• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Move Specifics

Ya Bebto

Smash Rookie
There's not a lot of talk on here for actual techniques for :ultbowserjr:, which I assume is because he's not a new character for ultimate, but I didn't play smash 4, so I was hoping to see what quirks people found on moves that they like to abuse.

If anyone knows what causes your eject to give you your kart back (other than resetting on the ground), you instantly get it back when grabbed, and seem to get it back faster when hit repeatedly for some reason. Also, getting your kart back causes the kart projectile to instantly explode, which lets you counter :ultganondorf::ultridley::ultincineroar: grab specials by ejecting just before being grabbed. Since grabbing the edge dets it too, you can det it early on ledges, but it isnt useful that often.

If you jab combo while your back is to the ledge it breaks the jab spaceout mechanic, so you can endlessly jab someone for like, 60+%. It basically tries to push you away to stop you from endlessly keeping them comboed, but you're next to the edge so you cant get pushed off. The only exception seems to be if you're on a platform, and they are pushed to opposite end and are also unable to get pushed further. It tends to push you off in this case. I'm pretty sure this works on other characters too, but jr's jab is super big, so his probably holds them in the longest.

One of my favorite gimmicks is the cannon ball falling at a certain distance and angle depending on its charge duration, which lets you edgeguard from anywhere on the stage, and lets you drop cannonballs on people who wait for the dino to leave the edge. You can also hop fire them, which makes them double tap shields consistently where they drop, so if you get a hard read on them shielding the dino, their shield is almost entirely gone. You can also kart chase the cannonball, which you can also double hit with if you swervo just after hitting the shield the first time, which should be enough to shield break consistently. If you jump getup from the ledge, you can cannonball to instantly grab the edge afterwards. If you drop the cannonball at reflect characters, it can catch their anime hairstyles, or tickle their toes if they land on it (stop playing pit adrian).
The drop range on the cannon is almost exactly half of FD when uncharged, and just short of a full FD fully charges as far as i remember, meaning you can mess with people from anywhere.

Another fun one is his eject, which requires only the finest of reads to actually hit with the cart explosion, but if you can tell what side they'll be on when the kart explodes, it sends them at an extremely predictable trajectory, which you can get a hammer smack on consistently once you get the trajectory down. Also, people often try to punish landing from eject by smashing at the landing spot, but you can toss the hammer out just before hitting the ground if they try to hold the smash for when you're on the ground. I use eject like a counter because i'm an uninsured driver, so i have a lot of experience trying to get my kart back.

Dair can cover most of the ledge options other than dropping or roll getup, so repeatedly going for the Dair guard baits people into rolling getup, which you can kart drop mixup the roll spot for a cheesy KO.

The kart lets you chase people around relentlessly, and gives a lot of aerial mixup options, but no one seems to mention that it does less than half damage in the air, and has a wonky hitbox.

If you have someone grabbed while dino is approaching, you can get the most damage by doing the down throw so that the dino explodes just before the throw starts doing damage. If you do it properly, they won't get knocked out of the throw as usual, and take about 30% total.

When you're holding the dino shielded, people can attack you and det it, which hurts them. You can downthrow the dino and airdodge down to catch it again. This isn't useful as far as i know, but if you're trying to cover your landing with the dino, you might deny your cover. If you drop the dino so close the the ledge that you aren't sure whether it'll fall or come to daddy, then the person recovering definitely doesn't know, and they'll recover weird to avoid it.

My biggest issue with the koopas is breaking combos from basically any combo heavy character. I play a lot of heavies, which all have very strong anti combo options, but I feel like jrs Dair and Nair are both too slow and don't cover downwards well, so I was wondering what people do when getting juggled hard.
Lastly, :ultroy2: is our boy

Last edited:

7fields3

Smash Rookie
Thank you, you're doing the Lord's work. I wish I had more to add, but these are good tips and tricks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom