• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffering a roll after being death-choked?

FTL Guy

Smash Rookie
I remember when the game first came out, one could buffer a roll when death-choked and successfully evade Ganon's down tilt. Now, my cousin and training partner lands death choke to down tilt literally every time and I can never roll out of it. Has Ganon been buffed there? I'm really annoyed I can never roll out of it anymore.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I remember when the game first came out, one could buffer a roll when death-choked and successfully evade Ganon's down tilt. Now, my cousin and training partner lands death choke to down tilt literally every time and I can never roll out of it. Has Ganon been buffed there? I'm really annoyed I can never roll out of it anymore.
Well Ganon can act quicker out of Flame choke than in Smash 4, so yes he was buffed by a couple of frames, though believe me when I say this was necessary since he pretty much got next to no reward out of flame choke for most relevant characters prior.
From what I know Flame choke is a lot more consistent across the whole cast and I think you are at least guranteed to land one option, (so Wizkick for backrolls and F-smash or Flamechoke for forward roll, etc...) provided you READ/PREDICT your opponent's tech option.

So I don't want to sound presumptuous, but is it possible that you used a character in Sm4sh, who could consistently roll away from Ganon if you teched correctly, but no longer can? Well aside from trying to guess how good your tech skill might be, but you won't get anywhere with Ganon or any other good player for that matter, if you attempt the same option over and over again, mixup being the keyword/solution here. There is nothing unfair about flame choke, it's basically the same as choosing the right ledge recovery/option.
Every Bury move is way more unforgiving by comparison.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Which character are you using? Characters have different tech roll speeds, so if yours is slow, Ganon can punish it with d-tilt. Ganon has even more options now out of choke besides d-tilt, so be wary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom