• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog Writing

Link to original post: [drupal=5524]Blog Writing[/drupal]

The more you type the fewer readers you will get. Random blarghs spawns randomness. Short and concise, yet serious overtones in word selection and writing style will still achieve randomness, but increases likelihood of some amount of sanity. Grab attention of these sane readers, then allow yourself to say everything you want to say in a blog rather than in a huge arse post.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh **** off smartypants! :mad:

Its only a theory. I was looking for completely ripping apart my ideas rather than cutting off my head without a trial.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Dude it's always been common knowledge that short stupid blogs are the most popular in terms of reading and replying.

The only exceptions are drama filled callouts.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Too compendious, did not decipher.

(I enjoy the longer blog posts because they are actually blog posts and not centers for random internet socializing)

Good, I was beginning to think this blog was going to stay completely devoid of randomness. My expectations were not missed and my obvious theory is slowly gaining evidence in this experiment.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The shorter a blog post is in a thread like this, the more like you are to get replies?

To me, blog posts have nothing to do with that. I look for something i'm interested in or can relate to, and go from there.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Every once in a while, it's okay to let people relax and have fun. That's what the Post Count thread is to me anyway; let people get crazy there instead of in other, more useful blogs.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
It's contextual. Perhaps the biggest exception to your first stip., is that if you are writing niche blog posts for that particular audience, then you will generate popularity and viewers based on how well you get into analysis of the field and are rewarded for being detail oriented, but this is primarily focusing on content and not so much length.

Take for instance Paul Campos's Blog: Inside the Law School Scam, in which a dean of Law School at Colorado Boulder shares his dissenting opinion on the admissions process of his profession. Professor Campus has many posts filled with quantitative numbers for employment analysis and his reader comments do not show any variation scheme based on relative blog post length.

It is possible that this popularity could apply to Teran's exception, that people love drama filled callouts, the idea of a law dean bashing the process of accepting students sounds like an entertaining contradiction that puts him at odds with his own job. However, even though I believe this factors into it, I also believe that high quality content will get popular if the appropriate audience is aware of it.

Blogs themselves are a dime a dozen and unlike smashboards, there is no general population already there to read whatever you have to write. In the case of sources being in plethora ie blogs on their own, it depends if you are able to get a target audience and often times this is achieved by writing in niche and providing detailed commentary that people wouldn't get from someone else perhaps writing about the same genre.

Professor Campos has his hook, he is a professor discussing problems with law school and gives us an "insider" perspective on the genre he writes about which is the law school admissions process. The line is his use of data and research to uncover faulty employment statistics and fraudulent polling methods and the sinker is that his ultimate message is for students not to go unless they are willing to gamble $120,000 for a 70% shot at winding up unemployed.

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883
I would like to be able to write a blog in case I need to some time in the future, but I've run into a problem. I came here to say this because this is an excellent tip for blog writing to remember (also, because the title implies this being a general blog writing discussion).

My problem is the site gives me an error every time I try to make a new blog message. it's really quite annoying, because my profile page isn't that good a place to let people know what's going on in my life (nobody seems to know about the tablet i got for christmas :ohwell:)...

So I ask, is the blog server down, or is there just something I'm missing here?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
User Blogs is down for at least the next three weeks. You can post in old blogs, but you cannot make a new blog until the technical issues from the server migration are resolved.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
On the bright side, at least there IS a projected fix time.

Top Bottom