• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser vs King Deedede Matchup?

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
Heya guys! I'm having some fat luck with King Deedede. Irony considering I spent good time with King Jammies in Brawl. I'm not sure how to make an approach with my Blastoise. King Jammies' Gordo Throw mixups from a good player can be difficult to punch back at and prepare for his follow ups. Please advise!

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Most Jammie Penguins I encounter usually start the match with a Gordo. I punch it back at them. Some of them shield it, others get smacked in the face by it.

Vacuum Penguin outranges Bowser, but most of his attacks have a slow startup. Fire Breath is always a good approach option. Also, take advantage of the fact that Bowser is more agile than ever, so you can bait an aggressive King Jammies into attacking with his slow attacks and punishing his whiffs.

As with every opponent, Fortress out of shield to punish rolls and blocked attacks.

Last edited:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Most Jammie Penguins I encounter usually start the match with a Gordo. I punch it back at them. Some of them shield it, others get smacked in the face by it.

Vacuum Penguin outranges Bowser, but most of his attacks have a slow startup. Fire Breath is always a good approach option. Also, take advantage of the fact that Bowser is more agile than ever, so you can bait an aggressive King Jammies into attacking with his slow attacks and punishing his whiffs.

As with every opponent, Fortress out of shield to punish rolls and blocked attacks.
It's definitely a winnable MU, but it isn't quite that simple. Most competent ones won't open with or spam Gordos for that matter. They'll use it when they can punish you for trying to hit it, when you're trying to land, or other instances where it's safe for them. They can use Gordos to cover the wind-up and cool down of their bigger moves instead of just outright attacking with them.

Also they can throw one that will plow through your Fire Breath and smack you while you sit there. Fire isn't always as safe against D3.

Also their jab is pretty quick and combos into other moves fairly easily, or they can just finish the jab combo for upwards of 18% damage while knocking you pretty damn far away.

I find it better to powershield the Gordos and punish the cool-down for the throw.

Poke with fire occasionally, poke with jab/f-tilt, and take advantage of rolling/dodging more in this MU to better punish their bigger attacks. This isn't one of our hardest MUs but it definitely requires patience and being aware of Gordo trajectories.

Last edited:

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
---Freaking...Double...Post---

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
If Dedede gets cute and does close ranged Gordos, Dash Attack both him AND the Gordo for huge damage.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
Thanks guys! I've definitely worked Firebreath/Dair/Fair/FlyingSlam mixups into my game. Against good King Jammies it's as Mr.Bones said, this mixup doesn't work as well when he knows how to hide or mixup his Gordo game. I did manage to discover the Dask Attack punish on close Gordos by accident.

However this MU can't just be all punish can it? Or maybe I just need to get my spotdodge and powershielding right!

Last edited:

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
Abuse powershields and don't bother trying to edgeguard him. His gordos will destroy you or force you to dodge and leave you at the ledge instead at least in my experiences vs him.

Top Bottom