• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bored of getting paid to be bored

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Don't fret about learning about life and establishing value in things late, in fact, in relation to everyone else, you should be about right on time, perhaps even early. It is in our nature to figure these things out later on, a lot of early life is exploration, experimentation, being lead by impulse, going through the motions. Humanity has always been like this. The Greeks would commonly lament on the irony of life: we finally figure out everything we want, gain wisdom, etc. only to find that our lives are nearing it's dénouement when we're most prepared for life. I am not quite sure how old you are, but you seem to be well off in that regard, in fact you are lucky you haven't gone to the end of the road only then to realize that the destination was but a mere dystopia for you.

Hope everything goes well <3

Also, psychology is an awesome subject, totally jealous you have that interest, I couldn't personally get into it despite my respect for it. To me there is nothing more important than understanding being and the way we be.

TL?

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5316]Bored of getting paid to be bored[/drupal]

I must have the dream internship this Summer. I get paid $23/hour to do basically nothing, update customer account information on Sales Force, give out license keys for security servers, and enable cloud service for certain servers, but 99+% of the time it's basically nothing. During that nothingness I go on psychologytoday and read up all kinds of blogs about psychologist posting about psychology. It turns out I'm a psychology kind of guy much more than an IT person. I thought I was a kid who loved computers over the last 5 years of my life. No wonder I've failed $20,000 worth of classes during my college years so far. I thought I was just a stupid spoiled American who didn't want an education. Understanding how people think fascinates me for some reason. Perhaps it's because I want to understand myself

But after about 8 weeks of reading blogs all day 5 days a week, all the excitement has drained out of me. I can't take reading anymore. It's so boring to me now. I need a serious break from it. Now during that 99% time at work I watch stuff on youtube, mainly My Little Pony. I wonder why that site, as well as FaceBook, isn't blocked when everything video games and even ponies was blocked even before I started working. 1 time I even went to a brony news site that IT didn't know about and they blocked it within an hour after I first went there. RSA sells security servers after all...

I feel like I shouldn't at all be watching any of this stuff because, well, it's youtube. That site is entirely a distraction from all things productive, isn't it? My parents try to scare me into kissing butt making me try to look like (pretend) to be a good intern. They preached about how important it is for the manager to like me so he can recommend me for the next job I get, whatever it could be

But I have to ask this question; who is seriously watching me? Who is going to monitor my youtubing habits and do anything about it? They can block any site within an hour after its 1st visit but they've allowed me to look at something not work related, but at least educational, for 2 months? I'm pretty sure everyone on the floor knows I do basically nothing all day. What's so bad about feeding just a little bit of my need to be entertained. I haven't read any blogs on PT about what too much boredom can do to the brain, but I guess I'll look that up tomorrow when I'm there. I'm pretty sure I'd be slightly more insane if it weren't for youtube

Psychologytoday has entertained me, of course, during all those 9 weeks I've been here. But I think the hidden cost of the way PT works is that it's a blog site. I like lurking blogs on a lot of sites (except this site. No offense). It's pretty close to being the same thing as reading and posting on an internet forum. The 1 thing I don't like about those blogs is that they don't feel that informative. They're written like stories too much. It's too entertaining. I don't think I've learning a brain anatomy term more than a few times because I don't recall any right now. I've even learned an anatomy term by watching an abridge episode of my little pony and today was only the 3rd day I've started slowly watching more youtube at work

What sucks about my 8 weeks of reading psychology blogs is that I can't consciously spew out anything I've learned. I read so many blogs covering so many topics that nothing I've learned is in-depth. I've only gotten my feet wet in everything. It's wettest under the topics of relationships and sex. As if I'd ever get into a relationship, let alone sex. I'm single forever. I'm just a boring internet kid who's still mentally a kid. No really, why am I learning life lessons so late in my life? Oh, wait, I remember now. It's because I've only just recently gotten a life. Up until a year after Zelda Twilight Princess launched I grew up alone playing single player video games. And when I got a computer of my own, I then continued to grow on the internet doing internet things. I've so rarely ever had real life friends

My manager wants to have a fancy lunch with me before I leave work this Summer. I bet he's going to want to talk about my experience at this job so much. I have this inability to talk to people, even friends. What's going to be so conviniently bad is that what I think I've learned the best about is sex and relationships as mentioned before. Wouldn't that be nice? The most knowledgeable thing I know about is the most awkward to say in person to a boss. We're both male

I'd like to end this blog on a more positive note saying that tomorrow I'm going to look for something better than psychologytoday to read about psychology. And maybe there I can find some in-depth information about the psychological effects of too much boredom, rather than reading too much of someone else's ideals about the topic. 1 of the most important life lessons I've learned this past year is that it's better to want better
You are very spoiled if doing nothing for TWENTY THREE dollars an hour is something you complain about. I'm doing a summer internship for a company's IT department as well. With the amount of people out there stuck with unpaid internships, I was excited when they told me I'd get $11. Not to mention I actually do work...

Holder, I'm 21 years old. I'll be going into my 4th year of college

You are very spoiled if doing nothing for TWENTY THREE dollars an hour is something you complain about. I'm doing a summer internship for a company's IT department as well. With the amount of people out there stuck with unpaid internships, I was excited when they told me I'd get $11. Not to mention I actually do work...
Ok, fine, it is complaining, but I felt like talking about it

I've been spoiled all my life. Everything is so handed to me and taken care for me. I never have to do a thing. It's probably what made me so autopilot

-

Oh, and to mention why I thought IT was my favorite subject. Back in junior year of high school I had the best teacher in the world who taught network administration for my last 2 years of high school. I also tried a sociology/psychology class taught by the worst teacher in the world. All he did to teach us was basically show us movies, most of which were entertainment ones like Clueless, and sometimes he'd pause and point out sociological/psychological trends. That confused me into mixing up preference of subjects. I just stuck with IT during all my failures and apathy because, well,

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
You really don't know how many unemployed brazilians avenge you.

Plus brazilians are very lazy,they would love to make money with that kind of work.
(I am included)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Also, psychology is an awesome subject, totally jealous you have that interest, I couldn't personally get into it despite my respect for it. To me there is nothing more important than understanding being and the way we be.
The beautiful thing about the human psyche is that we can be so vastly different yet some things ring throughout all our cultures. We're also capable of amazing things, more than we know.

The world is a wonderful place. There's so much we've yet to learn. :)

As for the original post, if it sucks that you're doing nothing, don't do it anymore and find a job that you want to do. Nothing is worse than being in a job you hate, even if the pay is good. Life is never too far gone as to completely bar doors to you. There is always a way to the pah that you want to be on. Look at your options at the moment in your life and see what you want to do, what you can do, things like that.

Basically my point is, if it's not working out for you, change it. You don't have to lose your job. If you want to browse forums or whatnot then you might be able to explain your situation to your boss. there are always alternatives, the ways I have just suggested aren't the only ones.

That's my suggestion. Hope it helps. ^^

Top Bottom