• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BOMB MAN's DEMO (Get it?!)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Hello Mega Ma(i)ns!

BombMan.png

BOMB MAN, here! And I have a few things to say about this one move you've been sleeping on...MINE!

My buddy ENKER took a break from practicing his forms with his weird double ended spike thingy and made this video AND THIS EVEN BETTER BOMBTASTIC THREAD! LISTEN UP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFabmNf9Pxs

Sorry guys, I know Bomb Man is a little... In your face, shall we say. If you have any other techs to add, please comment! I'll make additions to the OP as this thread develops.

I. Intro

Hyper Bomb (HB) is all about area control. It's slow moving hitbox allows Mega to move with it and make two attacks at the same time. I feel it allows us to do so in a way Metal Blade and Shadow Blade cannot. I'm not saying HB is always better, but it definitely deserves enough notice to appear in our Official Customs set!

II. Grabbing Hyper Bomb as an item

Grabbing Hyper Bomb as an item is only a little bit more technical than grabbing Metal Blade.

Method 1: Jump>Hyper Bomb aimed down>land>A to catch. I think this is the fastest way to get Hyper Bomb as an item. You can also: Jump>Hyper Bomb aimed down>land>SH aerial to catch it while doing Nairs, Fairs, Bairs, etc.

III. Z-Dropping

As an item Hyper Bomb can be used with Z-drops in a similar manner to how Metal Blade is used!
Invinci-Bombs>aerials are all viable combos.

Unlike with Metal Blade, where usually we Jump off stage>Z-drop>DJ>Dair, with Hyper Bomb we can instead Grounded Hyper Bomb from stage>Jump off stage>Dair, thus potentially saving a DJ. Just like with Z-dropping a Metal Blade, an opponent can air dodge this neutral Hyper Bomb and then we can punish it, except after a single jump only! It's all thanks to the arc and speed Hyper Bomb travels in.

IV. Combos

Item HB Combos:

Item Hyper Bomb has less IASA frames than normal Hyper Bomb and thanks to it's tactful low speed when thrown it can combo into many attacks! I've found that these combos work at pretty much all percents as long as the Hyper Bomb doesn't straight up KO before you can fire off the second attack.

Introducing "Da Bomb!" (I grew up in the 90's, deal with it)

https://vine.co/v/iaXwauaHOHI

***Z-drop HB>FF>Utilt: True combo according to Training Mode. :D***

Down throw Item HB>aerial>Catch HB: When you throw an Item HB downward it "bounces" in the air allowing it to easily be catched with a aerial. While the HB is "bouncing" it is an active hitbox. Definitely interesting! I need to play more with this. Thanks @ ChopperDave ChopperDave for mentioning this!

HB Combos:
Normal throw Item HB>Dash>Utilt/Dtilt/Usmash/Bair/Fair/Nair: True combos! Jumping forward while tossing item HB makes the timing of these easier!

***Jump>Hyper Bomb aimed down>Pull away from opponent>Follow Up: Good at spacing and setting up follow ups. If the opponent shield's, dash grab! You can also dash grab against certain smash because Hyper Bomb is beefy enough to clang with certain smashes!! This requires more testing, but in the video you can see it working against Zero Suit's Fsmash. (This is my favorite tech with HB so far.)***

Jump>Hyper Bomb aimed down>Pull away from opponent>Dtilt: Another true combo!

V. Defense

Grounded Hyper Bomb aimed down: Shield! It eats projectiles and clanks with some smashes! We should find out which attacks it works well against!
Aerial Hyper Bomb aimed down>follow it vertically downward letting it be a hit box wall in front of you! This can cover your landing and potentially if it hits, open you up to a follow up!

VI. Attacking twice at once covering large amounts of ground

Since Hyper Bomb is slow, Mega can throw it at the ledge, run to where an opponent would roll to, and Dsmash or Usmash! The smash can practically come out at the same time as HB explodes allowing us to attack the ledge and punish ledge rolls at the same time! I think this is really cool.

This idea can be used anywhere on stage, let your bomb land somewhere and attack next to its hitbox with a Dsmash or Usmash to punish rollers, etc. I know we can do this with other moves, but Hyper Bomb's speed makes doing so with it easy!

VII. Hyper Bomb's Low Speed

The biggest complaints about HB are its low speed and how it can be easily telegraphed. But, if you think about it, we can use that to our advantage. We should use HB to condition our opponents to in react certain ways. Against HB, opponents can easily be led into a false sense of security as they think they'll easily out maneuver it; so use the same tech twice or more and then the next time you start the tech, switch it up mid tech to throw them off!

In general, HB forces us to think ahead a little bit more than Metal Blade. If you learn about your opponent then HB can be a great slow punish. :D

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Demoman?

