• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bread and Butter! Fundementals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
OK so I decided to pick up this character and I was wondering what is the core fundamentals of this character.
Things i should know or look out for?
Strengths and weaknesses?
Bread and butter tech skill?
Good and bad match ups?
How to play the natural?
Uncommon knowledge?
Advantages stages?
Basically how should they be played as base level. Don't be afraid to state the obvious because that might be exactly what i need. All advice is welcome!

Cres

Smash Rookie
All of these things can be answered in cunningkitsune's guide, it's amazing, I really think you should check it out, but I'll answer some stuff.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

I'll break them down into concise pros and cons:

Pros:
- Agile
- Amazing vertical kill power
- Is a fast faller
- Best upthrow in the game
- Shine and ability to gimp
- Has a plethora of options in neutral
- Great kill set ups on a lot of the cast
- No bad matchups (worst is even)
- Great recovery, long as hell.
- Aren't limited to a specific style.

Cons:
- Is a fast faller
- His weight makes him total combo fodder, so fox is kind of a glass cannon at times.
- Everyone is basically good against fox, well not good, they just know fox and his options most of the time. The CPU people beat up the most and practice the most on is basically fox. People always seem to focus on fox for a lot of things (good and bad) Mang0 says it best when he says Spacies are like Rockstars. They're extremely well known, and can also go down pretty hard lol. (this applies to the combo thing too.
- Prone to getting gimped cause of his extremely predictable recovery. Ya really gotta mix it up when coming back.
- Requires a considerably large amount of practice time compared to the other cast, as a fox main you have to put your tech practice to good use. You don't have to be overly technical, but you have to know your tech still.

Upthrow follow ups, you should become familiar with those and at what percents they work on characters, aka like upthrow up air on spacies works at around 110, kills at around 130, it's a broader range than that but it's just the basics, it's also stage dependent.

The rest is all in Cunning Kitsune's fox guide, it's in the front page so please. Just look at it and absorb the info haha.

(He's got other pros and cons, I'm just too tired to state them, hope it helps :) )

EDIT: Also, for "neutral" game and how to play it with him, it's really up to you. Look at how top players play, read around what people understand as the neutral game etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom