• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=1382]Brawl+[/drupal]

I just got Brawl+ (4.0) earlier today. I must say that it is quite fun and refreshing. But, why does it not feel like Brawl? Why does the game feel drastically changed?

What Brawl+ should be is, well, Brawl. Why not keep the character's metagames the same, nerf/buff them moderatly. Don't have Metaknight take more damage with his "flimsy armor", just nerf him and the other high tiers a bit, and raise up the bottom tiers.

My ideal Brawl+ would be a balanced game, one with only 3 tier sections (like 64). A game that still feels like Brawl, speed it up a tad and balance it out, but don't mess with things like gravity, momentum, short hopping, and hitstun.

All in all, I like Brawl+, I like the idea of it. It's a great idea, but I think it could be so much better. Does anyone at all agree with me in the sense that they should go back to the beginning, work on balancing the characters to middle ground instead of making them all seemingly God Tiers? Put the gravity, momentum, and short hopping distance back to normal, maybe lower the hit stun some, and then wait to see how things turn out and tweak it accordingly.

Am I the only one that would love for this to happen?

The Phenom

Smash Lord
In my thought; I think it turned out so far great. Making the game faster let alone does not make it fun. They are changing gravity/momentum values because it makes the game more fun.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I still prefer Brawl over Brawl+ but I just love what you can pull off in Brawl+ that is simply impossible in Brawl.

Pulling off a zero-death combo with Mario (my Brawl+ main) just feels SOOOO good. And it has that sense of accomplishment that Melee did when you do something like that, where as in 64 it was too common and easy with all that hitstun :p

Pulling off some crazy stuff like Dthrow>Utilt>Jab>Grab>Dthrow>Utilt>Uair>Fair for a spike... just thinking about it makes me smile on the inside.

I think the general fear is that if they didn't do all these changes to character physics, auto L canceling, speeding up tech rolls and everything, that Brawl+ would still retain its reliance on defense and a generally campy game.

D

Deleted member

Brawl+ is okay. I find it a little extreme to hack a console to try to make a new game play like and old game. Brawl+ is decent, but it could be much, much, improved.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I will still probably warm up to Brawl+ and start playing it a lot, but my friends will never want to play it with me since it is way different, they don't even like to play Melee with me. Let alone would they hack their Wii's, they would all say "I don't want mah Wii teh brick".

But as I said before, I like what they're are doing, and I wish them good luck

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Please tell me multiple air dodging is still in

also, I never got the whole "zero to death combo" obsession

D

Deleted member

If they made Brawl+ with actual game developers, it would be amazing.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Please tell me multiple air dodging is still in

also, I never got the whole "zero to death combo" obsession
No wavedashing of any sort is in there... that was an EARLY choice to leave out.

I never liked it in 64 because it was just too easy if you were playing somebody like Falcon who could just carry you across the stage (Or if your name is Isai and can do it with anybody...)
But with Melee you had to predict DI, techs, and limit your opponent's options to the point where they had to stay in the combo.
Same goes with Brawl+. It takes hard work and you feel accomplished knowing you just outsmarted your opponent to the degree where they lost a stock.

Something that rarely happens that makes you immediately hit Z to save that replay :p

Top Bottom