• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser main looking for tips

Rags

Smash Ace
I wanted to get some assistance against sonic as a bowser player. Is there anything I should look out for or avoid? I'm hoping this matchup isn't entirely helpless. I know that if it's one mess up, then I could lose a stock against him or get chain grabbed, since it's pretty much combo city. So any experienced players have advice on how to catch sonic off gaurd?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Just ban small stages to catch the player off guard in real life lol JK but seriously I don't know though

Rags

Smash Ace
I was gonna say... lul that makes NO sense. from what I can gather, nair is good in this MU, but I don't know how well it works. If you wanna play some I'm up for it :p

Rags

Smash Ace
Haha, I mean the nintendo servers are down, but you can still use custom servers... >.>

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Right anyway let me give you the 4-1-1 on the Bowser Sonic matchup.

It. Is. Scary. For both players, this is not a matchup I would call in anyone's favor because once Sonic is no longer in control, for any reason, that should justifiably be a stock for him. On the reverse, once Sonic breaks through the armor frames, that's game over for Bowser.

Bowser's Flame Cancel is very useful for keeping spin approaches on the low, and I've learned that if you tilt your Shield toward Sonic if he tries to approach with DownB, you can UpB OoS and horridly wreck Sonic's day. If Sonic actually gets you in the air and you're in control of Bowser, Nair is not so much 'Good in this matchup' and more 'the only way you're not dying.' Fair can be a great 'get away from me' move, but if Sonic has to stretch a little further for his combo than your hitstun has you in, your nair is gonna break him. A well timed nair breaks utilt strings, as well, but if you're in low percent you should be crouch cancelling anyway. CC UpB is a good way to deal with Sonic's SideB. Fountain of Dreams is probably Bowser's best chance, because it's unusually high ceiling and moving platforms can help Bowser weave through danger and nail his bair, which is probably the best kill move/setup against Sonic if you can hit him with the strongest hitbox. Not to mention if the platforms aren't raised the highest they can be, Bowser's getup attack is even more safe than normal.

Rags

Smash Ace
Right anyway let me give you the 4-1-1 on the Bowser Sonic matchup.

It. Is. Scary. For both players, this is not a matchup I would call in anyone's favor because once Sonic is no longer in control, for any reason, that should justifiably be a stock for him. On the reverse, once Sonic breaks through the armor frames, that's game over for Bowser.

Bowser's Flame Cancel is very useful for keeping spin approaches on the low, and I've learned that if you tilt your Shield toward Sonic if he tries to approach with DownB, you can UpB OoS and horridly wreck Sonic's day. If Sonic actually gets you in the air and you're in control of Bowser, Nair is not so much 'Good in this matchup' and more 'the only way you're not dying.' Fair can be a great 'get away from me' move, but if Sonic has to stretch a little further for his combo than your hitstun has you in, your nair is gonna break him. A well timed nair breaks utilt strings, as well, but if you're in low percent you should be crouch cancelling anyway. CC UpB is a good way to deal with Sonic's SideB. Fountain of Dreams is probably Bowser's best chance, because it's unusually high ceiling and moving platforms can help Bowser weave through danger and nail his bair, which is probably the best kill move/setup against Sonic if you can hit him with the strongest hitbox. Not to mention if the platforms aren't raised the highest they can be, Bowser's getup attack is even more safe than normal.
THANK YOU, finally the first substantial bit of help I've gotten. I played my friend, and I'd add Battlefield to that list of stages that bowser does well vs sonic on. Like you said, couch cancelling and up B OoS really do well against sonic. Though I hadn't known about bair. I meanly stuck with Ftilt because that kills him really early if done by the ledge. Also sonic doesn't have much to answer it with, if at all. CC Dtilts also helped me too, since it's just out of sonic's range. Though my general stratgey when I played was Get ahold of sonic and throw him over the ledge. Once he tries getting back on, I can get a few hits in which have him around 50% and then all I need is a Ftilt or two to finish him off. Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
THANK YOU, finally the first substantial bit of help I've gotten. I played my friend, and I'd add Battlefield to that list of stages that bowser does well vs sonic on. Like you said, couch cancelling and up B OoS really do well against sonic. Though I hadn't known about bair. I meanly stuck with Ftilt because that kills him really early if done by the ledge. Also sonic doesn't have much to answer it with, if at all. CC Dtilts also helped me too, since it's just out of sonic's range. Though my general stratgey when I played was Get ahold of sonic and throw him over the ledge. Once he tries getting back on, I can get a few hits in which have him around 50% and then all I need is a Ftilt or two to finish him off. Or am I going about this the wrong way?
Well, you're friend probably isn't the best Sonic in the world, so really what we've done here is help you on a base level, but this is something I consider a much more even matchup, and I doubt your friend is doing all the mixups he should be doing if you've simply got him offstage and that's his stock. You should help teach him, or guide him here, to improve his game so that you both can grow together. One of the best things Sonic has over Bowser is the ability to not have all of his recovery options covered easily. Fair can cover a lot, but Sonic can change his vertical positioning rapidly, and Bowser just does not have the off-stage game to deal with that. Things like a surprise spinshot->nair can mess with your edgeguarding, and if he really surprises you(as I have done against some opponents in the past), is save my double jump for a spinshot, and spinshot>Bair to suddenly shift the edgeguarding situation.

Also I think Sonic, like a lot of the cast, can frame perfect a footstool against Bowser in his UpB. Not 100% sure if it's specific to timing yet, I've only pulled it off successfully once.

Rags

Smash Ace
Well, you're friend probably isn't the best Sonic in the world, so really what we've done here is help you on a base level, but this is something I consider a much more even matchup, and I doubt your friend is doing all the mixups he should be doing if you've simply got him offstage and that's his stock. You should help teach him, or guide him here, to improve his game so that you both can grow together. One of the best things Sonic has over Bowser is the ability to not have all of his recovery options covered easily. Fair can cover a lot, but Sonic can change his vertical positioning rapidly, and Bowser just does not have the off-stage game to deal with that. Things like a surprise spinshot->nair can mess with your edgeguarding, and if he really surprises you(as I have done against some opponents in the past), is save my double jump for a spinshot, and spinshot>Bair to suddenly shift the edgeguarding situation.

Also I think Sonic, like a lot of the cast, can frame perfect a footstool against Bowser in his UpB. Not 100% sure if it's specific to timing yet, I've only pulled it off successfully once.
Well if you use the custom servers I wouldn't mind playing you then. I need to adjust to online and when it's safe to up b oos. This matchup is probably my biggest issue at the moment.

Last edited:

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I wanted to get some assistance against sonic as a bowser player. Is there anything I should look out for or avoid? I'm hoping this matchup isn't entirely helpless. I know that if it's one mess up, then I could lose a stock against him or get chain grabbed, since it's pretty much combo city. So any experienced players have advice on how to catch sonic off gaurd?

The only advice I could think of is timing bowser's super armor attacks. If you do them just right, then you should be able to stop Sonic from going ham on you, but that's probably easier said than done, with how fast the speed demon is.

Top Bottom