• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bubble (Down B)

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
I don't really see people talking about Bubble very much, and I honestly don't know why. In my opinion it's one of the best moves in Squirtle's move-set. A well timed short-hop Bubble can lead to a really good combo starter, and it's edge-guarding potential is great. If you get the timing right, you can easily knock an opponent off the edge from one side of Final Destination to the other, and rack up at least 40% in doing so. Also, it gives Squirtle an even greater game of keep away, and you can easily follow up with a Withdraw to start combos.

I think Bubble is so versatile, and really gives Squirtle an edge against the heavier and slower characters, and even ones like Marth who have such short horizontal distance recoveries.

Also, I think I've seen Bubble once or twice deflecting some projectiles, but I think I might be seeing things. Anyways, what do you guys think?

didds

Smash Lord
I played a roy the other day who didn't know not to crouch cancel bubble. I was happy.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
After a lot of deliberating I'm just gonna say it...

Bubble > Switching to Ivysaur
also use the first hit of his jab in tandem with it for pressure

@ TheConfuZzledDude TheConfuZzledDude , I'm honestly not trying to be derisive in any way here.
Posting a that bubble is a really good move is like posting a thread that shine is a good move in the fox forums

It's a known in the squirtle metagame, and that is why you don't see any threads on it. The squirtle metagame, as kept alive by the 4 or so people on this forum, is more about momentum utilization and movement variation at this point (and epic pressure/punish game). He honestly doesn't have a bad move, they are all useful in a large number of situations, even waterfall is a hilarious surprise kill on battlefield, sorry that we don't have much material on teaching his, admittedly very technical and peculiar, playstyle (we should get on that @ Burnsy Burnsy , @Zwarm , @ ~Dad~ ~Dad~ ... sometime).

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
Yes. I like bubbles.

They don't reflect.
Turns out it wasn't the bubbles, but it was actually a shellshift! Just today I accidentally reflected ZSS's shot with it, but I haven't been able to do it again! Maybe I did something else accidentally... Oh well! Just wish I had a replay to show some evidence...

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Skype/Facebook group for THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST of the Squirtle's? lol

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Turns out it wasn't the bubbles, but it was actually a shellshift! Just today I accidentally reflected ZSS's shot with it, but I haven't been able to do it again! Maybe I did something else accidentally... Oh well! Just wish I had a replay to show some evidence...
shellshift doesn't reflect either. You could have perfect shielded maybe

Skype/Facebook group for THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST of the Squirtle's? lol
I think a better name would be THE BEST OF THE REST, as in the few people that still realize how much more we can do with the character.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I think a better name would be THE BEST OF THE REST, as in the few people that still realize how much more we can do with the character.
"Side b isn't as good as people think it is and watergun isn't useless: A Squirtle support group"

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
shellshift doesn't reflect either. You could have perfect shielded maybe

It was definitely during a shellshift, but maybe I just shielded as I came out of it and released without realizing. Whatever, whatever the case, if I don't know when it happens it's not that useful

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
It was definitely during a shellshift, but maybe I just shielded as I came out of it and released without realizing. Whatever, whatever the case, if I don't know when it happens it's not that useful
I have definitely power-shielded when coming out of a shellshift before. moving towards the opponents makes powershielding much easier so I'm thinking that was it. ZSS's lasers are really easy to Power shield with squirtle because he is short and it's safer to get the laser inside your upper shield radius (which is how you powershield) without hurtbox collision.

"Side b isn't as good as people think it is and watergun isn't useless: A Squirtle support group"
oh god, this is so true it's hilarious :joyful:

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Bubble is so much OP

Sudden direction changes with it and using it for horizontal recovery is the best

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Bubble is so much OP

Sudden direction changes with it and using it for horizontal recovery is the best
while I agree that b-reversal on bubble is an excellent movement option, I wouldn't reccomend anyone use it for horizontal recovery due to the large amount of aerial endlag, short bursts of side-b are almost always the best option for horizontal recovery

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
while I agree that b-reversal on bubble is an excellent movement option, I wouldn't reccomend anyone use it for horizontal recovery due to the large amount of aerial endlag, short bursts of side-b are almost always the best option for horizontal recovery
I should have been more specific,

When you use it near the stagebubbles will usually protect you and Squirtle just kinda slides left or right with no loss in height until after its over, which is neat

Teravolt

Smash Rookie
I actually like to use SH or shellsling Bubble to crawl attack a lot, it's a tad less reliable than some of the more common followups but it's fun, plus I can follow up with nair, dair, bair, or usmash at my discretion :p

Top Bottom