• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black screen after pressing "Play"

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Just bought a used wii and brawl disc, and had PM 3.5 (Hackless Full-set) ready on an SD.

The menu to start PM starts like it normally does after entering Stage Builder, but once I hit play and it fades out, nothing loads up afterwards.

To clarify, since I suspected the files on the SD card might've gotten screwed up, I formatted it and re-downloaded a fresh set of the files from the site, so that's not the issue.

Brawl seemed to run without issues, too, so I don't think it's the disc. The Wii doesn't seem to be loading slowly or anything either...

Help?

EDIT: accidentally had said that I bought a new wii and brawl disc. That's not true. Fixed to used.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Pretty sure I've found an indicator of what's going on. Usually when the black screen comes up with coding stuff (after opening stage builder), the screen scrolls down to show more text as it loads things, before it freaks out with the green screen and cuts to the PM startup menu.

In my case, it doesn't scroll at all, presumably because "Eventhook release failed with code 0".

What does this mean
How do I fix this
Helppp

EDIT: something else I've found is that the Wiimote can't control anything on the PM starter menu, when iirc it normally should be able to.

Attachments

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Strange issue.

The event hook failing is normal. Infact, EVERYTHING seems to be running normally from what you described other than it not loading.

Gonna sound like a weird solution but check the SD card and make sure it is not set to "lock".

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Strange issue.

The event hook failing is normal. Infact, EVERYTHING seems to be running normally from what you described other than it not loading.

Gonna sound like a weird solution but check the SD card and make sure it is not set to "lock".
Good catch (forgot to check that lol), but that didn't seem to fix anything. I tried with it both locked and unlocked, just in case I'm being dumb and getting them mixed up. No bites.

Concerning the coding screen...I still think the fact that that's the only text it loads (instead of loading more so it scrolls down) is an indicator of...something at least. Thanks for confirming its not the eventhook release, whatever that is

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The last text that should appear should be "Valid ELF image detected" and it doesn't scroll at all.

in the picture you showed, there is only one line of code missing (the one mentioned above) and I'm sure that's just because you were trying to take a picture without missing anything.

Take a few pictures of the back of the disk for brawl.
Make sure to have good lighting so that the picture picks up the scratches (if it has any)

Since it's a used Wii and Brawl the disk might be scratched and that could be the real issue despite it working normally while not project M'ing

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
The last text that should appear should be "Valid ELF image detected" and it doesn't scroll at all.

in the picture you showed, there is only one line of code missing (the one mentioned above) and I'm sure that's just because you were trying to take a picture without missing anything.

Take a few pictures of the back of the disk for brawl.
Make sure to have good lighting so that the picture picks up the scratches (if it has any)

Since it's a used Wii and Brawl the disk might be scratched and that could be the real issue despite it working normally while not project M'ing
Nope. That's all the text that comes up. What would that missing line indicate?

Also, checked the disc already; no scratches.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Update: the PM IRC help chat advised that the issue may have been that the Wii needed a system update, and that seems to have fixed things. @ Saito Saito I appreciated the help, anyhow!

It's been months since I grinded tech~ So ready

Last edited:
Top Bottom