• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb/AGT Q&A

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Basically my intent in creating this thread is to provide a comprehensive resource to people that want to learn about PM Link's various bomb tricks by consolidating the relevant questions and answers from other threads. I'll compile these Q's and A's in the OP and update it as time goes on so that people will only have to look through one thread to see if their question has already been answered.

Q: What is an AGT and how do I do it?
A: It's an advanced technique that results in Link changing his aerial momentum and throwing a bomb at the same time.
AGT (Aerial Glide Toss): Much like a grounded glide toss except that you use your airdodge instead of a roll. To do an AGT you airdodge a direction while holding an item and then cancel your airdodges animation with an item throw. You need to throw the item within the first few frames of the airdodge and it's done most easily using the c-stick to throw the item. You can throw the item any direction you want so that you can go a different direction with your AGT than you throw your item. For example I can throw a bomb downwards with the c-stick while airdodging upwards so that I throw the bomb down and move upwards at the same time. Or I can throw upwards and move down, or throw forwards and move backwards etc etc. This can be very helpful for recovering and has useful applications on stage for mix-ups.
Q: What is an Instant Throw and how do I do it?
A:
Instant Throwing: Instant throwing is when you catch an item being thrown at you or in the air and then immediately throw it back at your opponent. This is done by catching the item with your airdodge and then cancelling your airdodge within 2 frames with an itemthrow. Now you can see this is very similar to AGT and you can cross them for some interesting applications. The easiest of these applications is Z-dropping the bomb and then Instant throwing it again while adding in AGT for mindgames. Here is a perfect example of this being done in a high level tournament match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pum74fN6EUA&t=5m42s You can see how useful this simple mind-game can be with these mechanics. I jump above DSF and Z drop my bomb while he is sitting in shield. If he spotdodges the bomb hits him so he reacts to my Z drop and rolls away. Even though mk has an incredibly fast roll you see me react to the roll and instant throw the bomb at him while AGTing away at the same time, hitting him and securing my stage position. Another use of Instant throwing is catching your bomb out of your own AGT. You can AGT downwards in the air and catch your bomb again with an Instant throw and then AGT somewhere else again for some pretty crazy air movement. You can also instant throw bomb that you lay on the ground for surprise bombs to your opponents face.
Q:
One thing that's always confused me in the terminology is when people say "bomb throw in x direction and AGT in y direction". Does that phrasing mean that I should be tossing the item I'm holding in a direction, and boosting myself with the dodge in another?
A:
That's basically what it means. Saying bomb throw down AGT up means I would air dodge up and C-stick down for my throw. AGT has at least 16 different ways to move and throw an item and Link can make great use of this by doing unusual movements while throwing a bomb.
Q: What is a Bomb Jump and how do I do it?
A: A Bomb Jump is a recovery tool that works by UpB-ing into your own bomb to refresh your UpB.
It took me a few hours of drilling on Final Destination to really nail down, but here's pretty much what you need to do.

1) While in the air, get out a bomb (try holding diagonally down and B, such that you don't accidentally fast fall; the steeper the angle you hold Down+B at, the better). Try to do this at the peak of your launch, before you start falling.

2) Use any remaining jumps that you might have. If you're tumbling and have none, then you can still make it work in most cases.

3) Air Dodge while holding Up on the control stick (to get that directional boost), and press A at nearly the same time (just a little after the air dodge). If done right, you'll 'drop' the bomb, and it'll fly up over you.

4) Quickly Up+B into the bomb. Keep Link moving as straight up as possible until you hit it. Moving too far to the sides could cause you to bat the bomb out of your way, or just plain miss.

Hopefully that helps. Just hop onto FD, or a map with a low blast line, and try it there. Link can, amazingly enough, recover from very low on Final Destination.
Q: What is a Bomb Punt and how do I do it?
A:
A bomb punt(or Zair-bomb) is simply hitting a bomb with your zair. There are many ways to accomplish this. The main way of bomb punting is by pulling a bomb and short hopping. At the peak of your jump Z drop the bomb and hold backwards away from your bomb so you start to drift away from it. Press Z shortly after and your hookshot will come out and punt the bomb at a nice slow arc at your opponent. You can hit multiple bombs at once by placing one on the ground and then standing behind it and preforming the bomb punt. If done correctly the bomb on the ground will slide forward and the one in the air will arc over it at the same speed; this is known as a double bomb punt. A triple bomb punt involves placing a bomb on the ground, soft throwing a bomb upwards and then pulling a 3rd bomb and setting yourself up so you can bomb punt as the bomb you threw upwards passes in front of you hitting all 3 bombs at once. All 3 bombs will fly at your opponent with different arcs covering every approach.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
A bomb punt(or Zair-bomb) is simply hitting a bomb with your zair. There are many ways to accomplish this. The main way of bomb punting is by pulling a bomb and short hopping. At the peak of your jump Z drop the bomb and hold backwards away from your bomb so you start to drift away from it. Press Z shortly after and your hookshot will come out and punt the bomb at a nice slow arc at your opponent. You can hit multiple bombs at once by placing one on the ground and then standing behind it and preforming the bomb punt. If done correctly the bomb on the ground will slide forward and the one in the air will arc over it at the same speed; this is known as a double bomb punt. A triple bomb punt involves placing a bomb on the ground, soft throwing a bomb upwards and then pulling a 3rd bomb and setting yourself up so you can bomb punt as the bomb you threw upwards passes in front of you hitting all 3 bombs at once. All 3 bombs will fly at your opponent with different arcs covering every approach.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Bomb punts rock. They're cool, unexpected, and cover an area you couldn't normally.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Wow I just found this and I just started learning wave dash and l cancel,now I find this!

I already learned arieal glide toss and bomb jump but I can't do them every time yet.I will all of these they sound useful.I used link a lot casually in melee only recently found out about advanced stuff.

EDIT:I practiced some more and I do AGT upward to bomb jump decently and I need to practice bomb punting more.

I know this is for bombs,but I want to ask is there anything like this for boomerang or arrows?

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
I love AGT. It makes it so link can recover from anywhere. If he isn't KO'd he can make it, you just gotta believe. I've been trying some of the trickier stuff but have yet to master it.

Somewhat off topic but:

This isn't a question specific to AGT but rather bombs in general, and I figured didn't warrant a thread on its own.

I notice that roughly between 70-110% link can crouch then down-throw a bomb, and ground himself such that he can do a wake-up attack. However, link only ever grounds himself laying feet left side of screen, head right side of screen, regardless of how he was facing when he threw the bomb.
Not the biggest deal in general but is this considered a glitch?

I was wondering if link could use a bomb ground himself to use the invincibility on wakeup attacks to edge guard characters that are often overzealous with their recoveries, like Ike is often. I know its completely illegitimate but would be somewhat hilarious to pull on your friends. Anyway, is it considered a glitch? Should I even report it to bug forums? Is everyone already aware of this behaviour? Am I weird?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
@Jade there isn't really any advanced rang or arrow tech like there is for bombs. Bombs are just that much more versatile.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I noticed I with rangs and bow were more versatile...Lets give Link the ablility to shoot up or while your charging you can angle it like in his games,but he can't control in midiar like pit just during the pull.

Probably to annoying or overpowered though.

SoggyEagle

Smash Journeyman
Just starting trying this;

I feel like I'm practically c-sticking the instant I air-dodge into the thing when I get it right.

I'm afraid to try it off-stage, but I think I'll just start playing Link in general a bit more, for now. I'll come back to tricksies after a bit of time.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Are there videos to learn any of these things?

I feel I'd pick these things up easier if I could see them being done.

Top Bottom