• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr Ledge Mixup Option

NintendoGameGuy

Smash Rookie
Hello There,

While practicing in training mode, I have discovered a small mixup while getting back to ledge to get a decent chunk of damage if done correctly and not spammed. To perform this, you must be under the ledge and your opponent must be nearby to the ledge you intend to get up onto. After this your your revival move ( Up + B)and once about to snap to ledge use your hammer to cancel out grabbing the ledge and quickly while in the hammer animation hit your opponent. Now I am well aware of the obvious issue of this such as "What if it doesn't hit?" This is why you have to make this a very obscure move not done in the match before and if done once it probably isn't going to work again. I recommend using this move on characters who are in a animation while charging up a smash attack or special. A great character this works on is Ike, when he decides to use his natural special to edge guard. Overall this move is just a neat little trick I thought I would show off and to be honest isn't going to work on experienced players.

Bai
-NintendoGameGuy :4morton:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Nothing particularly new, but definitely a legit mix-up. Still, it's not always a great idea just because a single move trading poorly can KO you. You do have some disjointing on hammer though so it's not all bad if you space well. Doesn't mean you're invincible though.

Any character can actually not grab ledge during recovery, by the way, all they have to do is hold down to not grab ledge mid-recovery. Meta Knight is a good example of this because his Up-B is a fast KO move, and it's a common tactic if people get too close to just mix-up by letting the second hit register before you grab the ledge.

I will say though, it's obviously completely useless against players not standing on the ledge, which some characters will just never bother with anyway, so in that scenario, you should probably just ledge-grab and get it over and done with (Though some will dash towards the ledge in that case, so you pre-emptively hitting that area is a nice read when it pulls off.).

However, as Jr. you want to be extra careful, because again any kind of bad trade can absolutely ruin you. If your opponent is trying to 2-frame you or hit you from the ledge/as you recover, you should probably be trying for an airdodge past them first since the hammer swing starts behind you and can clip opponents as you dodge past them back onto stage. It's overall safer. Just make sure the Up-B starts high enough that you can dodge and then hammer back onto stage otherwise you'll suffer landlag and you'll probably be punishable.

I'd like to also point out that if they shield it and you can get two hammer swings in, I've had this break shields before, so keep an eye out for that (Sometimes the first swing will hit first too if you move past them fast enough, I have no idea what in particular does this.).

Just again, overall, be careful about the height you start this at because sometimes it'll either not work, or you'll miss landing back on stage or grabbing the ledge on the way down, too, and you'll just fall to your death. It's basically a mix-up for a reason.

NintendoGameGuy

Smash Rookie
Nothing particularly new, but definitely a legit mix-up. Still, it's not always a great idea just because a single move trading poorly can KO you. You do have some disjointing on hammer though so it's not all bad if you space well. Doesn't mean you're invincible though.

Any character can actually not grab ledge during recovery, by the way, all they have to do is hold down to not grab ledge mid-recovery. Meta Knight is a good example of this because his Up-B is a fast KO move, and it's a common tactic if people get too close to just mix-up by letting the second hit register before you grab the ledge.

I will say though, it's obviously completely useless against players not standing on the ledge, which some characters will just never bother with anyway, so in that scenario, you should probably just ledge-grab and get it over and done with (Though some will dash towards the ledge in that case, so you pre-emptively hitting that area is a nice read when it pulls off.).

However, as Jr. you want to be extra careful, because again any kind of bad trade can absolutely ruin you. If your opponent is trying to 2-frame you or hit you from the ledge/as you recover, you should probably be trying for an airdodge past them first since the hammer swing starts behind you and can clip opponents as you dodge past them back onto stage. It's overall safer. Just make sure the Up-B starts high enough that you can dodge and then hammer back onto stage otherwise you'll suffer landlag and you'll probably be punishable.

I'd like to also point out that if they shield it and you can get two hammer swings in, I've had this break shields before, so keep an eye out for that (Sometimes the first swing will hit first too if you move past them fast enough, I have no idea what in particular does this.).

Just again, overall, be careful about the height you start this at because sometimes it'll either not work, or you'll miss landing back on stage or grabbing the ledge on the way down, too, and you'll just fall to your death. It's basically a mix-up for a reason.
I completely agree with you. I just started maining Junior and thought I would share something unique to the forum page as I try to get a feel for the character.

Top Bottom