• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser vs Yoshi help

Hydrad

Smash Rookie
So I've picked up bowser as my main and have been doing pretty good getting about 70-80% winrate online with him lately. And I've fought many sheiks ZSS and lumas and while they have been difficult I've always been able to put up a decent fight. Then I met this yoshi online. I battled this yoshi online about 12 times and won 2 games out of them. But most of the games weren't even close. There were times where he got me to 150% and killed me before I could even get a single point of damage on him.

I felt like his arial moves our prioritized me so I couldn't win the air match. If I stayed on the ground I would have to make my way through B up eggs. and if I got hit by one he would dash to me and combo me or just keep his distance and keep egging. If I ever did close the distance I still didn't feel like I had the advantage. If we were side by side I felt like his moves were faster and if he hit me with an attack he would just juggle me but if I hit him I couldn't put any pressure on him again.

I know I'm doing something horribly wrong in this matchup though. I tried to Bup his dodging attempts and would was thats where most of my damage on him came from. I also tried to chase a bit off stage but he would always go low so I couldn't really poke him out of the make with fairs. Most of my kills came from Up smashes when he got greedy and tried to attack from above.

I have 3 recordings of the match but no real way to upload them. I know without videos to see what I'm doing wrong its hard to give advice though so I'm going to work on seeing if I can get them up somehow.

Anyways any advice at all would be appreciated.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I think Yoshi is ridiculous in this game. His down-air is annoying, one of the most aggravating multi-hit moves that can deal around 30% damage when every hit connects.

Bowser vs. Yoshi seems to be a very difficult match up because Yoshi's attack speed trumps Bowser's own. Fortress out of shield is always a top option in any match up, especially vs. Yoshi. Take advantage of Bowser's only ranged attack. Fire breath when you can to rack up damage.

When he tries to set up a combo, try to vector out or airdodge. Abuse airdodge as much as you can.

Watch out for the opportunistic Yoshi. One that I fought against camped the stage edge when his damage is high. He ate me and pooped me out as an egg over the stage to win the match.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
We're not the only one talking about this MU. They're talking about Yoshi vs Bowser right in Yoshi's subforum.

Also I'm still trying to figure out the lay egg move he's got. I can't tell when it's going to hold in there long enough off the stage.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I disagree about abusing airdodge. As a Yoshi main (and a bowser secondary) I love to punish air-dodges. One great setup is to down throw and then Uair. If bowser airdodges, that gives yoshi plenty of time to punish on the way back with a Nair and still be able to get safe if missed or blocked. Also, because of how yoshi air-game works, there are many options he can use in case he reads an air-dodge, and all of his options punish bowser hard.

It is indeed a hard MU... Im trying to figure out what can bowser do but it is a hard call... maybe play a mix of zoning with offensive, playing with fairs to outspeed and outrange Yoshi's aerials. Never go fully in, always stop a few steps away from Yoshi and try to outrange him with fair... I guess that would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom