it can be rather hard to see. The Pikmin will also crowd around you which makes it even harder. My two main strategies for seeing the next Pikmin in line is to either: jump in the air and see who "follows" first; or dash/walk along the length of the stage so they line up in order.

But besides that is a pain to figure out the next one, I've tried to get better at "remembering" the order, but that only works sometimes. I make an effort to discern the whites and purples, but for the RBY varieties I kind of just use them whenever.

WiseWarrior

Smash Cadet
The one Pikmin tactic might cause some damage to your opponents, but you're left wide open, and in big trouble if you get knocked off.

C~SLY

Smash Rookie
Well, there are lots of topics about fighting specific characters. I suggest searching for them, because there's a lot of information posted in those topics. Really, though, there isn't any single method of dealing with opponents that like to get close up with Olimar. I suggest watching youtube videos of Olimar versus other characters, and learning strategies that way. I recommend reading NC-Echo's Olimar guide, which is stickied as the first topic. In his guide, he has links to several videos of him using Olimar against opponents, like Diddy and Meta Knight. You can learn a lot from just watching others play. Good luck.
Thx
So I'm guessing with olimar u just need to adapt to your oppenents playing style and
Play smart abiut it I guess ... Right?

And I have a comment about the flowers
I THINK the pikmin have more 'life' when they're a flower or a seed
Correct me if I'm rong

Oh and hiw does the whistle armour exactly work?
I kno there's no knockback
But how exactly does it work
And when is the invincibility frames?

=sly

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
For the record on anybody who has not noticed this yet, a StarFox character can reflect your pikmen when you throw them, making them actually attack YOU instead.

Top Bottom