No doubt that bombs can be effective. They're great for area control. I still like Meta Blades a bit more.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Demolition/demonstration! ;)

Fair enough! They share many techs, after all.

I just hope Mega players give Hyper Bomb more notice! I'd love it to have at least one slot in our official customs set. :)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One cool thing you missed is that if you get an item HB and throw it downward, it sort of bounces in place below you, even if you're on the ground. The bounce is long enough that you can regrab it, allowing for some nice fakeouts. It automatically explodes if it touches an enemy, too, so it can be a handy pressuring tool.

I like HB in theory but against actual players I find it's just tooooooo sloooooow. It's even easier for people to accidentally catch than MB, and it's harder for us to get in item form because we can't stick it in the ground. I can see it being good against keepaway playstyles, maybe, but it seems to just collapse under pressure.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Thank you for giving it a chance, ChopperDave! I totally appreciate your input!

I'll try that out and add it to the OP! That sounds awesome!

Edit: I found it slow too, at first. The more I play with it the more I make up for its speed. I think my skill with it is heavily read based, but reading is super important in this game anyways, right?

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Nice, I too hope the Hyper Bomb finds some worthwhile use, it's my second favorite neutral-b move (still prefer Metal Blade). I personally found the Bombs useful against Sonic, all his spin maneuvers and such kept reeling him right into the explosives.

Any chance an item HB would be good for stage spiking because of it's arc?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
The last thing I did in the video was an item HB stage spike! Is that what you meant? :)

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
All the more reason to use this move, haha.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to let everyone know I added significantly to the OP. I am trying hard to show players that Hyper Bomb deserves to be in at least one of the Custom Sets we put in for EVO!

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I've found something interesting again : HB is better than MB against Rosalina because it explodes instantly in front of her when she uses her Gravitational Pull. Insta-disrupting is just too good :3

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
No way! I'm going to explore this right meow. :3

EDIT: OK! Neat. The explosion doesn't hurt her or Luma, BUT, Hyper Bomb doesn't enter an item state like Metal Blade does after a Gravitational Pull. That definitely gives Hyper Bomb a leg up over Metal Blade in that respect! Cool find!

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
No way! I'm going to explore this right meow. :3

EDIT: OK! Neat. The explosion doesn't hurt her or Luma, BUT, Hyper Bomb doesn't enter an item state like Metal Blade does after a Gravitational Pull. That definitely gives Hyper Bomb a leg up over Metal Blade in that respect! Cool find!
if she attacks after gravitation pull, it becomes rosa's item. You should suggest the best sets for hyper bomb because showing what you can do won't be enough to convince people. I saw some crash bomb and danger wrap synergy. Is there ice slasher synergy?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Aw, I hear ya. That sucks. Thanks for letting me know!

There IS some synergy between HB and Ice Slasher. They combo into each other, but I felt it was a tad underwhelming.

I like HB with DW better. They both control so much space! And their slow speeds allows for each of them to provide some cover for Mega Man as he starts up the other one.

Thanks for the idea, I'll record more matches using HB sometime and hopefully I'll come up with more awesome stuff. When I do so I'll focus on discussing what it works well with.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Non-item hyper bombs go very high when thrown straight up. It's good for setting up air shooters on opponents recovering from above.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Oooo, I didn't think of that! Cool! I'll have to play around with that!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Now that patch 1.1.1 is out and HB has less ending frames, it's time to hit the lab again!

Things to add to the thread: aerial down angled HB > Utilt is a true combo! (Think Z1gma Upper!)

I am 95% sure HB is faster. It used to be so slow that I could throw it forward up and dash attack into it to catch it. Now I can no longer do that because it's faster!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We can recatch hyper bombs easily be throwing them down in the air. Since they hover a bit when thrown down, using an aerial after a downward tossed bomb is legit.

This is better than z dropping because we can do it without having to move backwards. Mega man drops it below him instead of behind him.

This also helps our air defense since the bomb acts as an active hitbox that covers our body.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Yeah man! That's one of my favorite things about HB, that it can serve as a projectile shield of sorts. I hope the patch didn't nerf it's ability to clank with other hit boxes!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
This doesn't count as a double post, does it? :p

I added my footstool combo to the OP! Enjoy!

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Nice! I'm one of those who want to see customs succeed, and Hyper Bomb is one of the coolest attacks in the game in my opinion.

Haven't gotten around labbing with it yet but gonna start doing that to see if I can find something more useful to add here.

We gotta make sure it gets added to a custom set if the EVO ones get updated.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Happy to hear you're on the Hyper Bomb team! Let's do this!!

Top Bottom