• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bonuses Need To Return!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Remember back when we were all n00bs playing melee for the first time? Do you remember that sweet sweet sensation of defeating someone on classic mode or beating a level on adventure mode, and right away you'd be rewarded with a screen chuck full of bonuses you didn't know what in the world you had done to earn, but it didn't matter; you had done something right and you were proud!

Then when Brawl came out, and after being kinda disappointed in subspace, but not yet admitting it to yourself, you went to classic mode, only to find that feeling of satisfaction, and arbitrary words followed being even more arbitrary numbers was gone! Sure sure you might get the ocassional bonus for beating classic mode, but that was pretty much it.

Then you discover even more to your dismay (despite having never really played it), that the bonus mode of play where you literally try to get the highest score, has been removed as well. What is the world coming to?!

So yeah, here is to hoping bonuses make a come back in ssb4. Who is with me?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Yes, oh yes! IIRC Melee actually had a VS mode based on this?

derp, I missed the part where you mentioned this. Still I like it!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Bonuses were the original achievements, so I would not mind to see them back. also some of them actually referenced skilled techniques in games(Pratfaller, Edge Hog, Stale Moves, etc_ so they had that as well.

Just as long as they don't have a trophy that only shows up when you get EVERY achievement again....I still don'thave that damn Diskun.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Bonuses were the original achievements, so I would not mind to see them back. also some of them actually referenced skilled techniques in games(Pratfaller, Edge Hog, Stale Moves, etc_ so they had that as well.

Just as long as they don't have a trophy that only shows up when you get EVERY achievement again....I still don'thave that damn Diskun.
I got him and thought my life was complete but then my Memory Card got corrupted and it was at that point in my gaming life that I said screw unlocking everything lol

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Yes, oh yes! IIRC Melee actually had a VS mode based on this?

derp, I missed the part where you mentioned this. Still I like it!
I took me forever to notice it as well, since I almost always played stock. But one day when flipping through I noticed there was another mode in there another then stock, time, and coin (which I only knew about thanks to the coin based event match).

This thought hadn't even occurred to me, but it is a good point. Achievements aren't bad, but unlike bonuses, they often required a large commitment, such as the one for beating 100 man melee with every character. There were certainly some bonuses that took a while (or infinite time in some cases as I didn't get them all) such as that bonus for beating all star mode without taking any damage, but there was something nice about them being on a per match basis.

D

Deleted member

I missed the fighter's stance bonus. That's the one when you used character's taunt at the end of the match. Who thinks multiplayer's bonus mode should return? That mode was present in Melee, but was removed in Brawl.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I missed the fighter's stance bonus. That's the one when you used character's taunt at the end of the match. Who thinks multiplayer's bonus mode should return? That mode was present in Melee, but was removed in Brawl.
I never really played the bonus vs mode, and on the one (two maybe) occasions that I did, it wasn't really fun, but it's exclusion from Brawl coupled wtih the lack of bonuses in classic felt like a slap in the face for someone who really appreciated bonuses. If the bonus vs mode still existed in brawl I might have played it just to see what the bonuses were and how to get them.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd love for the bonuses to return, not necessarily the Bonus type Match in VS mode, but I'd like to recieve points during Adventure mode for sure. Of course, I don't believe there was much of a point to them outside the Multiplayer bonus matches, so maybe they could have an online scoreboard for Adventure mode, where you could view how high the score of other players are, and which bonuses they achieved to earn that many points. They could also let you view your regional top 10 and the worldwide top ten ranks, like the time trial rankings in Mario Kart Wii. Of course there would be a list for friend rankings as well.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I personally don't care if bonuses return, though I would pray to the Gaming Gods that there's not another Diskun trophy equivalent should they do come back.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
YEESSS!!! I remember being SO bummed when I discovered that I'd never be able to be a True Friend ever again.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I thoroughly enjoyed the bonuses. I tried to strive away from the negative ones, but they were fun as well.
I even enjoyed the glitch where if you had a negative score at the end of a mode your score would be a large positive number. I love it when computers do that... unless its in software I wrote.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bringing back bonuses could be a big mistake if a Diskun trophy equivalent is implemented. Besides, it can be very annoying to always be getting the Predator bonus, even during team battles.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Do people actually take them so seriously as to find them intrusive? Aren't they nothing more than just a fun commentary on the way you performed in a particular battle?

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Honestly, I have no idea what this Diskun trophy is or why people care so much about it. Sure I got most of the trophies, but I didn't need to have them all. I am no completionist.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I have the Diskun Trophy, but I dunno how I got it. Is it, like, getting all the possible bonuses?

Yoshi

Smash Lord
That would be an awesome feature to bring back. Considering the WiiU doesn't have an achievement / trophy system in place, this would be a great substitute in a sense. Plus it was fun trying to get every, single, bonus.

Top Bottom