• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online Tournament Concept - Tell Me What You Think

darkNES386

Smash Lord
As many of you know, Brawl will have online play. However, it has been stated that by Mr. Sakurai that in the global option, "There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play." With this in mind... you can only have a maximum of 64 Buddies for the friend mode. So here's what I propose... a massive online colaboration. I have thought hard and here's the ideas I've come up with to make this work... with only the knowledge that you can enter up to 64 buddy codes and the assumption that you can do 1v1 or any form of free-for-all.

Many of you may have facebook accounts... using facebook to create a group that anyone with a facebook account can join, a discussion board will be created on which you will post your USERNAME / BRAWL CODE information. After the registration deadline... and a small allotted time for the director to organize all the entrants... a series of groups will be created based on the number of entrants.

There would be roughly 20-25 people per group. These groups would be posted for everyone to see and you would find your group and enter in the 19-24 other brawl codes of the memebers in your group. This would take about 10 minutes, TOPS, to do. Utilizing the friends message board in SMASH BROS BRAWL and facebook, you could communicate any problems with your group, should they arise.

Once you're setup, you start playing one game with set rules against each of your opponents. You will record if you won , lost , or if there was a disconnection. A SIMPLE point system will then be used to tally up your score. You will have to write down and record two columns. OPPONENT NAME / OUTCOME (for you). Then you will message the tournament director (not post) your results and the tournament director will take everyone's results and compare and see if there's any foul play and more importantly to just see where everyone stands in each group. The top 4-5 from each group would then advance to either another round robin round, perhaps on another day if this takes longer than expected, or move on to the final round.

So say 100 people register, 4 groups of 25 duke it out, the top 5 get into a new group of 20... do another round robin and the top 4 or 8 would enter the final elimination round of the tournament.

Here's where it gets cool... the tournament director would join the game with each of the two contestants and each of these battles would be fought one at a time. THe director is simply an observer who can ensure that results reported are accurate... and that there's no foul play. There you have it, the final round is fought, and the winner is declared.

So, considering that nintendo will not be having an online setup such as xbox live or battle.net... I think this is the best way to take matters into our own hands. It would work smoothly if people are honest about their games... and I would hope that everyone could be good sports.

Just imagine... you get to compete in at least 19 games alone if you play the first round with 20 people in your group. So you'll get plenty of experience and play even if you're not that hot, and all these games will be played at the same time, so no long waits for your turn to compete... and the message board in brawl will help you find who you still need to play for the round. Rounds would have a time limit, say anywhere from 2 hours to a full day or even a week, all depending on what seems to work best... but I am in the process of creating a group on facebook... SSBB BRAWL ONLINE TOURNAMENT PLAY ... join it if you're interested,

http://purdue.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24860025416

feel free to share any ideas... I plan to try this the weekend DECEMBER 7,8,9. I'm excited... I hope you are.

Top Bottom