• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Freeze before stage select even pops up

Roy115

Smash Cadet
When Im ready to play brawl (with hacks) I press start to select a stage but it freezes right when I press start can anyone help with that?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
That could be due to any number of things, what hacks do you have installed?

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Just texture hacks and stage hacks, and music
i'm going to guess it's a problem with either a stage hack or a texture hack (it's very rare for music to cause this issue)

if it freezes on everystage you try to load, then its most likely an issue with a texture on a character you're trying to use

try uninstalling your hacks a few at a time until you can narrow down which one was causing the problem

Roy115

Smash Cadet
i'm going to guess it's a problem with either a stage hack or a texture hack (it's very rare for music to cause this issue)

if it freezes on everystage you try to load, then its most likely an issue with a texture on a character you're trying to use

try uninstalling your hacks a few at a time until you can narrow down which one was causing the problem
Actually the stage select screen doesn't pop up so I cant choose a stage... and this never happened before which makes it strange.... Also I've tried that and it still freezes.. :/

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Actually the stage select screen doesn't pop up so I cant choose a stage... and this never happened before which makes it strange.... Also I've tried that and it still freezes.. :/
the stage select screen doesnt come up? hmm, in my experience that's been an issue with the stage select screen itself, do you have any modifications to sc_selmap.pac or common5.pac?

it could also be an issue with a code in your gct file if you have one

if you can't narrow down the problem it's most likely a faulty pac or pcs file

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yup I use common.5..... could it possibly be the issue?
it depends - within common5, did you add any modifications to the "sc_selmap" section?

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
ordid you download a pre-modified one that had changes to the stage selection menu

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I did... but it worked before and its weird that it not working now
that is indeed weird, but to start troubleshooting, here's what i would recommend:

in this link, you can find all the original, unedited files from brawl's data partition: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4vhNdf69qaSZ0N0MnBjOXFYMU0#

go into "menu2", and download "sc_selmap_en.pac"

make a backup of your common5.pac

inside brawlbox, open up your common5.pac, and right click on sc_selmap, and hit "Replace" (requires brawlbox 0.67 or later iirc)

and then select the sc_selmap_en.pac that you just downloaded

test it out and see if it will load

it's odd, but i've run an SD card that was blank EXCEPT for the one code that includes ZSS in the "Random" character, and it would still crash inconsistently... wiis are weird sometimes

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I only changed the stock texture
actually, that might be it if you changed the stock texture under the map section (Stock textures appear in 3 different places iirc)

if you like you can send me your common5 and i can have a look at it, my email is s.kischak@gmail.com

Roy115

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I finally found out why it was freezing and I fixed it :D

Roy115

Smash Cadet
actually, that might be it if you changed the stock texture under the map section (Stock textures appear in 3 different places iirc)

if you like you can send me your common5 and i can have a look at it, my email is s.kischak@gmail.com
One more thing common 5 wont open in brawl box.. can you check it out? I'll send my common 5 to your email

Last edited:
Top Bottom