• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bug(?): Idle hydrants can trigger counters.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but this is significant for a lot of matchups, so I figured it needs its own thread.

As the title suggests, hydrants can activate counters if the opponent just touches it. I've seen this occur with Greninja and Shulk, and tested it with Lucina. I assume it also applies to Lucario, Marth, Ike, Palutena and Peach.

Here's a video showing it happening. You can test it yourself.

And here (at 1:48) you can see my opponent's Greninja intentionally touching it to trigger Substitute's kick. (he was the one who initially pointed this oddity out to me)

And yes, this also happens with the On-Fire Hydrant.

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
I've seen that happen before myself also. I've noticed that when you hit the hydrant, it creates a hit box on a different side of it. So some counter characters can react to that. I think that might have been what happened in your video because you can see a hit thing appear above the hydrant. At the same time I'm unsure because Shulk reacted pretty late to it.

Still some things to learn about the hydrant I guess.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I don't think it's reacting to any hits. Just set one down and counter it while touching it. It'll just happen on its own.
@Paper Maribro thinks it's because the hydrant still counts as a projectile even when it's set down, since reflectors react to i.
Something else I noticed: if you hug the hydrant when you're invincible (say, from respawning) you'll keep getting "hit" by something until it the invincibility wears off.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's reacting to any hits. Just set one down and counter it while touching it. It'll just happen on its own.
@Paper Maribro thinks it's because the hydrant still counts as a projectile even when it's set down, since reflectors react to i.
Something else I noticed: if you hug the hydrant when you're invincible (say, from respawning) you'll keep getting "hit" by something until it the invincibility wears off.
You're correct. Anyone with a counter will activate it immediately when standing right next to it and there bodies touch it. As well as megamans mines will explode immediately on contact. And since it does he can spam it as long as he keeps hitting it.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
You're correct. Anyone with a counter will activate it immediately when standing right next to it and there bodies touch it. As well as megamans mines will explode immediately on contact. And since it does he can spam it as long as he keeps hitting it.
That's just how Crash Bomber reacts to things that aren't walls or characters that have hurtboxes. It also blows up immediately on Luma, trees, DH cans, etc. I assume it'll also blow up on (idle) fruit and power pellets.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just touch the hydrant and you'll hear a popping noise. Shielding next to it also causes hit bubbles.

Top Bottom