• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Usage?

Hazmat

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone Im a new samus main. Ive read a ton of the guides around and have been enjoying the hell out of smash boards! I wanted to make a post about bomb usage! I noticed there is a huge focus on missile canceliing and missile spam, however I also think it is important to utilize bombs! I have notice that in certain matchups bombs are incredibly useful to block certain approaches and develop some stronger mind games with your opponent. I also feel like it can be effective to keep stage control from characters who have hard to edgeguard recoveries. I also can use it to propel myself into the air and surprise approach with a low fair. Are there any other uses for bombs anyone likes? Or are there other options I should consider when gaining stage control??

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
I mainly use bombs for recovery and for escaping combos that would kill me off the top. The only characters that I use bomb in the neutral against are Ike, Wario, and Sonic.

Hazmat

Smash Rookie
Yeah I was having issues against quick characters like sonic qnd the bombs really opened it up and created a good block and even mindgame

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
With bomb mechanics aligning better with Melee's, bombs are once again extremely strong tools to use on shield. If you set a bomb on an opponent's shield, it will explode, and since Samus will be on top of the bomb, this will cause her to bomb jump, canceling the bomb animation, and allowing her to act immediately. This doesn't lock the opponent into shield long enough for you to land another attack before block stun ends, but it does make for some really tough to deal with pressure.

Litt

Samus
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that ! :)
If I remember correctly in 3.02 you could bomb on your opponent in shield and footstool on them forcing a tech position during the bomb jump upwards into a dair, not sure if you can still do this, i just dont incorporate much brawl tech into my game.

Another purpose I use bombs for, are an informational focal point or line, understanding how agressive my opponent is going to be crossing the line (bomb) I laid, how they have done it before, how they are most likely to deal with it and it gives me information about my opponent as a player and how aggressive they are going to be.

pooch182

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-3177-9014
Seeing that bomb doesn't ignore shield, and footstooling no longer forces a dropped shield, I don't think it would work the same, Barbie.

Litt

Samus
Seeing that bomb doesn't ignore shield, and footstooling no longer forces a dropped shield, I don't think it would work the same, Barbie.
Wasn't sure how footstool mechs work to be honest, thought maybe they would apply through shield because their literal head is still in the same location and you are still jumping on it :p. But I digress, I dont use brawl mechs, and if you ever catch me using one or them, it was accidental tech flubs for something else

Chevy

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly in 3.02 you could bomb on your opponent in shield and footstool on them forcing a tech position during the bomb jump upwards into a dair, not sure if you can still do this, i just dont incorporate much brawl tech into my game.

Another purpose I use bombs for, are an informational focal point or line, understanding how agressive my opponent is going to be crossing the line (bomb) I laid, how they have done it before, how they are most likely to deal with it and it gives me information about my opponent as a player and how aggressive they are going to be.
Grounded footstools don't put the victim in a tech state, and Samus jumps way too damn high even off of a short hop footstool to followup. The only way to plausibly followup was dropping a bomb to halt your vertical momentum, and at that point you might as well have just dropped a bomb in the first place.

Samuch

Smash Cadet
Wasn't sure how footstool mechs work to be honest, thought maybe they would apply through shield because their literal head is still in the same location and you are still jumping on it :p. But I digress, I dont use brawl mechs, and if you ever catch me using one or them, it was accidental tech flubs for something else
Not even the RAR? I know you can fake it in melee. Example of faking it: https://gfycat.com/DevotedZigzagCopperbutterfly

RAR is the only mechanic I wish melee had. that the other games have. So easy and useful.

Last edited:

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anybody else has implemented this, I'm sure someone has but I was messing around in training mode earlier. This would be very situational, but I bombed on top of my opponent and immediately wavedashed down. If I timed it correctly, I could almost go right into another attack like d-smash or grab. Hell you can probably go into another bomb. I think this would be more useful than actually bomb jumping above your opponent seeing as Samus jumps to high to get another hit off, unless your opponent is tall and you d-air.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I usually use bombs against slow characters. I'll stall my opponent in the air by just bomb jumping when I fall, and getting back on stage is usually a lot easier when I bomb jump around my opponent. I also tend to super wavedash as a use of a mind game, since it catches people completely off guard. To use the super wave dashing mind game, you just use a bomb on the ground and move forward towards the person, and then move away from them, finally using your super wavedash in whatever direction you feel in necessary in the situation.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I don't know if anybody else has implemented this, I'm sure someone has but I was messing around in training mode earlier. This would be very situational, but I bombed on top of my opponent and immediately wavedashed down. If I timed it correctly, I could almost go right into another attack like d-smash or grab. Hell you can probably go into another bomb. I think this would be more useful than actually bomb jumping above your opponent seeing as Samus jumps to high to get another hit off, unless your opponent is tall and you d-air.
This is a classic Melee technique that isn't used all that often. It's best as a platform chase option when someone is shielding above you. Wave-bomb grab/d-smash-f-smash are all good mix-ups with bomb-dair, bomb-FF nooch or bomb-bomb/etc.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Ohh ok. I feel like at higher level play though it would leave you open for too long. I could have bad timing on my inputs though.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Bombs are +6 on shield since the explosion immediately cancels you into an actionable state. That means that you can threaten f-air/n-air/and up-air that are guaranteed to hit before they can do anything. This is most useful with n-air because it's easiest to cover their body with. If you are frame perfect or 1 frame off you can guarantee that the n-air will hit their shield after the bomb, which could potentially be good if you are going for a shield break, you could also use this to poke if their shield is low enough and you space properly. Since you have this guaranteed pressure and a bunch of mix-ups it's totally viable to waveland into options when they're on platforms above you, which is when this is most useful anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom